Baseball Hot Stove

njmeadowlanders

By the way, before anything comes out on negotiations with him and whatnot, no matter which team ends up signing him, Matt Holliday is NOT a $100 Million player. Don't get me wrong, he's very good, and would be a huge upgrade for most teams in left field. To me though, giving him in excess of $100 million will only hamstring your franchise further down the road...but someone will be suckered into fake hype by Scott Boras and give him some ridiculous contract. I just hope the Mets aren't those suckers, because there are WAY too many holes to fill and they've all but said payroll needs to be cut because of Bernie Madoff, even though they deny that it has an effect on them.

...well, that and the fact that starting this year, they'll be paying Bobby Bonilla $1 Million a year for the next 20 years for agreeing to defer some of his salary back in 1999. What foresight!

It's a bit more than $1 million per year:

When the New York Mets placed Bonilla on unconditional waivers in 2000, they agreed to pay out the remainder of his contract by deferring the remaining $5.9 million. Instead of paying him upfront for that money they came to an agreement where the Mets would pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035.

That can't be right. They deferred $5.9 M in order to pay him > $29 M? Do they think they're going to earn that much on that $5.9 M to make the deal work out for them? Don't have time to do the math, but it seems like they'd need a heck of a ROI there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, before anything comes out on negotiations with him and whatnot, no matter which team ends up signing him, Matt Holliday is NOT a $100 Million player. Don't get me wrong, he's very good, and would be a huge upgrade for most teams in left field. To me though, giving him in excess of $100 million will only hamstring your franchise further down the road...but someone will be suckered into fake hype by Scott Boras and give him some ridiculous contract. I just hope the Mets aren't those suckers, because there are WAY too many holes to fill and they've all but said payroll needs to be cut because of Bernie Madoff, even though they deny that it has an effect on them.

...well, that and the fact that starting this year, they'll be paying Bobby Bonilla $1 Million a year for the next 20 years for agreeing to defer some of his salary back in 1999. What foresight!

When the New York Mets placed Bonilla on unconditional waivers in 2000, they agreed to pay out the remainder of his contract by deferring the remaining $5.9 million. Instead of paying him upfront for that money they came to an agreement where the Mets would pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035.

Oh I thought it was just $1,000,000 kicking in this year for the next 20. That's even worse. I wish I could get a gig like that...

On a Met-related note, Carlos Delgado and Brian Schneider are now free agents. Good riddance.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Jeff Francoeur get non-tendered, but who knows. I was adamantly against giving up Ryan Church for him but I have to admit he ended up being well beyond what I expected him to bring to the table, and he didn't stop playing with a torn ligament in his thumb when 19 other Mets hit the DL. I literally thought you couldn't be worse as an everyday player as he had the lowest VORP in 2008--literally negative, but I have to give him his props.

I WOULD however suspect that the amount of players non-tendered this season to be exceptionally high...so a bunch of interesting options may present themselves to some teams...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That can't be right. They deferred $5.9 M in order to pay him > $29 M? Do they think they're going to earn that much on that $5.9 M to make the deal work out for them? Don't have time to do the math, but it seems like they'd need a heck of a ROI there.

Apparently they are that dumb. Found another article:

The best the Mets could do was get him to defer his pay--with interest--for 11 years. Under terms of the agreement, Bonilla will be paid nearly $1.2 million every year from 2011 to 2035. The total will come to approximately $29.8 million, or about $835,000 more than the club gave Bonilla in December 1991 when they made him the game's richest player.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/2C99D0AD1EB47F0186257666000E26D1?OpenDocument

While that article mentions that the Cardinals have some player, Albert something, who is never in a million years going to sniff free agency. He is due "only" $16 Million this season, but lord only knows what he'll have coming to him beyond that. That's why Holliday staying in St. Louis isn't that sure of a thing...especially with the Yankees, Mets, Cubs (?), and Red Sox (if they don't keep Bay) lurking.

Both of them? Probably not going to happen I'd imagine.

For any Blue Jay fans out there or any that has been following them, does anyone know or have an idea of when the Jays will announce their plain, or give the fans an idea of where they are heading and announce the payroll for next season. The GM, said he would try to announce the plain by Nov 9th. Maybe I'm just getting anticipated on how much they will give out to spend. Either way as a fan, you would like to know at least before the deadline.

4kv29i.jpg

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/11/06/news-diamondbacks-pick-up-webbs-option/

Steve Gilbert, the Diamondbacks beat reporter for MLB.com, is reporting on Twitter, says that the Diamondbacks have exercised the $8.5 million option for Brandon Webb for 2010.

Just remember...a healthy Webb and Haren is scary in and of itself as a 1-2 punch.

The ChiSox bought out Jermaine Dye, making him a free agent. ($950 K vs. $12 Million...a no-brainer for Chicago).

Milwaukee sends JJ Hardy to Minnesota for Carlos Gomez.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/11/06/news-diamondbacks-pick-up-webbs-option/

Steve Gilbert, the Diamondbacks beat reporter for MLB.com, is reporting on Twitter, says that the Diamondbacks have exercised the $8.5 million option for Brandon Webb for 2010.

Just remember...a healthy Webb and Haren is scary in and of itself as a 1-2 punch.

The ChiSox bought out Jermaine Dye, making him a free agent. ($950 K vs. $12 Million...a no-brainer for Chicago).

Milwaukee sends JJ Hardy to Minnesota for Carlos Gomez.

That's a very interesting trade for both teams.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

And Minny gets their SS to replace Cabrera. I think the change of scenery will certainly benefit Gomez, and after the Brewers (mis)handled Hardy, I think he needed a fresh start as well.

Neither have lived up to their "hype" but both are young enough to turn it around.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Thats what I call a pension fund, I guess Fred Coupon was not expecting 2011 to get here. To qoute Homer Simpson, "You said tears ago I had to pay in the future, but it's not the future its the present"

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Getting Gomez likely means the end of Mike Cameron's days as a Brewer.

The Indians hired Tim Belcher as their new pitching coach.

The Phillies told Brett Myers he won't be offered a new contract, so he's outta here...

Getting Gomez likely means the end of Mike Cameron's days as a Brewer.

The Indians hired Tim Belcher as their new pitching coach.

The Phillies told Brett Myers he won't be offered a new contract, so he's outta here...

I sure hope someone warned his wife...

Red Sox Nation will blame someone, but who?

Papelbon to Cubs, Braves, or Tigers?

Papelbon leaving Boston would be fantastic news. I've never been a fan of his. His "intensity" was just for cameras and his showboating was just sickening. Daniel Bard is a gem and I think might be ready to step into that closer role.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Seriously, Red Sox Nation? Y'all wanna dump Papelbon? A proven closer who is a workhorse for a kid you think might be ready to step into the role? For real?

Screw having the best players, let's just have 25 guys the fans think they like! Right?

Seriously, Red Sox Nation? Y'all wanna dump Papelbon? A proven closer who is a workhorse for a kid you think might be ready to step into the role? For real?

Screw having the best players, let's just have 25 guys the fans think they like! Right?

If they think Bard is capable of stepping up, I'd say its a good move. Closers are pretty overrated and easily replaced IMO. If I had a replacement I'd trade Papelbon in a second. His reputation should bring back alot in a trade.

Archived