jimbojohnny56

The teams I hate...

Atlanta

Houston

Dallas

Oklahoma City

all are too modern. trying to look modern for modern sake

Also make shift all nicknames that don't make sense...except one

easy fix, move Jazz back to New Orleans, Hornets back to Charlotte and give Utah the Bobcats. All names would make sence for the city or region they play in

No fix for Lakers though...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The black on the Knicks' blue jersey doesn't actually bother me so much (and the black outlining is subtle enough on the home whites that I really don't notice it most of the time), but I guess it's mainly b/c it's less than what it was before when they first added it (oy that looked bad). Anyway, if not black, what would you replace it with? or would you just ditch the side panels altogether?

Oh, and as much as I like the old roundball logo, I also like the current one sans triangle/New York on it like in my signature (though head-to-head, I'd probably choose the old roundball just b/c I have a thing for the classics).

Charlotte Bobcats- Their primary logo aside, I actually liked their first look. Their new look just seems bland in comparison, and they end up looking like, ironically, the Hornets.

Cleveland Cavaliers- In theory this team has a great set, and if they would stick with white at home, wine on the road, and the navy fauxbacks on special occasions they wouldn't be on this list. It's their insistence on wearing the navy on the road and their over-reliance on throwbacks and special event jerseys (didn't they bust out a jersey one night to celebrate a new message board or something?) that drag the team down. Again, it's a shame, because their "stated" regular set is so strong.

Golden State Warriors- First, they need to lose the Golden State name. Go back to San Francisco Warriors. The admiral had a great point, that name just sounds "right." Yes, I know they don't play in San Fran, but if the Angels can get away with calling themselves a Los Angeles team despite playing in Anaheim then the Warriors can get away with calling themselves a San Francisco team while playing in Oakland. The colours themselves are great, but they need new logos. Maybe something Chicago Blackhawks inspired. When done in a respectful manner the Native American look can work.

Los Angeles Clippers- They need a logo and uniform set. They seem content to stay in LA, and that's fine, but they need a new look, something that incorporates an actual clipper would be nice. The colours can stay though.

Utah Jazz- The Nuggets, Grizzlies, and Mavs have the double blue look covered. What I would like to see is the replacement of the navy with purple for a unique purple and powder blue look. The bland wordmarks on the jersey have to go too. Either use the wordmark from the mountain logo or the western look from that updated note logo that's been floating around.

Washington Wizards- Bring back the Bullets. The local basketball team's name has no connection to gun-related crimes. I'm not saying the old wordmark and hands logo was the best look, but something along the lines of an update of this could work.

As a disclaimer, I'm an 80s baby and a 90s child, and the following thoughts and views will reflect this fact. *plays Killer Tofu by The Beets"

Clippers: since returning to those BEAUTIFUL blue Buffalo unis would be overkill in this era of the Blue Pandemic, I'd say go back to the orange and black unis they used in Buffalo with a slight modern tweak of some sort. Better yet, they should just go back to Buffalo. Period.

Grizzlies: rehaul unis and return to the uniquely awesome Vancouver color scheme. Teal and brown look dope together IMO.

Bucks: though their current is ok, I REALLY miss the purple and green color scheme of the 90s.

Thunder: I actually LIKE their unis (shocking, I know). They're simple but not too bland. Though I agree that their current logo is very bland and NBDL-esque.

Magic: tweak the logo with the wordmark used on the current unis.

Sixers: go back to the unis with the stars on the sides and the art deco font. Those are suh-weet!

Suns: go back to the 90s unis with a modern tweak (those black jerseys were illmatic).

Jazz: As a southeastern Louisiana native, I will not comment on the Jazz name because I agree that it's like MPLS fans griping about the Lakers. However, I would like to see them return to their 90s look as well. Whatever happened to using copper?

Wizards: go back to the Bullets. It's just such a "G" name. LOL Those red, white, and blue unis are so tight! Though, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the orange and blue scheme. Really though, their current color scheme more than suffices, as I applaud its uniqueness.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Washington Wizards- Bring back the Bullets. The local basketball team's name has no connection to gun-related crimes. I'm not saying the old wordmark and hands logo was the best look, but something along the lines of an update of this could work.

What was the rationale, if any, for the team name change?
It has been awhile since I have been asked this question. Believe me when I say it was not an easy decision. I won a World Championship under the name Bullets. However, too often during the mid to late ?90s, I would hear the word ?bullets? associated with guns and violence instead of my basketball team. While the name was longstanding, I finally reached a point that I was simply tired of the association between the two. Then, my good friend, Prime Minister Rabin was assassinated in Israel. That was the final straw. It was time to change names. With regard to the name ?Wizards,? we held a three-tiered contest to determine a new name. The name ?Wizards? was selected by the fans and has adorned our uniforms since that time.

Source: http://www.nba.com/wizards/mailbox/abepollin_030909.html

That doesn't make it any less of a crappy name.

And yeah, can we finally stop the "lets play musical chairs with the names of the Hornets and Jazz"? The Jazz play in Utah, the Hornets play in NOLA. Lets leave it at that.

Give Jazz nickname to New Orleans go back to Green, Purple and Gold colors

Hornets back to Charlotte, drop the Gold

Bobcats or Grizzlies name to Utah

And I read one time that one of the team name under consideration for Memphis was the Express. That should fit perfectly since they play at the FEDEX forum.

Another one was that the Renegades was a choice for Oklahoma City, that would've been cool too

Phoenix should loose the Gray

Knicks loose the Black

Atlanta go back to Red, White & Gold

Houston should go back to RED,White & Gold too;keep uniforms, but use the fonts of the Twin Towers era

Clippers a new logo is needed

Still debating on the colors for the Wizards though...

