NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really starting to like this trend of the Redskins wearing their burgundy jerseys on their home field...if only because I get so sick of seeing the white jerseys damn near all the time.

Now, if someone could only pass that memo along to the Dolphins and Cowboys...

Agreed, especially since their nickname is the "Red"-skins. Hated it when the "Browns" wore white at home.

That said, I'm sure the Redskins' next head coach likely will put them back in white at home all the time, trying to recapture the lost glory of the first Gibbs era.

Someone should remind the next head coach that the Redskins had some good years wearing burgundy at home in the George Allen glory years, too.

The Redskins are like the most uninteresting "relevant team" in football. They're supposed to be right up there with the Cowboys, Packers, Bears, Steelers, 49ers, and Giants, and man I just can't be arsed to care about that stupid team at all. They have a dicksmack owner and a racist logo and I'm supposed to care but I can't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There is no reason for the Seahawks to have navy pants. They look so similar to the "seahawk blue" pants from far away, and close up they look a lot worse. Wear the blue pants at home and white on the road and they will look the best.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

i love this look for seattle. i'd rather see white pants at home, but if theyre gonna go dark, this is the way. the monochrome doesnt have enough navy in it. this corrects that problem. add pacific blue socks and it'd be set. and for record, the niners pants are great. shiny, metallics are on their way out. i'd bet we see more flat materials and helmets in the coming years.

Also, those 49ers pants look awful. They're just so bland. They look khaki. They need to switch to a more metallic shade for the pants, pronto.

Correction, sir: the 49ers pants look amazing!!! Bland = Old Gold. Khaki looks super awesome. Opinions are like bungholes and to each, their own, but the Niners now have one of the best sets in football!!!!

Also, those 49ers pants look awful. They're just so bland. They look khaki. They need to switch to a more metallic shade for the pants, pronto.

Correction, sir: the 49ers pants look amazing!!! Bland = Old Gold. Khaki looks super awesome. Opinions are like bungholes and to each, their own, but the Niners now have one of the best sets in football!!!!

Further correction. They had one of the best sets, prior to the most recent change. The current set doesn't know what it's suppose to be. A throwback? The "new style" sleeve striping, shiny gold helmets (that look amazing), wordmark under the collar, and the updated logo disagree. A modern uniform? The grey facemask and the "old gold" pants don't think so. It's less an update of the old uniform as it is a clash of a bunch of different elements that don't necessarily work.

i love this look for seattle. i'd rather see white pants at home, but if theyre gonna go dark, this is the way. the monochrome doesnt have enough navy in it. this corrects that problem. add pacific blue socks and it'd be set. and for record, the niners pants are great. shiny, metallics are on their way out. i'd bet we see more flat materials and helmets in the coming years.

Metallic pants have been out for a couple years, but the 49ers had flat pants in the 80's so this isn't a new development to match recent trends. My feelings on all these matte finish pants are that I don't have a problem with them as long as the helmet is the same. It's all about matching the elements of the uniform. I hate how the Jaguars and Clemson switched to a metallic flake helmet, but then ditched their shiny pants for the flat pants but I loved how the Oregon black flat helmet and Missouri pro combat flat helmets looked when paired with their flat pants.

I also think color has a lot to do with it. Gold, as intended with the 49ers, IS metallic in nature so it wouldn't make sense to switch to a flat helmet. Shiny spandexy pants would make sense for them, and the same could be said for any team using Silver as a helmet and pants color. Ohio State looked so much better with shiny spandex pants than their off white flat pants they wear now.

Recap, if your helmet is metallic it looks best to wear metallic pants. If your helmet is flat then it looks best to wear flat material pants.

My personal opinion: flat pants always look worse except in a few instances. In the 49ers case, I preferred the pants material they wore with the last set, but that doesn't even begin to explain the problems I have with their "new-old" uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Man, those, just look pointless. Not really "bad" just pointless. The two blues are just so close that a separate pants set just looks like a sweaty version of the primary set. There just isn't enough contrast between the two blues.

Exactly. If the helmets were navy, then maybe this would be good, but as is, the regular pacific blue pants are way better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Look up the word "timeless" in the dictionary, and chances are you will see a photo of today's Raiders-Steelers game. It comes to show that some of the greatest designs are ones that never change (well, for the most part -- Steelers number font notwithstanding). At the end of the game, I was fully expecting Franco Harris to catch a ball that caromed off Jack Tatum and run it in for the winning touchdown...

except that the Steelers "sleeve" stripes look ridiculous on modern "sleeves".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A thought i had watching the Cards-Vikes game yesterday:

Possibly the ugliest uniform-game in NFL History. Blech. Such a mish-mashed mess of piping, side panels, wacky pant striping, sleeve designs that don't work on linemen sleeves, unnecessary gray facemask, purple vs. red.

Only thing that would be worse is if the roles were reversed and the game was in Minny, with the Vikes in solid purple and the cards in the white-with-red-shoulders.

Archived