Is It Time to Retire the Football Helmet?

bterreson

It doesn't matter if "they know what they're getting in to" or not. A civilized society doesn't sit around and watch people beat each other half to death or knock each other's heads (literally) around. It's a sad commentary on our culture if we're endorsing people flying head first into other people's heads. And those players may know what they're getting themselve's into, but do their young kids who are going to have an idiot brain-damaged dad have a say in the matter? My guess is not.

Given that we are only now just beginning to understand CTE, I don't see how any of the current players can know what they've gotten themselves into.

Agreed, they may not really understand how high the risk is, and the extent of it, but they do know that they risk being "slow". I don't really know anything about CTE (other than they say Andre Waters had it and it contributed to his suicide) but once these players are educated, I can't imagine any of them (possible exception of James Harrison) not understanding why blows to the head and leading with helmet should be banned.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived