NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

To me, a tight jersey stretched over both big shoulder pads, and un-padded arms would just look weird. I'd be OK with the separate-tight undersleeve that has designs or strips on it (like the Pro Combat), but I think that as long as the uniforms are going to be tight, they should just cover the pads.

If you ask me, it doesn't look weird in the Jim Brown picture above, and judging by the warped stripes and TV numbers, this jersey is stretched as tight or more than most of today's jerseys. I think the striped undersleeves concept, however, would look pretty strange, though I do think it would be cool to have a compression baselayer with sleeve stripes.

Last year sometime I had a topic that addressed that idea: sleeve stripes on the undershirts.

Sleeves And the Modern Football Uniform

Later in the thread there was even a marketing plan for how the NFL could sell the jerseys.

I don't see why that Jim Brown jersey style wouldn't be feasible, especially with today's lower-profile pads. Sadly, I think it may be a vanity thing like oldschoolvikings said.

If there is a sport where long sleeves would make a lot of sense it would be football. Afterall, the majority of its games are played in the late fall/winter. Not to mention the fact that players basically wear long sleeve undershirts beneath their uniforms. You would think that at some point in time they will just mesh the two together and make it all one item.

I think most players go sleeveless, even in the freezing weather. At least the linemen do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived