Phoenix Suns Rebrand

Shumway

Some of you may recall I did a Suns rebrand about a year ago (if not, refresh yo'self: here). Well, I got bored watching the Lions get pummeled by the Ravens and gave it another go. I took a lot of inspiration from previous eras in the Suns' identity and molded it all into what I think is an upgrade. I borrowed/stole some aspects from the recent All-Star game in Phoenix logos, especially the alternate (which is pretty obvious), as well as some of my own tweaks and ideas thrown in there. I loved the incorporation of the Arizona flag, so I left that in, as well as the mountain, although i wanted it a bit more subdued. I also wanted a bit of a neo-western type of font, as somewhat of a throwback to the Nance/Chambers era. I kept the gray, but lightened it pretty significantly to avoid the muddy look that the Suns' current sets seems to get. I'm not 100% sold on the "PHOENIX" going around the sun, but I didn't like it anywhere else I tried (basically, I tried a purple mountain and it was just too much focus on the mountain) It's still a work in progress, but I figured I'd share what I've done thus far and get some criticism as I dive into alternate logos and uniforms.

Suns.png

Not a fan of what you did with the S in Suns. Just looks awkward.

I get that you're having all the letters be uniform but it doesn't seem to work as well with the S as it does the U and the N.

I think what may be taking away from the shape of the S's is the beveling. To me, the beveling seems unnecessary. The outline of the whole logo suffices if you're going to incorporate gray in the scheme. To be honest though, this will succeed without gray, which will give it even more of the throwback look.

VmWIn6B.png

This is really cool. I like the font and I really like the "Phoenix" in the sun's rays. The bevel on "Suns" is unnecessary. This is a very symetrical design and, because of that, the off-center mountain is messing with me. It seems like it should be centered and symetrical as well.

Great concept!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I think the word "Suns" is too small compared to the sun above it. It looks a little top-heavy IMO. Also the seams of the basketball could be smoother. Overall, it a good start. I like the sun rays and once the proportions are adjusted, this will look pretty good.

I like pretty much everything about this... except for the mountain. In my mind, it seems out of place for Phoenix. I think the effect would look fantastic without the mountain, extending the rays further towards the bottom. Maybe the top half of the star from the flag could be at the bottom of the ball as it's seen? A secondary mark could then have the full star with a darker orange field across the bottom, mimicking the full flag.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I love the concept, I love the flag aspect, I love the Phoenix going through the rays, and I don't mind the Suns wordmark. The only things I don't care for is the subtle mountain, it's just too subtle to be involved in a primary logo, and then the call lines, they seem to thin out too much!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, it took me a month to get around to it, but I've got an update with uniforms -- the whole bit.

The logo hasn't changed a whole lot, really. Lost the white for more of the lighter/yellow-orange. The mountain went away for more of a "sunrise" type effect.

Suns_Logo.png

I went with a minimal approach for the uniforms, with the sun appearing on the shorts again. I added the number to the shorts in a sun shape...not really 100% sold on it, but I left it for the time being.

Suns_Home.png

Suns_Road.png

Some details:

Suns_Etc.png

Overall, it's a great concept, but there are a few things bugging me. That's not to say they don't look good, I just think they could be executed better.

1. Primary logo, I don't like that P H O E N I X doesn't take up all the rays, I think it would look better if it did.

2. The jersey side stripes seem unnecessary in the middle like that, I'd have the go down to the waist.

3. The home jersey has a colored waist band, where as the road doesn't. I'd expect it too be orange or maybe even white.

But like I said, it's a great design, looks fresh, and I'm lovin your font and number choice. Good work!

Top notch...great blend of retro and modern.

Would love to see these on the court.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived