Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I'm bumping this up because there's a report that the Big Ten and Texas are talking

Big Ten reportedly talks with Texas

From an $$$$ standpoint why not,but geographically WTF???

If admitted, nearly all of the state of Texas which does not have BTN will have to get it due to the Texas Exs who would always see their teams (football, basketball, volleyball) in national games and never in Standard Def.

Athletics, academics, research, graduate studies, incremental TV households for the BTN, national reputation/fan base, the "in" to a football recruiting hotbed of La/Tex, a great college town...what's not to like? Losing Tech and Baylor as rivals is worse for those schools than for UT. Sort of makes the thought of adding Mizzou or Rutgers seem silly.

This presumes, of course, that the Texas state legislature will let UT-Austin bail on all of those teams without cutting state aid. IIRC this was one of the considerations that led to them joining the Big XII with half the old Southwest Conference. Additionally would Texas want to bail on a very, very cushy revenue sharing deal they have in the Big XII now, and their rivalries with Oklahoma and A&M? (The aforementioned legislators may definitely take issue with bailing on the latter.)

If the Big Ten manages to get Texas, do they get to take Texas' former conference's name, too?

Well, Texas pretty much owns the Big Twelve, so why not? (Outside of brand awareness for the Big Ten name.)

---------------------------------------------

I'm not sure I'd like to be the Big Twelve Commissioner at the moment, with the Pac 10 sounding like its getting serious about courting Colorado, and the Big Ten possibly poaching Missouri, Texas, or some other team(s) from my league.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With the Big XII, Baylor or TCU was the key point which the Texas Legislature debated. Heck, they could take aTm to give Texas a travel partner then Pitt as Penn State's travel partner. In terms of funding, both schools receive state funding via the PUF (Permanent University Fund), an endowment specific for those two school. UT System receives 2/3 of the profits with the other third going to the TAMU system. That could be their main legislative funding stumbling block, but they account for less than 20% of each operating budget. Plus current Gov. Rick Perry is a former Aggie cheer, er yell-leader and his main opponent US Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison is a Texas Ex.

Academically, any possible move may also allow UT to enter the CIC (Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), a consortium of the 11 Big Ten universities plus the University of Chicago. CIC universities confer, on average, 15% of all PhD degrees awarded annually in the US. In addition, CIC members engage in $6 billion in research funding (3.2 billion which is federal), accounting for 12% of the total federal research funds awarded annually.

Also take note that the Pac-10 has hired former Big XII commissioner (1998-2007) Kevin Weiberg as a Deputy Commissioner and COO this week.

With the Big XII, Baylor or TCU was the key point which the Texas Legislature debated. Heck, they could take aTm to give Texas a travel partner then Pitt as Penn State's travel partner. In terms of funding, both schools receive state funding via the PUF (Permanent University Fund), an endowment specific for those two school. UT System receives 2/3 of the profits with the other third going to the TAMU system. That could be their main legislative funding stumbling block, but they account for less than 20% of each operating budget. Plus current Gov. Rick Perry is a former Aggie cheer, er yell-leader and his main opponent US Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison is a Texas Ex.

Academically, any possible move may also allow UT to enter the CIC (Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), a consortium of the 11 Big Ten universities plus the University of Chicago. CIC universities confer, on average, 15% of all PhD degrees awarded annually in the US. In addition, CIC members engage in $6 billion in research funding (3.2 billion which is federal), accounting for 12% of the total federal research funds awarded annually.

Also take note that the Pac-10 has hired former Big XII commissioner (1998-2007) Kevin Weiberg as a Deputy Commissioner and COO this week.

I keep seeing the "14 team Big Ten" idea punted around online, and I'm not sure I think its a good idea. College Super Leagues strike me as being more unwieldy than its worth; and I dislike the thought that a football player could theoretically go all 4 years without playing every team in their own Conference. The WAC ended up imploding, and I see minor signs that all is not rosy in the Super East either.

That said, adding those teams pretty much would give Jim Delany the ability to drive around the country in a solid gold carriage drawn by albino penguins screaming "I'm rich bitch!" at the top of his voice. Texas alone might do the trick for that.

I still think the Texas Legislature is going to be the major obstacle in all of this; the Big Twelve exists because of them, and they will not take kindly to the meal ticket/centerpiece of the Conference running off to join them Yankees.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I keep seeing the "14 team Big Ten" idea punted around online, and I'm not sure I think its a good idea. College Super Leagues strike me as being more unwieldy than its worth; and I dislike the thought that a football player could theoretically go all 4 years without playing every team in their own Conference. The WAC ended up imploding, and I see minor signs that all is not rosy in the Super East either.

That said, adding those teams pretty much would give Jim Delany the ability to drive around the country in a solid gold carriage drawn by albino penguins screaming "I'm rich bitch!" at the top of his voice. Texas alone might do the trick for that.

I still think the Texas Legislature is going to be the major obstacle in all of this; the Big Twelve exists because of them, and they will not take kindly to the meal ticket/centerpiece of the Conference running off to join them Yankees.

Think about it this way...the Great Midwest (now C-USA) was originally a basketball only conference, so a super conference can work, if it wants to. The Big East is primarily a basketball conference with football just because.

