Bmac's NHL Project

Bmac

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two cents:

In General

-The logos on the helmet wouldn't cover up the vents on the sides, such as you have now.

-The chinstraps wouldn't be black.

-Would the pants just have the logos on it or would there be striping as well? If so, maybe consider adding a side view, such as what you have with the socks.

Canadiens

-On the updated away, I would add an extra outline to the back numbers to mimic the outlines of the logo on the front.

-With the alternate, if you keep the new "M" logo, do a red leaf with white lettering on a blue jersey. I realize it would be in Leafs territory, but its something that would still represent the heritage of the Habs.

Islanders

-Stick with one shade of blue.

-The script looks forced when incorporated with the lighthouse.

-Maybe update the font within the primary logo and use that for the home and away.

-If you drop the circle on the alternate, maybe use a modern design. With the circle dropped its almost like the "Turn Ahead the Clock" MLB jerseys, so maybe play off that.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Montreal: I know I'm a minority, so before anyone wastes their time flaming, I'm admitting I'm minority. I've never been a big fan of the Canadiens jerseys. I don't HATE them, but I don't LOVE them the way a LOT of people out there do. If hockey were a stand-alone-uniform league, it would work and perhaps my dislike would change a bit, but what I love about UNIFORM SETS is when they are a ...UNIFORM... ...SET... (the Minnesota Wild being the WORST offenders in hockey). With Montreal it's impossible to take their red jersey and make a uniform match that actually looks good. Either white jersey you created doesn't really look all that great (and that's no offense to you). Your first version is pretty much an inverted design to the dark jersey, which would create a uniform set, but it looks like crap. Why? Because with the red you have a highly contrasting color (white) separating the red and blue. When a matching white version is created you lose that contrast and the red/blue are suddenly next to each other and it isn't aesthetically pleasing. Montreal will NEVER (probably not in my life) change designs, but if you can allow yourself to say "to hell with it" and make something entirely new, I'm sure you can find something that looks nice, even if it isn't generally accepted. Tradition can blind people to good design. As for the third. No thanks. Complete barber pole never works too well and the logo, for some reason, makes me think of the Toronto Arenas.

Islanders: As I noticed someone say; pick one shade of blue. Two shades is overkill, considering your logo is navy on both jerseys yet there is no navy in the white jersey. That makes no sense. The third could be nice with one less blue.

@Capn,

I kind of agree with what you're saying, though I certainly don't feel as strongly about it.

I think that the white jersey needs a center stripe to coordinate with the red. As for the thin red and thick blue not contrasting, I really don't think it's as big a deal as you do (I think it looks OK actually - but I can see how it could create a "purple" effect).

Maybe try using keeping it completely consistent, and using the exact same white-blue-white stripes as on the red jersey, but bordering those with a red (could be thin, possibly even piping-width thin). It'd still be completely consistent with the red jersey, but add that contrast that you feel is missing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Next up, the Toronto Maple Leafs. Here is what they currently wear. IMO, the Leafs have plain, boring jerseys. The have too few stripes. In this concept, I tried to tie the past to the present. I used a new template, based on the Leafs old jerseys. The current logo is used as the crest. A new logo is used on the shoulders. It is a combination of the logo on their current 3rds and an older logo. The alternate jersey introduces light blue into the color scheme. It is a blue jersey with light blue on the ends, as well as in the logo as an accent color. I also made a new wordmark.

mapleleafslogos.png

mapleleafshome2.png

mapleleafsroad2.png

mapleleafsalternate2.png

Ok, home and away are fine, I mean we've seen it a million times but it's about what the Maple Leafs should look like. Although the socks are a downgrade. And I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the helmet logos, look at a hockey helmet, they are not placed over the vents.

But I'm sorry, that alternate is terrible, I have no idea what possessed you to add light blue to the Maple Leafs color scheme, I mean maybe if you had a well thought out reason, but it just looks like you threw in sky blue for the heck of it, and you didn't even attempt to change the template. The Panthers new alternate looks like a cheap knock-off, so this looks like a cheap knock-off of a cheap knock-off.

I get what you're doing with the light blue, but that colour you picked comes across as more 'periwinkle' than 'light blue'. It also seems to be used in weird places- around the logo, it looks good, but elsewhere it looks slapped on.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I don't see what the fuss is about. I think the powder blue actually fits on the third. It looks great outlining the leafs on both the crest and the shoulder. It may be a far fetched element for the Leafs, but I like it. It's a good balance.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on, maybe a Leafs update if it gets a few more comments. Otherwise, time for the Dallas Stars. Here is what the Stars currently wear. I think the Stars are currently lacking in usage of green, a color used by just 3 teams, worn by only one, the Wild (Sharks wear teal). So I made the Stars home jersey green, based off their current template. The road is a white version of the home. For the alternate, I went with a throwback inspired black jersey, with the striping design based on the jerseys the team wore when they first moved to Dallas. The Dallas wordmark is featured on the front, with gold being used very little, a nod to the original colors.

starslogos.png

starshome.png

starsroad.png

starsalternate.png

I like what you did with the striping for the Stars. The black dominated stripe with gold and white accents on the home looks nice. Also I like the alternate. I kind of wish the jerseys had a little more consistency though. The order of the coloring for the stripes, numbers and logo does not match, at least give the numbers another outline. I'm wondering why the sock stripes don't match the arms, I'm not really sure what you were thinking because consistency is usually better than intentional inconsistency. The helmet logos are still really off. And sorry, but the shoulder logo is really bad. The gold tips outside texas are bothersome, and the shape of the star and thickness of the strokes don't match the primary.

I'm a little disappointed, though, that you aren't taking this opportunity of a new NHL series to try some non-cookie cutter templates, all 4 or 5 or however many of your designs have been fill ins of edge templates, even if they dont resemble real life uniforms, the curvature of the stripes is still the same as ever. Now, you did the same thing in all of your past NHL concepts, and I know you can do better when it comes to coming up with creative templates, obviously it's not as easy in paint but I'm sure you have enough experience now to figure it out. Step outside the box and surprise us.

Echoing what elliot said, the stars striping is inconsistent. You also seem to be ignoring the many comments about the helmet logos going over the vents. The worst thing though, as elliot pointed out, is that these concepts are basically all done with the fill tool. I mean come on, from one paint user to another, you can do better. You've been doing this for a while, I am sure you have mastered the basic skills required. Good luck with the rest of the series.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Archived