NFL flex scheduling / uni choices

dirwuf

When a game gets flexed in or out of prime time, can the home team alter their pre-determined uniform choice?

A perfect example is this weekend where the Dolphins were supposed to host the Pats on Sunday night...surely the Dolphins would have worn their aqua or alternate orange jerseys. Now that the game has been moved to 1pm, can the Dolphins now choose to wear their white jerseys (which they've worn for every home day game for 15 years)?

I would say no. I'm not entirely sure though. I do know that there's a limited amount of times a season a team can wear their alternates.

Well the Dolphins have only worn the alts once this year, but that's not the point...I'm asking whether they can now change their choice.

If ever there was a situation ripe for a repeat of the scenario where the Vikings came out in the wrong uniforms, this is it...

Seriously though, here's a little trivia question. When was the last time the Dolphins wore aqua jerseys for a home day game? And I'm not counting the game against the Giants in London for all you smart asses.

and so it happened...

FOXBORO - When NBC dropped the Patriots-Dolphins game from its Sunday Night Football lineup and handed it back to CBS as an afternoon tilt, it also made Donnie Brocher's life a little more hectic.

Brocher, the Patriots' long-time equipment manager, had to pack an entirely different set of uniforms for the trip to LandShark Stadium this weekend.

This is the last of the "throwback" games, part of the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the American Football League. All season long, the eight original AFL franchises have chosen games in which to wear replica uniforms representative of an important period in the franchise's AFL history.

The Patriots chose to replicate their 1963 uniforms, symbolic of their participation in that year's AFL championship game against San Diego. It would take another 22 years for the Patriots to make another championship game (Super Bowl XX) and another 16 after that for them to win one (Super Bowl XXXVI).

Although Miami was not an original AFL franchise, entering the league in 1966, the Patriots chose this Sunday's trip there as the last appearance of the throwbacks and the Pat Patriot-adorned helmets. They were originally to wear the white uniforms (previously worn in Denver) when the game was scheduled at night. Now that the game is a 1 p.m. start, the Dolphins have chosen to wear their sunlight-reflecting white jerseys at home. So, Brocher and his staff have rescued the red shirts (worn against Buffalo and Tennessee) and will have them in the cargo hold of the charter for the flight to Miami.

The Patriots are 2-0 in the red throwbacks, and 0-1 in the whites.

"I think it's fun to wear something different," tight end Benjamin Watson said. "It's always fun to put on a different costume and go out and play."

Archived