Excerpts from Tim Donaghy's book

Wheelhouse

So Tim Donaghy has a book, and the NBA was so upset that they threatened to sue the publisher if it was released. Here are some bite-sized passages:

Excerpts from "Blowing the Whistle"

I have to declare that I'm not a fan of the NBA, but I don't dislike it, either. For me, it's just there. There isn't a team from Pittsburgh, so I don't care. I've never watched a full NBA game on TV or been to a game in person. Just not my cup of tea.

I have no problem believing every word of this is true. I'm sure things like this happen in every major sport. But Jesus H. Christ, as a sports fan reading some of this was downright heartbreaking.

What say ye, CCSLC?

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

So you don't? All the facts he throws out, the names, the dates? The money he made betting on games? All just part of the Donaghy sleazeball post-jailtime money tour? Throw the NBA under the bus for a buck?

Maybe.

EDIT: in response to the admiral, obviously

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

While I think this is an example of a crew-member-that-got-thrown-overboard-now-trying-to-bring-the-ship-down-with-him, I think Donaghy has a point or two to make here.

I don't really think that the league is trying to fix games, or anything of that magnitude. However, like I said in another thread, everybody and their dog knows that "star treatment" happens, as well as the home team often having a slight advantage in terms of favorable calls. The league needs to acknowledge and resolve the issue instead of sweeping it under the rug (in the "this doesn't happen" kind of way).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Do you think he's lying, though?

I personally think there?s some truth to it, there has to be, but it?s not 100% accurate. From what I read, nothing really jumped out a great deal and surprised me. Overall, the NBA is still my league and basketball is still my sport. I don?t think there are any big conspiracies that the league is trying to sweep under the rug; this is just an unfortunate case of events that?ll improve the league for the better in the future.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

So what do you think is not true?

Well for one, I don?t think the refs get together and conspire to let the league?s star rip it up every night. I also don?t think the refs were going against such defensive minded players like Raja Bell.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Archived