Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Welp, now I've done it; I've pissed off Omaha.

If you did... No one will care because they're too busy swooning over the UFL's Nighthawks.

I don't think there's going to be too much swooning over the Nighthawks, at least long term. As a Nebraska native, I can attest that they're shiny and new, but unless they find success soon, they'll vanish into distant memory. Look at the Omaha Beef. Or the Knights hockey team. Nebraska will ALWAYS be a Husker-first state. I don't care if the damn Yankees, Packers, Cowboys, Lakers and Red Wings all moved to Omaha, people would still put the Big Red first.

That has GOT to go down as one of the all-time best/funniest sports team names of all-time. :lol:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That has GOT to go down as one of the all-time best/funniest sports team names of all-time. :lol:

I agree that it's unique. Having been to some Beef games though, I think it's a good fit for the city when you consider that when Omaha was founded it was a major stockyard / meatpacking hub. All the ranchers from the west would bring their herds into town and then they'd ship the meat down the Missouri River.

I'm hearing a bunch of Boise State going to the MTN West rumors, too. Anyone else think so?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I agree that it's unique. Having been to some Beef games though, I think it's a good fit for the city when you consider that when Omaha was founded it was a major stockyard / meatpacking hub. All the ranchers from the west would bring their herds into town and then they'd ship the meat down the Missouri River.

I'm hearing a bunch of Boise State going to the MTN West rumors, too. Anyone else think so?

The Beef moniker was a tribute to the size of the linemen.

Boise State to the MWC is pretty much a done deal barring a lot of other spectacular raiding of the MWC going down.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Having Boise, TCU, Utah & BYU all in one conference would be pretty sweet. Hopefully the MWC only loses Utah to the Pac-10. But if the mega expansion happens all bets are off.

How? I think that Boise St. in the WAC helps more since they have more games on ESPN2, as opposed to CBS College, Versus, and The Mtn.

They get to play more on Thursday, Friday and the occasional Sunday in football, so they reach a larger potential audience on ESPN2 than those other MWC networks. They are the draw for the WAC now since Fresno State has become mediocre. If they move and become the standard team on Versus, they will still have to be on at the same time as the SEC on CBS, the ABC game with the ESPN2 reverse feed, and the FSN Pac-10 game. The overall travel cost for the lesser teams may benefit them, but that stadium and city size will continue to hinder them.

If (and when) Boise State goes to the Mountain West, it will be solely because that league is chasing an automatic BCS bid. Nothing more, nothing less.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If (and when) Boise State goes to the Mountain West, it will be solely because that league is chasing an automatic BCS bid. Nothing more, nothing less.

I completely agree with you. Unless we go all mega-expansion, I can see the major 6 conferences changing a bit. ACC, SEC, Big10, Big12, MTN West and Pac10. I really don't see the Big East surviving all this shake-up, not in football anyway. But if the Big10 goes supernova, then expect the ACC and SEC to snatch up 4 more schools each and possibly the Pac10 to follow suit and grab six more schools- likely taking schools like Utah or Colorado, which would essentially make the MTN West become the new WAC.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I completely agree with you. Unless we go all mega-expansion, I can see the major 6 conferences changing a bit. ACC, SEC, Big10, Big12, MTN West and Pac10. I really don't see the Big East surviving all this shake-up, not in football anyway. But if the Big10 goes supernova, then expect the ACC and SEC to snatch up 4 more schools each and possibly the Pac10 to follow suit and grab six more schools- likely taking schools like Utah or Colorado, which would essentially make the MTN West become the new WAC.

One of these is not like the others--and it ain't the Pac 10, either.

(Nope...sadly, it's the conference my 'Noles play in. :down: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

One of these is not like the others--and it ain't the Pac 10, either.

(Nope...sadly, it's the conference my 'Noles play in. :down: )

Something flew under the radar this week. The ACC signed a new football/basketball TV contract with ESPN/ABC which will start before the 2011-12 football season. It is a 12 year contract which will pay them $1.86B over the 12 years. They basically doubled their current contract.

These are (reportedly) the values for the BCS Conferences current deals. The deals for the Pac-10 and Big XII are set to expire in a year.

Pac-10 current deal: $43 million annually.

ACC old deal: $67 million annually.

ACC new deal: $155 million annually (football and basketball).

Big 12 current deal: $73 million annually.

Big Ten current deal: $165 million annually (does not include BTN).

SEC current deal: $205 million annually.

The only reason the SEC will even consider expansion is if the Big Ten somehow gets Texas and Notre Dame to join their conference.

The conference is already making a ton of money. The SEC doesn't gain all that much by adding Georgia Tech or Florida State, and has little interest in expanding outside the southeaster region.

I really hope we don't go mega expansion. The Big Ten adds one and the Pac-10 adds two. That's it.

That's pretty much my theory as well. I know this would be better in that Reel-Line-Mint thread, but here me out...

