carolina panthers

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davidson did you use Illustrator or Photoshop (or a program similar to those) to make that sketch? i have to draw on paper, scan it, then trace it in Ai with a mouse but it seems you're just taking a Wacom tablet and working everything on your computer. is that right?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Davidson did you use Illustrator or Photoshop (or a program similar to those) to make that sketch? i have to draw on paper, scan it, then trace it in Ai with a mouse but it seems you're just taking a Wacom tablet and working everything on your computer. is that right?

ai and mouse mate. but i cheat. ill show you how when i get to work. im a big resiser of the tablet. most of the guys at work use them, but i hate them, i find them very slow. basically what you want to do is rough out the lines of the face first, it really makes it much easier to illustrate afterwards.

here are some examples, this is very small, but i think you can see what i mean:

cardsprogression.jpg

prestige.png

wow. that is really good for just throwing something together quickly, davidson. it doesnt bother me that the highlight and shadows make the panther appear blue rather than black which panthers are. i always disliked the flatness to the panthers real logo. I just dont get why real teams just dont put a little more effort into their look from the get-go when in comparison you can just throw something together with little effort like this, why cant real teams, even if this real logo was designed back in the standards of '95.

right, sorry brandn, dont mean to have completely robbed your thread, but your idea inspired me and peoples comments have given me an itch to complete this stuff.

i actually agree with whoever made the pont about the silver on the face highlights being overkill. so ive removed it and changed the shape of the base of the head.

i really dislike the panthers neck in the original, and i checked a map. it looks nothing like the carolinas, so i changed it.

so here are the final posts of the logo and helmet

panthers.png

PANTHERS%20HELMET.png

ai and mouse mate. but i cheat. ill show you how when i get to work. im a big resiser of the tablet. most of the guys at work use them, but i hate them, i find them very slow. basically what you want to do is rough out the lines of the face first, it really makes it much easier to illustrate afterwards.

here are some examples, this is very small, but i think you can see what i mean:

cardsprogression.jpg

prestige.png

thanks Davidson. im better on paper than on the computer but im going to try this technique out. dont worry about the thread robbery, im just glad to be part of the inspiration. :) great job on the word mark too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

cardsprogression.jpg

prestige.png

thanks Davidson. im better on paper than on the computer but im going to try this technique out. dont worry about the thread robbery, im just glad to be part of the inspiration. :) great job on the word mark too

its basically the same as sketching really. a few basic lines, then add in some detail, block it out, view, repeat until satisfactory.

cardsprogression.jpg

prestige.png

its basically the same as sketching really. a few basic lines, then add in some detail, block it out, view, repeat until satisfactory.

I know you said you use Illustrator and a mouse but which tools do you use for the sketches? I mean the curves look really fluid, the reason I ask is that while I love Illustrator, now, (used to hate it was more of a Freehand user til this year) I find even when using the pen tool initial sketches just dont have the same flow that I can get with a pencil and a sheet of layout paper, but yours seem to really flow and was curious as to what specific tools you use. I'm more than happy working over a pencil sketch to produce the finished item but roughs in Illustrator tend to take me much longer and the end result tends to look somewhat constricted compared to ones started on paper.

I've borrowed a tablet from an illustrator friend of mine, she's upgraded to a better model, and I'm trying to get to grips with that and I think in time I'll find it quicker and more natural than using a mouse but any tips you could give that could improve my on screen sketching would be much appreciated.

NIce upgrade to the Panthers logo, really like it, I think the wordmark is a little too reminiscent of the Jags one to be as successful as the Panther head, but the Panther itself is a really big improvement.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

cardsprogression.jpg

prestige.png

I know you said you use Illustrator and a mouse but which tools do you use for the sketches? I mean the curves look really fluid, the reason I ask is that while I love Illustrator, now, (used to hate it was more of a Freehand user til this year) I find even when using the pen tool initial sketches just dont have the same flow that I can get with a pencil and a sheet of layout paper, but yours seem to really flow and was curious as to what specific tools you use. I'm more than happy working over a pencil sketch to produce the finished item but roughs in Illustrator tend to take me much longer and the end result tends to look somewhat constricted compared to ones started on paper.

I've borrowed a tablet from an illustrator friend of mine, she's upgraded to a better model, and I'm trying to get to grips with that and I think in time I'll find it quicker and more natural than using a mouse but any tips you could give that could improve my on screen sketching would be much appreciated.

NIce upgrade to the Panthers logo, really like it, I think the wordmark is a little too reminiscent of the Jags one to be as successful as the Panther head, but the Panther itself is a really big improvement.

9erssteve

its just line tool. a really important thing to remember about the line tool is that you should try to use as few points as possible. make the curves do all the work. bloody hell that sounded wanky.

sketch.png

s28fmo.png

i think this is about as good as i can get it. im happy with a cardinals like update. i put a blue face mask on the helmet just to seperate it a bit from the Lions current look. and used one stripe down the center instead of two. going to work on the word mark now

GRAPHIC ARTIST

s28fmo.png

i think this is about as good as i can get it. im happy with a cardinals like update. i put a blue face mask on the helmet just to seperate it a bit from the Lions current look. and used one stripe down the center instead of two. going to work on the word mark now

think this is pretty decent mate.

the nose and the centre of the mouth should be further to the right (top drawing).

at the momnet the head is 3/4 and the nose is facing us.

i like the tongue.

could you take a crack at one without the outer most black outline?

s28fmo.png

The cat seems a little more surprised than angry, IMO. Everything else looks really good though.

Fraser, your "rough sketches" piss me off!

a few adjustments here and at the request of davidson, i dropped the black outline

2wdaujc.png

The blue upper lip seems kind of odd to me, since it isn't really a highlight, but rather a randomly different colored part of the body. Try working with that some more, I think you were more on track with the previous update than this latest one. Another thing, and a piece of advice I got on a Lions concept I did years ago, is the eyebrows. I think part of the reason he looks surprised is that those look like actual eyebrows, as opposed to a highlight above the brow. Panthers don't have actual eyebrows, so you need to try to define that shape without it looking like he has blue eyebrows. Good work, though, and I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

And Davidson, you HAVE to do some uniforms to go with your logo/helmet. Great work.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Davidson, that's pretty genius. I'd love to see some uniforms.

BrandN, you've shown some amazing progression, the last one is the best yet, and I like the outer black outline MUCH more than the one that lacks it. I still think the tongue needs a little work, but the rendering is solid, and it looks fierce. It's a huge improvement over what they have now. brings a 90s logo into the present day. Great work. I would also like to see some unis from you.

Archived