Sign in to follow this  
nugent4president

Oregon Ducks Rose Bowl Helmet

Personally, I'd like to see 'em get ahold of Stephan Pastis for permission to use the Lil' Guard Duck from Pearls Before Swine:

14355_1249888081852_1068971233_796359_4895251_n.jpg

10953_1270266351296_1068971233_855845_971411_n.jpg

(then again, since Pastis is a Cal alum, he'd likely never allow a rival school to use his work)

More than likely not a Nike shirt, therefore no "O" logo and this was used as a generic placeholder.

This is the same situation with Illinois merchandise. The "Circle I" can only be used on Nike products.

I know it would never show up as the helmet logo, but I like the use of Donald holding a rose:

2728864.jpg

Maybe I'm just strange, but I can't stand that cartoon logo.

It just doesn't seem, to me, like it belongs on a football uniform.

I know it would never show up as the helmet logo, but I like the use of Donald holding a rose:

2728864.jpg

Maybe I'm just strange, but I can't stand that cartoon logo.

It just doesn't seem, to me, like it belongs on a football uniform.

I agree with you 100%. It's OK to have a mascot that looks like that, but as a logo for sports teams, it's pretty weak IMO.

I personally love the "faux-backs" that they recently wore against Oregon St. I wish they'd sport those again.

I personally love the "faux-backs" that they recently wore against Oregon St. I wish they'd sport those again.

I liked those, too.

Really like the flat black helmets, though.

The t-shirt is just a generic helmet because the 'O' logo can't be used on non-Nike products.

I love the 'O'+Rose helmet above. Thats hot.

I was really hoping for the carbon helmet and steel pants combo. But seeing as we are playing a team that already wears grey pants and a grey helmet, that would be pretty dumb.

Chip Kelly did say they had "something special in the works" though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Just a guess, but I would imagine that the University would want to use the Rose Bowl stage to extend their brand visibility to a nation-wide audience. It seems like the basic green helmet would be the best way to do that (maybe with the rose in it?).

2728864.jpg

Forget the rose, that duck's wearing a visor!

I love how college logos insist on humanizing every animal by giving them opposable thumbs, muscles, clothing, and teeth for animals that shouldn't have teeth.

when did this ridiculous practice start and when will they stop doing that?

From the official Ohio State Buckeyes team shop comes this t-shirt:

FF_400662ALT2_xl.jpg

Dear God, they are changing again...or are they? All the other shirts/hoodies seem to have the standard green helmet design.

All merchandise on the Oregon team website also have the green helmet with the yellow 'O' design.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Probably just didn't want to pay the licensing fees to use their official logo. If they were going to do something special, there's no way Nike would put something like that out there. I'm guessing if they do anything special, it'll be way over the top.

Correct. I still have 2 Fiesta Bowl shirts (2002 vs. Colorado). One licensed with the "O"; one unlicensed with that same "Ducks" script.

BTW, UniWatch has a good column today (12/19). Interview with Casey Martin, who selects the uniforms for each game.

FF_400662ALT2_xl.jpg

Dear God, they are changing again...or are they? All the other shirts/hoodies seem to have the standard green helmet design.

All merchandise on the Oregon team website also have the green helmet with the yellow 'O' design.

That design is outdated by about 25 years.

Look at those helmets and facemasks. Good Lord.

I love how college logos insist on humanizing every animal by giving them opposable thumbs, muscles, clothing, and teeth for animals that shouldn't have teeth.

Um...a long time ago and never, respectively.

FF_400662ALT2_xl.jpg

So outdated that the designer is using a helmet template from 1985 and added an extra bar to try to look newer. Jeez, pick a damn style and stick with it tor awhile!

FTR, the Joey Harrington era unis were the best I've seen.

FF_400662ALT2_xl.jpg

Unbelievably brutal.

Looks like the Rose Bowl decided to touch up a Raiders-Jets program from 1990.

Unbelievably brutal.

Looks like the Rose Bowl decided to touch up a Raiders-Jets program from 1990.

Hate to sound douchey but you guys think maybe the design was meant to look throwback-y?

Um...a long time ago and never, respectively.

it was a rhetorical question. don't think they've invented a smilie for that yet....at least not to my knowledge.