In 2015, Notre Dame's contract with NBC expires and after 4 straight subpat seasons for the Irish, NBC decides not to renew the contract. This pretty much forces Notre Dame's hand and allows them to finally join the Big Ten, which retains it's name despite having 12 members (The Atlantic 10 also does this, but with 14 members). The division format goes like this:

East: Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue

West: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

The Big Ten also announces that it'll rotate the Big Ten Championship Game between Chicago's Soldier Field and Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium.

This means that four of the six BCS conferences now have 12 members. This leaves the Pac-10 and the Big East all by themselves, but they cannot resist the temptation of the money a conference championship game can bring. The Pac-10 makes it's move first. Of couse, any and all moves have to get past Stanford because of it's status as the education big fish in that pond. After some considertations, the Pac-10 decides to stay within it's Pacific Coast region and takes two California schools: Fresno State from the WAC and San Diego State from the Mountain West. The Pac-10's division format goes as follows:

North: California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State

South: Arizona, Arizona State, Fresno State, San Diego State, UCLA, USC

The Pac-10 announce that it'll host their championship game at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

The Big East is in the biggest pickle because of the options it has to grow to 12 teams. There are three scenarios that appear in my theory:

Scenario 1: Get four of the non-football schools to start programs (Providence, Seton Hall, Marquette, Depaul)

Scenario 2: Get Army and Navy, then ask both Villanova and Georgetown to make the move to FBS football

Scenario 3: Get Army and Navy, take Temple back from the MAC and then add either Eastern Carolina or Central Florida to join.

Scenario 1 is the least probable of the three, not the mention the most expensive because you're asking four schools to start a FBS football program, which takes 2-3 years and lots of money to pull off. This one probably won't happen.

Scenario 2 has the Big East adding Army and Navy as associate members for football only. Then, they would ask both Villanova and Georgetown, both current Big East members in other sports, to make the move to FBS football. Again, this takes time and money for this to happen, even more so with Georgetown since they are currently in the Patriot League for FCS football and the Patriot League doesn't give out scholarships in that sport. This one won't happen either.

Scenario 3 starts like Scenario 2, but they also add Temple as a third associate member. Then they look at Conference USA and think about either East Carolina or Central Florida. Considering they already have USF as a member, UCF joins the Big East and the conference splits into these divisions:

North: Army, UConn, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple

South: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Navy, South Florida, West Virginia

Now, as for the Non-BCS conferences:

-Mountain West stays at 8 schools

-MAC stays at 12 schools

-Conference USA adds Louisiana Tech from the WAC to replace Central Florida

-Sun Belt stays at 10 schools (Unless Arkanasas-Little Rock and Denver add football programs, but that isn't likely)

-WAC is in danger with 7 schools. They end up taking Sacramento State after they decide to move up after the school gets money to expand Hornet Stadium to reach FBS standards.

Again, this is all theory. None of this could happen or even all of it. Just take what I said with a grain of salt.

SeaDragon76 your theories would work if the Big 10 didn't Invite Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Notre Dame. Rutgers will not decline a bid to the big 10 to join Conference USA. I think it would be cool to have the big 10 title game in Green Bay. I also think too many things happen at the rose bowl, why not Qwest, University of Phoenix or Qualcomm stadium.

There is no school in the Cal State system which is even close to the academic standards which the Pac-10 demands. It does not help that CSU schools are the first ones which get funding cut from the state. Fresno just got off probation, which they were on/off for over a decade and have a very poor history with that as well as losing or settling on three sexual harassment/discrimination cases within the Ath. Dept. since 2005. Both Fresno State and SDSU's athletic budgets are too small to make that next step up. Geography is their only calling card.

The numbers which I did not place were the TV contract which the MWC has. Their current deal with CBSC and Versus lasts through the 2015-16. It is only for $10M/year. Versus and CBS College Sports show eight to 10 football games each per season. "The Mtn." shows 30. They combine for about 100 men?s basketball games and 20-24 women?s basketball games, mostly on "The Mtn.", which is only in 8 million households.

There is no school in the Cal State system which is even close to the academic standards which the Pac-10 demands.

None of this has anything to do with "academic standards." It has everything to do with exploiting fast kids for money.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

SeaDragon76 your theories would work if the Big 10 didn't Invite Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Notre Dame. Rutgers will not decline a bid to the big 10 to join Conference USA. I think it would be cool to have the big 10 title game in Green Bay. I also think too many things happen at the rose bowl, why not Qwest, University of Phoenix or Qualcomm stadium.

That has been denied by multiple parties, including the "invited" schools and the Big Ten.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is no school in the Cal State system which is even close to the academic standards which the Pac-10 demands.

None of this has anything to do with "academic standards." It has everything to do with exploiting fast kids for money.

They want the "right kind of kids" to exploit, so in some sense, it does. Even in football and basketball, schools recruit those who fit within their self-perceived academic standards.

You see, the admiral has the right idea. This whole notion of 'academic standards' is pretty much pointless and useless when going up against the idea of making more money.

Plus, in my theory, the Pac-10 would have the San Diego market all to itself. That's a large market out there that can be used to help launch a television network akin to the Big Ten Network. You have the biggest markets on the West Coast in the Pac-10 (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco-Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego). Why not go after San Diego State and take that market all for yourself?