Also make shift all nicknames that don't make sense...except one

easy fix, move Jazz back to New Orleans, Hornets back to Charlotte and give Utah the Bobcats. All names would make sence for the city or region they play in

No fix for Lakers though...

Really? It's perfectly fine for the Lakers to keep their name and the Jazz, Hornets, and Bobcats to swap theirs? The Jazz name means about as much to Utahns as "Lakers" does to Los Angeles (if not more, as we don't have any MLB, NHL, or aren't on the radar for an NFL team)...but please, stop beating this dead horse. This is about looks, not names.

This Utah-Jazz-should-change-their-name thing is getting about as overplayed as [person-falling-down-dead, Cleveland-in-bathtub, gag-that-lasts-too-long] from Family Guy is (cue flashback). :rolleyes:

(Sorry to display my distaste for you FG fans). :/

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Nets and Knicks - Need a new jersey (Keep NYK with black outline, sorry, i like it)

Thunder - Need a new logo an jersey

Clippers - Need a new logo

Bulls - idk y? just neva liked the logo, maybe needs to be modernized

Bobcats and Suns - drop main logo and use secondary (change the PHX in the logo to Suns)

There aren't so many things to do...

Category of returning to ''correct'' colors:

Hawks back to red and gold, blue alts if they must

Utah needs to fix something, maybe just emphasizing purple more would be enough; anything to get away from the current rec league mess

Dallas needs to have green in their identity somewhere, even bringing back the old alt would have been ok

Other changes:

Clippers need some, any, identity - it's not often that a team has no great history or tradition to fall back on, starting from a clean slate would be fine!

Bobcats should have kept the orange, it was so unique; although their current shade of blue is kind of interesting as an alternate.

Philly at least returned to proper colors, but they look like K-Mart replica jerseys with the single color trim and wordmarks. Touch that up and make it look like a professional jersey and they'd be fine.

OKC just needs a different logo, their unis don't seem that bad. They should just go back to Seattle though, that's the biggest problem.

New Jerseys look, while not quite as glaring, rivals Utah and the Clips for nothingness; a redesign when they get to Brooklyn would be good.

Knicks dropping black would be ok.

Grizzlies are fine.

And finally, yellow jerseys should be reserved for home teams.

What was the rationale, if any, for the team name change?
It has been awhile since I have been asked this question. Believe me when I say it was not an easy decision. I won a World Championship under the name Bullets. However, too often during the mid to late ‘90s, I would hear the word “bullets” associated with guns and violence instead of my basketball team. While the name was longstanding, I finally reached a point that I was simply tired of the association between the two. Then, my good friend, Prime Minister Rabin was assassinated in Israel. That was the final straw. It was time to change names. With regard to the name “Wizards,” we held a three-tiered contest to determine a new name. The name “Wizards” was selected by the fans and has adorned our uniforms since that time.

Source: http://www.nba.com/wizards/mailbox/abepollin_030909.html

One of the only really funny jokes I've ever heard Jay Leno was about this - he said something along the lines of ''The Washington Bullets have decided to change their name so they no longer have a connotation of guns and violence. From now on, they will simply be called the Bullets.''

Here's my list with no particular order...

Nets - Hopefully they're going to make a massive identity switch when they move to Brooklyn

Rockets - Simply the worst uniforms in the league, next to the Utah Jazz. The new Mickey D's alt improves it a tad but overall their identity is very plain and boring!

Thunder - Everything from the logo to the uniforms looks like they should be set in the WNBA

Jazz - I really don't mind their current recolored logo but they have one of the weakest uniforms in the league! Seriously, what the heck is wrong with an organization that can produce a one color uniform with wimpy little accent lines on the sides! I'm sickened to have these as our uniforms where the wordmarks are the only saving grace...

Warriors - Horrible identity that pays zero homage to their heritage!

Bobcats - Like the colors but please lose the primary logo!

Wizards - It's time to tap into the full potential of what this identity could be. Heck, even using a headshot of the Magic's mascot "Stuff" as a logo would be worlds better than what they currently have.

Regarding the Nets, I think it would be really cool to maybe see them implement the Brooklyn Bridge in the logo. I think that could look great. There is no way they would keep what they have now.

The only place the Nets are moving to is Newark

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

One of the only really funny jokes I've ever heard Jay Leno was about this - he said something along the lines of ''The Washington Bullets have decided to change their name so they no longer have a connotation of guns and violence. From now on, they will simply be called the Bullets.''

Kinda like his joke about the Washington Redskins changing their name to appease the Native Americans by changing it to the "Maryland Redskins"

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Wizards- If you don't want to go back to wizards, at least change back to the red white and blue colors

Pistons- Change the logo, keep the wordmark but get rid of the basketball in the background and bring back the cylinder logo from the bad boys era and bring back the flaming horse and drop the P logo as the alternate logo

Celtics- Go back to black shoes at home full time..... period!

OKC Blunder- I mean Thunder- do something, I dont care

Hawks- Red and Gold

Jazz- like the one poster said, keep the current unis but bring back the purple and gold

Warriors, Blue and gold

Bulls- get rid of that silk fabric on the unis it looks horrible

Knicks-drop the black

Cavs- drop the blue alts

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Give Jazz nickname to New Orleans go back to Green, Purple and Gold colors

Hornets back to Charlotte, drop the Gold

Bobcats or Grizzlies name to Utah

Good Lord.....

Can that suggestion please become a bannable offense? It's impractical, it's not original, and it ignores the fact that this nickname was bloody well fine for nearly 30 years in Utah.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived