EPL numbers and fonts versus UEFA CL fonts

CreamSoda

After watching the Champions League, I noticed that Arsenal has different fonts for both their EPL kit and their UEFA CL kit.

Is that mandatory for all teams? Or does it just depend on each club?

Thanks.

There is a specific number and letter font used in the EPL, that all teams use. I can't quite remember if the Champions League use a universal font? But with seperate champions league patches on the jerseys, if not I guess its an opportunity for manufacturers to put there own number and letter fonts out there.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I believe the Champions League experiment with a mandatory font last year, but not all teams complied so I think they scraped the idea. This year most teams are wearing their manufacturers font or respective leagues font, however a few are wearing a 'custom' font of their choosing i.e.. Man United, Barcelona, Real Madrid. As Saintsfan said all EPL teams use the same font for league games.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

UEFA doesn't mandate a standard name/number font.

Most of the EPL teams in European play use the same fonts Arsenal are using -- which look garish, IMO -- save for the clubs whose kits are manufactured by adidas, who are using an adidas font that is similar to HandelGothic BT, IIRC.

In previous seasons, Adidas clubs have always used the same Adidas font in the Champions League, while Nike clubs have used individual fonts. Looks like that's the case this season as well.

Here's Arsenal's current Champions League number font:

ArsHSSNo23Euro0910_0810.jpg

Celtic is also a Nike club, but they're using a different CL number font:

celtic-arsenal-image-2-403081781.jpg

There is one number-related rule in the Champions League -- the shirt number may not appear on a striped background. So, teams with stripes must modify their shirts for the Champions League.

Inter Milan, Serie A

Inter-Milan-vs-Parma.jpg

Inter Milan, Champions League

ManchesterUnited2-0InterMilan.jpg

The rule either got scrapped for this season or AC Milan are ignoring it. They wore the striped red/black without the single-color back panel (as they had in previous seasons).

AC Milan v Marseille - UCL Matchday 5

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

There is one number-related rule in the Champions League -- the shirt number may not appear on a striped background. So, teams with stripes must modify their shirts for the Champions League.

Inter Milan, Serie A

Inter-Milan-vs-Parma.jpg

The rule either got scrapped for this season or AC Milan are ignoring it. They wore the striped red/black without the single-color back panel (as they had in previous seasons).

They ignored it. Article 19.01 of the 09/10 Champions League Regulations says that "the UEFA Kit Regulations (2008 ed.) apply to all matches in the competition", and Article 10.03 of the UEFA Kit Regulations says "single-colour background."

Inter Milan, Serie A

Inter-Milan-vs-Parma.jpg

They ignored it. Article 19.01 of the 09/10 Champions League Regulations says that "the UEFA Kit Regulations (2008 ed.) apply to all matches in the competition", and Article 10.03 of the UEFA Kit Regulations says "single-colour background."

I think that the rule is pretty obsolete, the pictures of Inter Milan you showed were from two different years. Eto'o only joined the team this year. Cristiano Ronaldo was on Man U last year

Archived