'Reaction' Photos

BlueSky

One of my favorite things when looking at sports photos or videos is seeing the reactions of people in the background. Lots of times in ground level highlights you can see the fans react to the play.

Here's an example - check out Sean Payton after Robert Meachem stripped the ball from a Redskin DB after an interception and ran it in for a TD:

robert-meachem6jpg-291b4fb79f715d7a_medium.jpg

One of the all-time great reaction shots was a wide-angle of Jordan's winning shot in the NBA finals. He'd just launched it and you could see the emotion on every last one of the hundreds of fans' faces captured in the pic. It was great.

I have one at home I'll have to find and scan, a newspaper shot from many years ago of Ricky Williams vs. Texas A&M and he's running loose kind of like Meachem in the above pic. The ball boy trailing him down the sideline makes the pic.

Feel free to share any of your favorites.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my desktop background

89image1.jpg

It's a picture of Antoine Vermette of the Columbus Blue Jackets scoring an overtime winner late last season against Chicago. All the different reactions of the fans and the goaltender are almost rockwellian.

PvO6ZWJ.png

PHO-09Jun15-165762.jpg

The Pittsburgh Penguins bench when Fleury made the game-saving last-second save for the Stanley Cup.

The somber look of the fans, teh jubilant look of the players, the still-clutching-towel-in-anxiety of equipment manager Dana Heinze, and the "OMG A COMET HEADING RIGHT FOR US!" expression of former Assistant Coach Tom Fitzgerald and the Head Trainer... while Bylsma, strangely, shows no emotion whatsoever.

oBIgzrL.png

Great idea for a thread!

#1 The pose of the Blackhawks goalie is priceless.

#2 The juxtaposition of the Penguin players/coaches and Red Wing fans really make that pic.

#3 Linden and McLean really show the physical toll of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I have always loved this pic.

#4 I have no idea of what to make of the Flyer fans

This is a good one too, if I'm allowed to post it.

Here is some anguish to contrast the joy...

BooHoo.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

PHO-09Jun15-165762.jpg

The Pittsburgh Penguins bench when Fleury made the game-saving last-second save for the Stanley Cup.

The somber look of the fans, teh jubilant look of the players, the still-clutching-towel-in-anxiety of equipment manager Dana Heinze, and the "OMG A COMET HEADING RIGHT FOR US!" expression of former Assistant Coach Tom Fitzgerald and the Head Trainer... while Bylsma, strangely, shows no emotion whatsoever.

I especially like Crosby's look of "I just f***in' sh** myself in ecstacy!" at the end of the bench!

Also, I know the primary reason for posting that Ocho Cinco pick was to show the Packers fan giving the finger, but...just what the hell is that thing that's actually hugging Ocho Cinco?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

One of my personal favorites

capt.sts14910280414.world_series_red_sox_cardinals_topix_sts149.jpg

The most ironic thing is this photo is that the Red Sox ended the curse with number 3, Edgar Renteria grounding out. Babe Ruth wore number 3 as well.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Dug another one of my favorites out of my files, it's a 1994 photo from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. When I worked at AA doing special projects, one of the things we handled was sports charters, and sometimes we got pics and such like this. It's fans seeing off the Indians as they leave for the World Series.

Misc134-1.jpg

Just got my new SI yesterday with the pics of the year and right on cue, an instant classic in the 'reactions' category. Note the wide range of expressions, from the lady in the green scarf and the guy right behind the fan making the catch who look like they're in court to the kid in the Angels shirt (put your glove down, it's a little out of reach...) to hoodie guy to the blonde woman behind eagle t-shirt dude who looks like she's witnessing some great injustice. My fave might be the Asian man in the Mariners jacket. Love this stuff.

85140724.jpg

Another one, a hat trick celebration...

opj7-8523-raw.jpg

There are many amazing pics in the gallery and it's well worth a look: SI Pics of the Year

Haven't found that pic of Ricky yet.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

PHO-09Jun15-165762.jpg

The photo I took a few seconds after the one quoted was taken

4942_190693275050_583265050_7253676_2873259_n.jpg

One of my favourites from that game was a photo I took of Bill Guerin bringing the Stanley Cup to his young children and the reaction on their faces:

4942_190697915050_583265050_7253767_8178864_n.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived