Strange But True Sports Facts

leopard88

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither of Baltimore's current major pro sports teams originated in Baltimore. That isn't the strange part...this is:

We all know the Ravens are a relocated franchise that used to be the known as the Browns. Lesser known is that the Baltimore Orioles are also a relocated franchise that also used to be known as...wait for it...the Browns.

Also, if it wasn't for the outbreak of World War II, the St. Louis Browns would have been in LA, beating the Dodgers and Giants by more than 15 years.

VmWIn6B.png

There are two possible ways for an NCAA football game to end with a score of 1-0.

I'm guessing a forfeit is one way. What is the other?

Unless there's some old-ass rule I've never heard of, I think the Mascot means there's two ways where a team's final score in a game can be 1.

Obviously, a forfeit is one way.

The other has to do with the PAT try. If a kick is blocked, and the defensive team (the team that blocked the kick) retrieves the ball and runs toward their offensive end zone....only to fumble it, and the kicking team recovers the ball and voluntarily runs into their defensive end zone and gets downed....the defensive team gets a point. But this can only be done after a touchdown, so the score would be 6-1 instead of 6-2.

This conversion safety (the 1-point kind, not the usual 2-point safety) happened in a Texas A&M game a few years ago, and I remember this quirky rule getting explained after the kicking team got the PAT through a safety instead of a kick. The guy on the blocking team recovered the ball, then ran into his own end zone and got tackled, and thus gave the kicking team the PAT.

In the NFL, the ball is blown dead once a PAT attempt is blocked. In college football, teams can recover and advance the ball...and obviously score...on blocked PAT's.

Neither of Baltimore's current major pro sports teams originated in Baltimore. That isn't the strange part...this is:

We all know the Ravens are a relocated franchise that used to be the known as the Browns. Lesser known is that the Baltimore Orioles are also a relocated franchise that also used to be known as...wait for it...the Browns.

Baltimore: Where the Browns go to die... :evil:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The Monaco Marathon is the only marathon in the world that spans three countries, Monaco, France, and Italy.

Also, Monaco's Stade Louis II has a capacity of 18,500 or roughly 60% of the country's population.

I saw, I came, I left.

Not only that, but I think that the intent wasn't for obscure facts - but for "he / they did what?" kind of facts (like the original post about Derek Anderson, the comment about Bobby Abreu, etc.)

You are correct, sir. Thank you.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not only that, but I think that the intent wasn't for obscure facts - but for "he / they did what?" kind of facts (like the original post about Derek Anderson, the comment about Bobby Abreu, etc.)

You are correct, sir. Thank you.

At some point in time, someone did something. Strange, but true!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

At some point in time, someone did something. Strange, but true!

I thought I was the only one who found that surprising.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Yankees have lost the World Series more times than anyone else has won it.

Yep, 13 WS losses, and the Cardinals have the 2nd most WS wins with 10

Yeah, no 'ship those 13 times, but at least they made the 'offs!

Last year Elvis Andrus of the Texas Rangers was the first MLB player named Elvis to hit a home run

When it happened, did the announcer say "Elvis has left the building"? :hockeysmiley:

Only about a thousand times.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The 1932 NFL championship was played in Chicago Stadium between the Chicago Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans.

There's a lot of oddities about this game.

- The most obvious being that Chicago stadium was an indoor arena so special rules had to be used. It was too cold and snowy to play at Wrigley Field.

- It was the first playoff game in NFL history.

- before that season the team with the best regular season record was given the championship

- the Bears and the Spartans both finished at 6-1 (ties eliminated), with two ties against one another.

- The Green Bay Packers finished 10-3 (ties eliminated). Their winning percentage eliminated them from the championship.

- The Bears won the game 9-0 (a TD, extra point, and a safety)

- Bronco Nagurski threw a touchdown pass to Red Grange.

Strange but true.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived