Baseball Hot Stove

njmeadowlanders

I find it shocking the Red Sox Nation want Pablepon to go. Closers like that dont come around all the time, and replacing him won't be as easy as you think.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, Red Sox Nation? Y'all wanna dump Papelbon? A proven closer who is a workhorse for a kid you think might be ready to step into the role? For real?

Screw having the best players, let's just have 25 guys the fans think they like! Right?

If they think Bard is capable of stepping up, I'd say its a good move. Closers are pretty overrated and easily replaced IMO. If I had a replacement I'd trade Papelbon in a second. His reputation should bring back alot in a trade.

I felt the same way up until I saw how Brad Lidge's suckiness hurt the Phillies this year. Not only that, with all the very strong relievers they had, anyone they tried seemed to melt down when put in the closer role. I am now of the opinion that there's just something "different" about pitching the 9th vs. the other innings.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phillies have DECLINED their option on 3B Pedro Feliz.

Rumored replacements include Adrian Beltre, Chone Figgins, Mark DeRosa.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's almost set in stone that Roy Halladay will probably be moved but he does have one year left on his deal so I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he is moved at next year's trading deadline.

Read a report that the Phillies have at least thought about the idea of using Cole Hamels to land Halladay for this season. Cole is as soft of an athlete as I think I've ever seen (right up there with Bobby Abreu), but he's also a WS MVP, and the kind of guy that could flourish in a less "intense" environment. If I'm Toronto, I probably do what I can to make this happen.

The Phillies would then have to decide which pitcher (Lee or Halladay) to give the ridiculous money to after the season. They probably could do both, but then they'd be approaching Mets / Yankees payroll.

They've already approached Mets payroll:

2009 MLB payrolls

Yankees $220,142,951

Mets 141,905,336

Cubs 141,427,914

Red Sox 140,406,585

Tigers 139,204,408

Phillies 138,061,499

And apparently, the thought of them looking to acquire Halladay may have been T least a little more than just a rumor:

My link

And apparently, the thought of them looking to acquire Halladay may have been T least a little more than just a rumor:

My link

I think they will get Halladay. Now they got Lee, the Doc is just the missing peace for a perfect contender.

Will they give in and send the Jays what they want ? Who knows, but it seems more, and more that they want him and wont stop until they get that perfect core.

On the Jays hand, I think they have no choice but to get Halladay up. Hes already stated he will test the free agency, and no point trading him at the deadline for only a rental player. Might as well started the re-build mode, but giving up your biggest trade value for young future prospects. This is the perfect time to get a deal done and I think he will be a Phillie at some point before next season.

4kv29i.jpg

Twins rumblings:

Carl Pavano will most likely test the free agent market rather than immediatley re-sign with the Twins.

Ron Gardenhire says he wants Orlando Cabrera to play second base next year, hoping he stays.

The Twins are trying to bring in two veteran starters for next season. Possible pitchers include Carl Pavano (re-sign), Jarrod Washburn, John Lackey, Roy Hallady, and Josh Johnson. Washburn has said he would like to play near his home in Wisconsin.

Can they afford Halladay? Not sure what he's making this season, but I can't imagine the Twins being able to secure him long term, so would it make sense for them to give up all it would take just to have him for a year? Do they think that they're that close?

Can they afford Halladay? Not sure what he's making this season, but I can't imagine the Twins being able to secure him long term, so would it make sense for them to give up all it would take just to have him for a year? Do they think that they're that close?

Halladay's making a lot less than he should be making, he took a paycut in order to help the Jays land some free agents when he signed his last contract extension (yes, he's that kinda player)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Bobby Valentine? Really? What is Tommy Lasorda not available? What haven't they tried to get in contact with Earl Weaver or try and dig up Billy Martin? Valentine? Really? There has to be some fresh blood out there somewhere that will give you more than Valentine or Riggleman. And heck, new blood comes cheaper too! Riggleman, is well Riggleman. Valentine, you're overpaying for a loud obnoxious horse's behind. Hell, if you want that, you could probably hire Tony Bernazard for really cheap.

