NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance that since the Seahawks have started to wear their uniform correctly on the road (white over blue) they'll do the same at home (blue over white)?

As far as I'm concerned, the new correct is neon green, buster.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any chance that since the Seahawks have started to wear their uniform correctly on the road (white over blue) they'll do the same at home (blue over white)?

As far as I'm concerned, the new correct is neon green, buster.

You called?

87Redskins.png

I think the Jets white helmet, white pants, plain white socks look was inspired by this.

space-suit-apollo11-suita.jpg

So much white, so bland.

I know you are making an attempt at humor here, but I honestly don't see the comparison what so ever. In my opinion, the Jets' all-white look is broken up quite nicely by the double green stripes down the pants and on the helmet, and matching stripes on the shoulders combined with the green side panels on the sleeves. I think they have the best all-white look in pro football...even better then the Colts.

Looks like the Pats will still be wearing throwbacks this weekend despite the time change. I wonder if the Dolphins are too. Look at the retro helmet in this press release link.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=pressreleasesdetail&pid=40644&pcid=47

Thanks for the link.

UGH! I'm getting pretty tired of all of these throwbacks. The NFL won't let teams have alternate helmets because it "dilutes the brand" yet they insist on stuffing these overused boring throwbacks down our throats every other week; As if THAT doesn't dilute the brand too. Ever since NFL Shop starting selling throwback t-shirts, sweat shirts and random gear we've seen a notable increase in throwbacks year after year. I guess its still all about the $$$$$$$$$

I think the Jets white helmet, white pants, plain white socks look was inspired by this.

So much white, so bland.

I know you are making an attempt at humor here, but I honestly don't see the comparison what so ever. In my opinion, the Jets' all-white look is broken up quite nicely by the double green stripes down the pants and on the helmet, and matching stripes on the shoulders combined with the green side panels on the sleeves. I think they have the best all-white look in pro football...even better then the Colts.

I agree, I really like the Jets white look. Very clean.

So much white, so bland.

I agree. I love the Browns in all white too, but that ain't happenin this year.

iq5b7nF.png

Looks like the Pats will still be wearing throwbacks this weekend despite the time change. I wonder if the Dolphins are too. Look at the retro helmet in this press release link.

I think NE was just using a throwback helmet drawing for their press release. The Dolphins aren't doing a throwback this year.

Thanks for the link.

UGH! I'm getting pretty tired of all of these throwbacks. The NFL won't let teams have alternate helmets because it "dilutes the brand" yet they insist on stuffing these overused boring throwbacks down our throats every other week; As if THAT doesn't dilute the brand too. Ever since NFL Shop starting selling throwback t-shirts, sweat shirts and random gear we've seen a notable increase in throwbacks year after year. I guess its still all about the $$$$$$$$$

:rolleyes:

For the last time, the throwback madness this year is for a fiftieth anniversary season ONLY. Surly one season to celebrate the founding of one of the two leagues that basically made American pro football what it is today is an acceptable reason for throwbacks? Don't worry, next year it'll be back to normal.

People are acting like the NFL turned into the NBA....

For the last time, the throwback madness this year is for a fiftieth AFL anniversary season ONLY.

Not entirely true.

The Bills have been wearing their throwback garb for years now. So have the Cowboys. And the Vikings. And the Steelers. And the Jets.

Plus the Falcons, Rams and Bucs have gotten into the act this year, celebrating various high-points (or low points) of their history.

The "throwback" deal is played out and has gotten old. Now even some colleges are being suckered into it (and look ridiculous doing it).

I get the "AFL" deal. I understand doing it for that reason. But most of the rest? Pointless, when you only play 16 games a year. The alts mostly make sense, because they use colors in the current color scheme of the team and usually use the same uniform templete. But the "throwback for the sake of wearing a throwback" craze that some teams seem to believe in, is a bit much.

Yes, I'm over the Cowboys throwbacks. Either modernize them for full-time use or lose the. I'd prefer they fix the mess they've created over time with multiple blues and silvers first. The endzones are navy now. Time to change the "untouchable" (but oh so touched) white home uni.

And don't forget that this might have all started back in 1994 when another "only one year" celebration happened. It certainly launched the campaign to bring back the Chargers' powder blue, something they got special permission to do in 2000.

And there was the couple-year trend of and NFL-sanctioned "Thanksgiving throwback weekend." So while they might not quite be the NBA, it's a short leap to get there with only 16 games compared to 82.

For the last time, the throwback madness this year is for a fiftieth AFL anniversary season ONLY.

Not entirely true.

The Bills have been wearing their throwback garb for years now. So have the Cowboys. And the Vikings. And the Steelers. And the Jets.

Plus the Falcons, Rams and Bucs have gotten into the act this year, celebrating various high-points (or low points) of their history.

The "throwback" deal is played out and has gotten old. Now even some colleges are being suckered into it (and look ridiculous doing it).

I get the "AFL" deal. I understand doing it for that reason. But most of the rest? Pointless, when you only play 16 games a year. The alts mostly make sense, because they use colors in the current color scheme of the team and usually use the same uniform templete. But the "throwback for the sake of wearing a throwback" craze that some teams seem to believe in, is a bit much.

The Patriots, Chargers, Broncos, Titans, Chiefs, and Raiders are all only wearing throwbacks this season, to celebrate their/the AFL's 50th Anniversary. On top of that the Bills and Jets, who have worn their throwbacks before, are only wearing them with increased frequency this season because of the AFL's 50th Anniversary. Yes, some teams have, and do wear throwbacks outside of that parameter, and will continue doing so after this season. The amount of times throwbacks are worn, however, will sharply decrease after this season when the whole AFL thing is done.

As for teams that use throwbacks once or twice regularly, I don't see a problem with it. If you're going to argue that throwbacks don't make sense in a 16 game season, then you have to make the same argument for alternates. At least be consistent with your own arguments.

Most of the throwbacks you mentioned outside of the AFL thing actually function as alternates. Take the Steelers and Cowboys throwbacks. Not only are they throwbacks, but they also tie in with the team's current identity. You can see those teams in their throwbacks and still know who they are. The same goes for the Bills, Falcons, Rams, and Vikings. Besides, throwbacks that also tie into a team's current identity make sense to be used in place of alternates in most of those cases. Falcons aside, what alternate options do the Cowboys, Steelers, Bills, Rams, and Vikings have? You could argue silver, yellow, red, yellow, and yellow (again) versions of their primary sets, but I would argue that those would end up looking worse then the throwbacks do. The throwbacks of these teams, instead, actually serve the purpose of alternates quite well, and thus I don't have a problem with them.

Now I will agree with you in the cases of the Jets and Bucs. The NY Titans throwbacks are fine this year for the AFL Anniversary (which I think you have conceded), but I do agree that they should be ditched as regular alternates. Why? Unlike, say, the Cowboys throwbacks, the Jets' NY Titans throwbacks don't serve the dual alternate/throwback role. They don't tie into the current identity, and thus should be dropped. Same with the Bucs orange and white throwbacks. They don't tie into the current (and superior) identity, and thus shouldn't be worn as regular alternates.

So really I have no problem with throwbacks as alternates on a regular basis if they serve the role alternates are meant to, that is to tie in with the current identity.

The Jets' throwbacks need to go far far away. They should be left in a ditch.

And you know what, I've switched sides on the creamsicle Bucs. I used to feel that they were intrinsically ugly and also tainted with the futility of the teams that wore them. And yet somehow I can't resist.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not sure if this has already been reported on this board, but the Pats will wear the red throwbacks against Miami.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2009/12/04/sports/6555573.txt

Dammit.

Archived