The BTN is jointly owned by the conference and Comcast. The conference receives $0.75/subscriber per month in the eight states which have Big Ten Teams and $1/subscriber elsewhere. The 'horns would always be aired nationally, always be in HD (BTN, ESPN, ABC) and get that add revenue. 75 million households (currently) ads up. Meanwhile, The Mtn., is in more when combining Vs., the MTN, and CBS College Sports, and not all events are in HD. The Pac Ten will face the same distribution issues, and near the same scheduling issues. .

State colleges receive less and less state funding every fiscal year, but fan backlash in terms of away travel may seem more if an issue. Heck even today, I heard OU fans openly tell me that the Sooners are the "franchise program" in the Big XII. It was Bob Bullock, the TX representative, who truly forced the issue of the Big XII to take only Tech and Baylor, as he was an alumni of each school, not Gov. Ann Richards. He died in 1999.

I want no part of this. Nothing against the Big Ten whatsoever, but I like seeing teams in my region on a regular basis. I have friends and family etc. that have ties to Tech, Baylor, Gigem U and so on. I know the almighty dollar rules all in college football (hell, in life period), but the backlash UT would get due to this decision would make the powers that be rethink it. Leave it alone.

newsig.jpg

I want no part of this. Nothing against the Big Ten whatsoever, but I like seeing teams in my region on a regular basis. I have friends and family etc. that have ties to Tech, Baylor, Gigem U and so on. I know the almighty dollar rules all in college football (hell, in life period), but the backlash UT would get due to this decision would make the powers that be rethink it. Leave it alone.

Then what about the Pac-10? Every year, UT would play Sooner and the Corps, but just replace Baylor and Texas State with Purdue and Indiana. The Purdue game would be great so we could see who REALLY has the World's Biggest Snare Drum! That intrigues me.

Hey, where's "spammy" with all his inside information since he works directly with a D-1 athletic director? :P]

Then what about the Pac-10? Every year, UT would play Sooner and the Corps, but just replace Baylor and Texas State with Purdue and Indiana. The Purdue game would be great so we could see who REALLY has the World's Biggest Snare Drum! That intrigues me.

Hey, where's "spammy" with all his inside information since he works directly with a D-1 athletic director? :P]

That's a low blow.

To Texas State :P

Today, we are all otaku.

Just my opinion but in the end I think Pitt will be the school joining the Big Ten.

Division A - Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin

Division B - Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State, Minnesota

I see things more like this. Better rivalry structure and the Black division would be the more intriguing division for more football while the Black division would be more the basketball division.

Big Ten

Black Division

Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois

Blue Division

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa

Guys, the Big Ten is not going to expand, period. The whole conference would have to vote on it, its just not happening. If it did, however, Missouri or Iowa State would be added, just because of geographical location. Texas will stay in the Big 12, and if Texas were to leave, the would join the PAC 11. Thats really all I have to say on this...

I'm with you on this. At first, I was thrilled with the idea of Texas joining the Big Ten. After some more thought on the matter I'm not so crazy about the idea. Texas would be an incredible addition to the conference but I just don't think it's a good idea for the sport overall. Especially if the rumors that A&M and Oklahoma may come along turn out to be true. It would all but destroy The Big XII and I'm not so sure it wouldn't damage The Big Ten in the long run. The Big Ten would go from being a pretty cool tradition laden conference to an ungainly behemoth. The Big XII, if it survived, would become more like The Big East or The ACC. College Football and The BCS would have three (more like two and a half) "power" conferences and a bunch of "second tier" conferences.

If The Big Ten "has" to expand then I think Pitt is a much better choice all around.

BB52Big.jpg

Guys, the Big Ten is not going to expand, period. The whole conference would have to vote on it, its just not happening. If it did, however, Missouri or Iowa State would be added, just because of geographical location. Texas will stay in the Big 12, and if Texas were to leave, the would join the PAC 11. Thats really all I have to say on this...

The Big Ten will expand if they get a big fish that makes it worth it. Texas would be one. Notre Dame would be another. There are few other legitimate possibilities.

Iowa State? Not even a remote chance. Mizzou? Simply a remote chance. Those schools are likely to decrease average revenue, and that's not an option.

Best suggestion I heard was for Texas to go independent and start "The Texas Channel," thereby bringing insane amounts of money to Texas athletics, even more than they would by linking up with the Big Ten Network, since niche cable channel carriage is pretty much what post-secondary education is all about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Geographical location is precisely why those schools probably won't be added. It's all about marketing these days, and they already sell their channel in and recruit their players from those markets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey, where's "spammy" with all his inside information since he works directly with a D-1 athletic director? tongue.gif]

Please do, The Big Ten will expand and when they do it will be a big name. I am thinking it will be either Pitt, Texas or Notre Dame to be in the mix. As far as your "Pac 11" theory. If and when the Pacific 10 expands, they will not be looking at Texas, they will go with Idaho/Boise State, Nevada/UNLV or BYU/Utah. I've even heard of rumors of Colorado/Colorado State. Just so they can have a travel partner. Please stop trying to sound like a know it all. I know this is a board with opinions, but seriously.