Strange But True Sports Facts

leopard88

The National League is actually classified as Quadruple-A.

Bill Simmons does not know everything. And the NL Champion has won 2 of the last 4 World Series. :rolleyes:

But, the National League as a whole has lost 81 of the last 80 All-Star Games.

LosAngelesLakers.pngLosAngelesDodgers.pngSanDiegoChargers.png

thanks to crkraider22

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the 1943 NFL season, the Philadelphia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers merged operations and rosters due to loss of players to military service in World War II. The team was officially referred to as Phil-Pitt and was nicknamed the "Steagles" by fans. They played 4 home games in Philly and 2 in Pittsburgh and finished the season 5-4-1.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

In three career plate appearances, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has a .000 BA, .333 OBP, 1 BB, and 1 RBI.

Mo earned the walk and RBI from the Mets' Francisco Rodriguez in the same game that he snagged his 500th save.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

In three career plate appearances, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has a .000 BA, .333 OBP, 1 BB, and 1 RBI.

Mo earned the walk and RBI from the Mets' Francisco Rodriguez in the same game that he snagged his 500th save.

Wow.

And from the looks of things...all that happened in New York. That certainly is strange.

(I highlight the strange aspect because I know that the inevitable degeneration of this thread from "strange but true" facts to "post any facts you can think of" is imminent. Degeneration happens with every thread of this nature. And it usually happens by about the third page. Guess what...we're on the third page of this thread now.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The National League is actually classified as Quadruple-A.

Bill Simmons does not know everything. And the NL Champion has won 2 of the last 4 World Series. :rolleyes:

But, the National League as a whole has lost 81 of the last 80 All-Star Games.

The All Star Game is an exhibition. The National League has a 40-38-2 record in that exhibition.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The New York Giants and the New York Jets play in New Jersey.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

There are eleven schools in the Big Ten.

There are 14 member institutions of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

In 1910, football teams were penalized 15 yards for an incompleted forward pass.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Wow.

And from the looks of things...all that happened in New York. That certainly is strange.

(I highlight the strange aspect because I know that the inevitable degeneration of this thread from "strange but true" facts to "post any facts you can think of" is imminent. Degeneration happens with every thread of this nature. And it usually happens by about the third page. Guess what...we're on the third page of this thread now.)

Not only that, but I think that the intent wasn't for obscure facts - but for "he / they did what?" kind of facts (like the original post about Derek Anderson, the comment about Bobby Abreu, etc.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetleter, and Mark Rypien, are Super Bowl winning quarterbacks.

Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Jim Kelly, all hall of famers, are not.

I dunno no y u r so suprised!!32 Dillfer Hostetla n Rippin r betta then Marino Fouts n Kelly. Duh! Supaboll ringz = better!13245

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Neither of Baltimore's current major pro sports teams originated in Baltimore. That isn't the strange part...this is:

We all know the Ravens are a relocated franchise that used to be the known as the Browns. Lesser known is that the Baltimore Orioles are also a relocated franchise that also used to be known as...wait for it...the Browns.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetleter, and Mark Rypien, are Super Bowl winning quarterbacks.

I dunno no y u r so suprised!!32 Dillfer Hostetla n Rippin r betta then Marino Fouts n Kelly. Duh! Supaboll ringz = better!13245

well of course, they got 'r done when it mattered :P

can we add Doug Williams in there? Jim Plunkett won it twice and is not in hall of fame.

I saw, I came, I left.

well of course, they got 'r done when it mattered :P

can we add Doug Williams in there? Jim Plunkett won it twice and is not in hall of fame.

Yeah but those two weren't quite the one-hit wonders that Dilfer and Hostetler were.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived