New Prospect League Team - Terre Haute Rex

ucnu112

"TERRE HAUTE ? For the first time since 1956, the crack of the wooden bat will be heard again in Terre Haute.

Organized baseball will return to the Wabash Valley next summer as Terre Haute has been approved for a franchise in the collegiate baseball Prospect League starting in the 2010 season.

The team will be named the Terre Haute Rex, part of a corporate partnership with Clabber Girl Corp. and its Rex Brand Coffee. Team colors are expected to be black (for the Rex brand) and blue (ISU?s team colors)."

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_story_344170548.html

Press Release from the Prospect League: http://www.prospectleague.com/story5.pdf

Personally, I think it's kinda goofy they're naming a team after Coffee, but it'll be interesting to see what they unveil for a logo in January.

ucnu112sig.png

You'd prefer the Terre Haute Clabber Girls?

I would've preferred they used one of the legacy names like HottenTots or Huts, or maybe something more regionally-based instead of commercial.

Naming it "Rex" is about like how the Packers were named.

Clabber Girl is trying to get their Rex coffee out as a new nationally-distributed product, so it seems more like a marketing gimmick than a team name.

ucnu112sig.png

Well, this does mean they can shorten the name to "T-Rex" (a la the dinosaur and the '70s glam rock band), and it's a good bet that nickname will catch on with fans too. (Never mind that it would actually be "TH-Rex".)

CCSLC signature.png

I was really hoping for "The Hautian Commotion"...or "The Wabash Cannonballs"...names we used to kick around in graphic design class at ISU for "what if" logo projects.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived