From Cincinnati to Notre Dame

PackerBadger

I think the sacredness overrides Kelly in a way. Almost like Hockey's Original 6, you just can't change a school that has been enriched in tradition as much as Notre Dame has. I know the idea of "a fresh start, a step in a new direction, a new era" will come into play at some point. But it just doesn't merit a change to me....

I think most will agree that we won't see too much piping and other modernization. However, I would not be blown away if he went to names on the back. Players like that.

(Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think ND has ever done that).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think most will agree that we won't see too much piping and other modernization. However, I would not be blown away if he went to names on the back. Players like that.

(Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think ND has ever done that).

Consider yourself corrected. I will post a link and/or photos shortly.

EDIT -- From the following blog (you need to scroll about 50% of the way down) --

The Blue-Gray Sky

Dan Devine made 2 changes to the uniform; he discontinued the use of the blue merit stars and he added names to back of the jerseys (left). Devine’s major mark on the history of the ND uniform would come on October 22, 1977 in Notre Dame Stadium.

Too Devine era pics --

tn_rudy_names_jerseys.jpg

tn_montana_78_cottonbowl_close_crop.jpg

Faust also continued the practice of having player’s names appear on the back of the jerseys.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So I am (corrected).

I could see Kelly bringing it back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

The only thing that has a chance of even being touched are the away jerseys. He could maybe get away with some piping on the away jersey, but if he touches the home jersey, South Bend would absolutely revolt.

Not that I care much about ND (actually, I don't at all)...but I really wouldn't mind seeing the ND monogram return to the sleeves in place of the TV numbers. That was kinda cool.

(While we're discussing this...let's see one of you ProCombataholics attempt one for the 'Domers!!)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So I am (corrected).

Sorry if I came off like I was jumping on you. I had the link handy from the time my sister-in-law insisted that Notre Dame never wore names on the back of their jerseys . . . and I felt the need to be prepared in case she brought it up again.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

No way ND makes drastic changes. Maybe names on the back....maybe.

1. As stated before, The Domers (alumni with mucho macho $$$s) would revolt.

2. No need to recruit thugs (it is ND after all...)that have to shout "LOOK AT ME!!!!...LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!!!" that demand that they wear outlandish and garish uniforms.

Totally off topic, but I got to be on the field before the Cincinnati vs. Pitt game a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that while I didn't like the Bearcats uniforms when seen in pictures on this forum or on TV, they looked absoultely fantastic up close and personal. I really became a fan of them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I am (corrected).

Sorry if I came off like I was jumping on you. I had the link handy from the time my sister-in-law insisted that Notre Dame never wore names on the back of their jerseys . . . and I felt the need to be prepared in case she brought it up again.

Ara Parseghian also had NOB for bowl games. And so did Lou Holtz, once.

I think TV numbers need to stay and names need to be on the back of a team that is on TV as often as Notre Dame is.

Packers-2.png

So I am (corrected).

No biggie, that's why we're here. That's why i was not very insistent. I knew someone here would know if I was wrong.

POTD (Shared)

They won't change anything.

Question:

I know ND used to paint their helmets before every game back in the day. Lately, their helmets look less like gold leaf and more like pre-colored metallic shells. Has the paint changed or are they just using pre-colored helmets now?nd-wknd-helmet-painting.jpg

jimmy-clausen-p1.jpg

It no longer looks like gold leaf, is pale in comparison.

87Redskins.png

I think Cincy's uniforms are terrible with white pants...but the black are okay because they dont have that bold stripe.

how is this a concept though?? should i post one :grin:

Yes. You're one of my favorite conceptualizers <--- :blink: on the boards.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Does Brian Kelly really have a say in the uniforms? Prior to the uniforms Cincinnati wears now, they wore a rather simple Nike template (the jersey was similar to the Houston Texans). When Mick Cronin came to be UC's basketball coach, he brought Adidas with him (UC had previously been using the Jordan (Nike) brand for their basketball uniforms and Nike for every other sports). In Kelly's second year, the university announced all athletics would be switching to Adidas. Now, the jerseys they use now are just an Adidas template, the same one Arkansas uses, and the same one Michigan uses on their away uniforms, among other schools. The only thing unique is the pants, which I'm pretty sure wasn't a Brian Kelly idea. Now that Kelly is at Notre Dame, who also is an Adidas football school, I doubt the uniforms change unless they are presented with a new Adidas template, which would undoubtedly be used by a few other Adidas schools.

No way ND makes drastic changes. Maybe names on the back....maybe.

1. As stated before, The Domers (alumni with mucho macho $$$s) would revolt.

2. No need to recruit thugs (it is ND after all...)that have to shout "LOOK AT ME!!!!...LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!!!" that demand that they wear outlandish and garish uniforms.

That's an awfully dubious choice of word... exactly what about being an attention whore is "thuggish?"

As far as the unis... before my computer crashed, I was working on a Notre Dame concept where the numbers had double outlines and followed a rule similar to what the Chargers do. Something like this.

JERSEY - NUMBER - INNER OUTLINE - OUTER OULINE

Home/Navy - White - Green - Gold

Road/White - Navy - Gold - Green

Alt/Green - Gold - Navy - White

Archived