Halladay's making a lot less than he should be making, he took a paycut in order to help the Jays land some free agents when he signed his last contract extension (yes, he's that kinda player)

Oh, I know he's underpaid right now. I meant that for a team like the Twins, who rely on young (cheap) players, you don't give up the kind of talented-young players that it would take to get Halladay without the intent of resigning him. I can't believe that (no matter how noble he may be) he's not going to want to get paid, considering it's probably his last big contract. I get that they're going to have some new revenue generated by Target Field, but it's not like they're going to turn in to one of the "haves" overnight.

Bobby Valentine? Really? What is Tommy Lasorda not available? What haven't they tried to get in contact with Earl Weaver or try and dig up Billy Martin? Valentine? Really? There has to be some fresh blood out there somewhere that will give you more than Valentine or Riggleman. And heck, new blood comes cheaper too! Riggleman, is well Riggleman. Valentine, you're overpaying for a loud obnoxious horse's behind. Hell, if you want that, you could probably hire Tony Bernazard for really cheap.

For what it's worth, the Nationals played pretty well under Riggleman in 2009. A team that could have easily quit in August and September played their asses off when they had nothing to gain in the standings.

Seriously, Red Sox Nation? Y'all wanna dump Papelbon? A proven closer who is a workhorse for a kid you think might be ready to step into the role? For real?

Screw having the best players, let's just have 25 guys the fans think they like! Right?

Why not? The reason Bard was brought up was to groom him to be the next closer when Papelbon leaves when his contract is up. Why not trade Papelbon now and get something, rather than letting him walk? His return might never be higher than right now. The man doesn't even want to be in Boston, so why not grant him his wish?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

If they think Bard is capable of stepping up, I'd say its a good move. Closers are pretty overrated and easily replaced IMO. If I had a replacement I'd trade Papelbon in a second. His reputation should bring back alot in a trade.

I felt the same way up until I saw how Brad Lidge's suckiness hurt the Phillies this year. Not only that, with all the very strong relievers they had, anyone they tried seemed to melt down when put in the closer role. I am now of the opinion that there's just something "different" about pitching the 9th vs. the other innings.

There is something different pitching the final inning with no room for error.

6fQjS3M.png

Well the Mets have been rumored to have tried to send Castillo to the Cubs who send Bradley to Toronto and the Mets would get Overbay. Of course Toronto wanted no part in Milton Bradley, so then it came out the Mets were shot down by the D-Backs trying to get Chris Snyder.

But the fact that they're at least trying to dump him while his stock is as high as it's ever going to get (which isn't that high) at this point in his career is at least a step in the right direction.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

My link

I think they will get Halladay. Now they got Lee, the Doc is just the missing peace for a perfect contender.

Will they give in and send the Jays what they want ? Who knows, but it seems more, and more that they want him and wont stop until they get that perfect core.

On the Jays hand, I think they have no choice but to get Halladay up. Hes already stated he will test the free agency, and no point trading him at the deadline for only a rental player. Might as well started the re-build mode, but giving up your biggest trade value for young future prospects. This is the perfect time to get a deal done and I think he will be a Phillie at some point before next season.

Well the GM seems to be denying interest in Halladay, and says that the idea of trading Hamles is "ridiculous". Also, the beat writers are confirming that the front office is not actively pursuing the Jays' star pitcher. That doesn't mean they wouldn't listen if the Jays made them an offer, but it doesn't look like the Phils are going to be the ones initiating it.

All the talk now is about Figgins, and how Jimmy Rollins would react to losing his leadoff spot (if they decide to do that.) I think Rollins is a horrible leadoff hitter, and would do much better if he was lower in the order, but if he's going to sulk and start to suck because of it, then maybe it's not worth it.

Archived