carolina panthers

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The eyes do need some work but not too much. I think it is a nice upgrade to the logo. Going the route of the Arizona Cardinals is not a bad idea for the Panthers because they have a nice looking logo anyway. I see you went with a different blue too which I also think is an improvement.

I don't know if your logo is really better than the original. It's not bad by any means, but it's also such a minor update that it could essentially work as just an alternate of what they currently have. One thing I've always thought is that the head should be "closed," as opposed to sort of merging into the rest of the body as it is now. There is no neck with the current logo. Also, I've always thought the way the lower jaw just kind of hangs there is awkward. There's no definition between the upper and lower jaw. Maybe a tongue, or a darker spot to indicate a mouth, something.

Here's the problem -

With the full-open eyes, your panther looks like he's just casually opening his mouth, possibly to give oral pleasure to one of his panther buddies. Not sure I'd like to be on the receiving end of that one, as I'm sure there's no avoiding the teeth scraping, but I guess male panthers are used to it.

With the squinty eyes, it really looks ferocious, like it's growling. It makes it look like the mouth is open as wide as it can be, and it's putting so much power behind it's "scream", that it can't keep its eyes open.

The current logo could certainly be improved, and possibly a redesign of the squinty eyes could help, but I don't think that your redesign makes it any better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've got to agree with Vet on this one. The open eyes just don't fit with the rest of the elements or, especially, their position on the head. I also think your whiskers are a big downgrade. They're too short and fat.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Like others, the eyes are a major problem for me. Instead of looking fierce, those eyes to me make it look like he's calling for his buddy across the stadium, "Hey Brutis...over here!"

The color looks like it was taken from a Lapis Blue Dodge/Plymouth Neon.

lapisblue.jpg

87Redskins.png

looks like its yawning. its a bizzare logo in the first place. i reckon if you were going to change it, at least fix the major things that are wrong with it.

for starters, its like a weird kids drawing of a cat. the head is sort of a line drawing coloured in. i would use the black as a solid backdrop and pick out the features with the blue.

here is a very quick sketch of what i mean. im sure if you had more time to spend, you could make it look much sharper.

panthers.png

looks like its yawning. its a bizzare logo in the first place. i reckon if you were going to change it, at least fix the major things that are wrong with it.

for starters, its like a weird kids drawing of a cat. the head is sort of a line drawing coloured in. i would use the black as a solid backdrop and pick out the features with the blue.

here is a very quick sketch of what i mean. im sure if you had more time to spend, you could make it look much sharper.

panthers.png

On yours, I'd make the tongue silver so that it doesn't look too much like the Jaguars, and maybe some blue highlights on the neck.

I must agree with davidson. Always hated that logo, since the day it came out. Absolutely terrible. Besides the obvious aesthetic points mentioned by davidson, the arbitrary outer shape that may or may not be trying to look like the combined outlines of North and South Carolina is the worst part about it. Too much of a stretch to try and add meaning to the (already terrible) logo, and completely awkward looking to boot.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i like what you have going Davidson. i was thinking about going that route as well, something a bit more like the Bengals secondary logo. its funny you're the only one that mentioned the eyes make it look like its yawning, which was my thoughts as well. i thought more would agree about that.

Andrew i know what you mean about the state shapes which is something i actually like about it.

i think for now im going to focus on the eyes, and then try to go a little more in the direction Davidson has suggested but thanks to all for the feedback.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Davidson, while I really like your logo, I don't like it at all for the Panthers. Besides its fantastic simplicity, where the Panthers' current logo really succeeds for me is in the way it conveys sleekness. Panthers, to me, always look sleek, shiny, and smooth, with no hairy tufts sticking out or rough patches or jagged edges. Case in point, this fella:

anonymous-black-panther-4800292.jpg

Also, the highlights on your logo make it look like the cat would be blue, not black. I think, if recolored, it would be a great logo for a team nicknamed "Wildcats" or something similar. But I don't think it's as good a representation of a panther.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Awesome looking update Davidson, the only part I dont like is the slash marks in the neck portion of the logo, I'd prefer something closer to the initial sketch you posted, with slashes similar to the original logo...

Amazing work however! I can't believe you just cranked that out, I hope one day I can reach your talent level...

Archived