Best Looking Pro Sports trophy

GMac

So I was reading an article on the Grey Cup today, the trophy given to the CFL champion, it appears that after the 100th Grey Cup game in 2012 they will be out of space on the trophy and they are trying to come up with solutions on what to do. Unlike the stanley cup they cant just take rings off so they are talking about "retiring" the base and making another on similar to it as they dont want to lose the iconic look it has. Which I agree with, as its an amazing looking trophy. Then I started thinking what are the best looking pro sports trophies out there. My list goes like this.

1a. Grey Cup

Grey-Cup-image.jpg

1b. Stanley Cup

stanley_cup.jpg

distant 2. Commissioner's Trophy

world_series_trophy_2.jpg

3. Lombardi Trophy

lombardi_trophy2.jpg

4. MLS Cup

340x.jpg

5. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy

NBA%20trophy.jpg

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Stanley Cup is still my favorite.

The current Commissioner's Trophy awarded in MLB is far uglier to my eyes than the older one in the original post.

commissioners-trophy.jpg

Another great award is the Indy 500's Borg Warner Trophy.

borgtrophy-300-05042006.jpg

One more I am not particularly fond of is the FIFA World Cup, if international soccer fits the definition of a pro sport in this case.

trophy.jpg

The NBA trophy is just tacky.

I'd put the Stanley Cup #1, with the Lombardi a close second. The cup is just so iconic, but the Lombardi is cool because it looks really classy, and it's cool to see players be able to hold it up with one hand, as opposed to the cup. I like the cup celebrations too (a captain raising it right after the end of the SCF is one of the most iconic moments in sports) but I also like a trophy that can just be held like a baby.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The coolest and most iconic trophy is the Stanley Cup. I think when you win something as big as your league championship you should have to hold the cup up with two hands and not just one.

That being said, I think the best looking trophy is the MLS one, the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I've always been fond of the various NSWRL/ARL/NRL premiership trophies here in Australia which are a 3D recreation of a famous photo taken after the 1963 Grand Final. Pictured below is the current version which is a bit over the top with the modern sculptural elements added to mimic the NRL logo. The original tobacco-sponsored version just had Provan and Summons.

2007-9-2-72079674.jpg

If by best looking, you also mean best drinking trophy, then few can top this one! :D

Bledisloe%20Cup.jpg

liverpool-1.png

Stanley Cup is definitely the best...clean look, no need for unnecessary ball identifiers (also why I like the World Series one).

Lombardi Trophy is easily recognizable too...NBA one needs to change though! (always looked too plain to me)

However, if you really want a beauty, check out the old trophy used by the ArenaBowl (the AF1 REALLY needs to buy it and restore it!)

Foster_Trophy.gif

bYhYmxh.png

The Cup---

And everyone knows EXACTLY WHICH ONE I'm talking about.

Nothing comes close to it's looks, it's history, and it's Iconic Image in the World Wide Landscape.

No one knows what the Lombardi is in Sweeden, or what the comissioners trophy looks like in DR.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

This is probably a really stupid question, but does each flag on the MLB trophy have the name of a team, city or nickname? Or are they just blank to represent the teams?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Being from the Springs, I have to throw some support towards the Commander in Chief's trophy. Three sides and footballs for the three academies, and each side has the name, the mascot, and the academy's emblem. It's very classy, and a great prize for the academies. And though it breaks my heart, here is a picture of it with the Navy side showing:

CIC-Trophy-382x459.jpg

As for the pro sports, I've always been partial to the Lombardi and the Cup. I feel as though the Commissioner's trophy isn't really a trophy so much as a sculpture/piece of art, which is kind of a bad thing in this case - it's supposed to be representative of the sport, and while the pennant is, the gigantic flag poles that look as though they can break with the slightest breeze and the odd 1/8 of a baseball in the base doesn't really cut it for me.

I really like the National League trophy, though; the American League one is alright, though I love symbolism and I love the 16 pillars on the Warren C. Giles trophy to represent the 16 teams. Plus it looks heavy, old, and awesome.

And the NBA trophy is just bad.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

The Stanley Cup is far and away the best. The Commissioner's Trophy doesn't feel right to me, like it's too small for the accompanying honor. Maybe baseball's world championship transcends tangible awards.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived