Does anyone prefer the older NBC logo?

Quillz

I recently came across a topic that was focused on the various logos NBC has used over the years, and I came across their previous "peacock" logo, that was used from approximately 1979-1986.

nbclogo1979.png

Maybe it's only me, but I think I prefer this logo to their current one, which has been in use since 1986. I just feel that this older logo is more colorful (obviously), and also better shows the "body" of the peacock, which is almost completely obscured on the current logo.

I think the main issues with this older logo was it was perhaps too colorful, and the "head" is facing "backward," in the sense that it's looking left. But it's a 1-second job to mirror the logo, and of course the colors could always be changed and/or pared down to be less distracting.

I recently came across a topic that was focused on the various logos NBC has used over the years, and I came across their previous "peacock" logo, that was used from approximately 1979-1986.

nbclogo1979.png

Maybe it's only me, but I think I prefer this logo to their current one, which has been in use since 1986. I just feel that this older logo is more colorful (obviously), and also better shows the "body" of the peacock, which is almost completely obscured on the current logo.

I think the main issues with this older logo was it was perhaps too colorful, and the "head" is facing "backward," in the sense that it's looking left. But it's a 1-second job to mirror the logo, and of course the colors could always be changed and/or pared down to be less distracting.

At the larger size, I do prefer this one. But the beauy of the current design is that it looks great at small size.

nbc.gif

You're really asking the peacock network to drop the peacock?

I have to admit Gothamite does have a point about the 6 feathered peacock when it's small, but I would think that'd be less of an issue in the HDTV era. That said, I would definietly welcome a return to the 11 feathered version.

BTW... little known fact about the famous NBC chimes. The notes that are played are "G-E-C" for General Electric Company. They've owned NBC since its early days as a radio network.

I have to admit Gothamite does have a point about the 6 feathered peacock when it's small, but I would think that'd be less of an issue in the HDTV era. That said, I would definietly welcome a return to the 11 feathered version.

BTW... little known fact about the famous NBC chimes. The notes that are played are "G-E-C" for General Electric Company. They've owned NBC since its early days as a radio network.

Right there is one of the reasons I love CCSLC, picking up little nuances about well known things. Honestly I'd never thought about what the notes were or why those particular notes were chosen. Good stuff!

Maybe I can reciprocate with some small details people may not know about my former employer American Airlines. As many people know, the American flag is always displayed on aircraft, vehicles, uniforms, etc. with the blue field of stars forward. AA treats their stylized eagle - known internally as the 'scissor eagle' - the same way. In the logo, it always faces right, towards the blue 'A'. But on aircraft, the eagle always faces forward.

AA_American_Airlines-logo-F114ACE3E1-seeklogo.com.gif

512.jpg

1178294.jpg

Also, when the logo was redesigned in 1968, the designer wanted to eliminate the eagle entirely and just use the initials 'AA'. Company officials contacted Mobil, who'd recently done away with their famous flying red horse. They asked how employees and customers felt about the horse going away. Their Mobil contact replied, "You'd think we shot Christ." The eagle stayed. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Company officials contacted Mobil, who'd recently done away with their famous flying red horse. They asked how employees and customers felt about the horse going away. Their Mobil contact replied, "You'd think we shot Christ." The eagle stayed. :D

That quote made me laugh out loud. The Mobil Pegasus logo is iconic, even though it hasn't been used since 1966.

G-E-C that's a cool fact. Now my question is, did this just start recently, or has the chime been there forever while I've been oblivious?

To comment on the thread topic, I like the new logo. The primary colours work for me.

G-E-C that's a cool fact. Now my question is, did this just start recently, or has the chime been there forever while I've been oblivious?

To comment on the thread topic, I like the new logo. The primary colours work for me.

Um, that. I believe it's been around since the radio days because of course back then you couldn't see the peacock so they used the chime as their aural 'logo'. Now they may have discontinued using it on TV for some period of time but it's been around forever.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Company officials contacted Mobil, who'd recently done away with their famous flying red horse. They asked how employees and customers felt about the horse going away. Their Mobil contact replied, "You'd think we shot Christ." The eagle stayed. :D

That quote made me laugh out loud. The Mobil Pegasus logo is iconic, even though it hasn't been used since 1966.

False.

There was a Mobil about 1/2 a mile from my house and it used the Pegasus logo up until the time they merged with Exxon and it became an Exxon instead of a Mobil.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Not only does the network still use the NBC chimes, the notes are also in a bunch of songs. The old NFL on NBC theme was based on the chimes. I think Dateline NBC's was too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Um, that. I believe it's been around since the radio days because of course back then you couldn't see the peacock so they used the chime as their aural 'logo'. Now they may have discontinued using it on TV for some period of time but it's been around forever.

I was going for the last part of your answer...whether they were using it on TV all along. If it's been recently reintroduced, I'm not losing my marbles. If it's always been there, they have certainly stepped it up.

Archived