Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Wait, do you not think that Buffalo can pull a UConn and outgrow the MAC? I do. Shouldn't Villanova's next step in football be to go to the MAC?

Since it seems that Swofford and his ACC cohorts couldn't go to the bathroom without raiding someone, Maryland weakens the ACC, strengthens the Big East. Shoot, go after Virginia as well. So you say Maryland has been in the ACC for 50+ years? What about Texas and Texas A&M being joined at the hip? Oklahoma/Nebraska? Kansas/Missouri? No one gives a crap about tradition and the past anymore. That's gone out the window.

The only way to stop the ACC from raiding is to raid them.

See to me the Big East is about the East. No doubt the Big East blew it by not inviting Penn State when it was forming. Seton Hall...Providence...Georgetown...St. Johns. That's the East. Football-wise, I was looking forward to BC-UConn every year. Miami and Va Tech? They were just visitors. West Va? Not so sure.

That's why I proposed what I did. Get back to your (mostly) Eastern roots. You don't think Maryland-Navy could develop into a nasty rivalry? I do. Buffalo-Army at the Bills Stadium? Temple-Rutgers? College football used to be about rivalries and the big-intersectional games. Let's form new rivalries based on geography.

Well it can all come down to one thing; why the hell would anybody leave a stable, yes stable, ACC to go to a conference that may not even exist in a year or two, and if it does survive, it will just end up being Conference USA with under a different name. If Maryland does leave the ACC, it would be for the Big Ten. Which is just one of the reason the ACC got Pitt and Syracuse, and potentially UConn and Rutgers. If they do in fact lose a few teams, they'll be set up to maintain at least 12-14 schools afterwards. That's just smart.

In all honesty, I think they've done the best job out of all the BCS conferences. True, the Pac-12, SEC and Big Ten are not going to lose anybody, and it was never even a possibility, but once it looked like they could lose FSU, Clemson and maybe Georgia Tech, they upped the buyout to $20m to make it at least a little bit harder for those schools to bail, and then added Pitt and Syracuse, which could entice those schools to stay, or at the very least, have some cushioning if they do depart.

In all honesty, I think they've done the best job out of all the BCS conferences. True, the Pac-12, SEC and Big Ten are not going to lose anybody, and it was never even a possibility, but once it looked like they could lose FSU, Clemson and maybe Georgia Tech, they upped the buyout to $20m to make it at least a little bit harder for those schools to bail, and then added Pitt and Syracuse, which could entice those schools to stay, or at the very least, have some cushioning if they do depart.

The ACC is stockpiling teams that are irrelevant in football. In football. Let's just get that out of the way, because Syracuse and Pitt are putting the ACC in place to be the premier basketball conference.

However, their strategy seems to be relying on safety in numbers, which is reactive instead of proactive. By bloating themselves to 14, 16 or 18 teams, they'll be marginally "safe" when schools defect to other conferences.

From a football (and thus, revenue) perspective, the ACC winds up with a net deficit. Bringing in Pitt or Syracuse makes little difference if you lose a school like Virginia Tech or Florida State. Yes, the ACC is staying afloat but I just don't see them making the "power broker" moves like A&M/SEC or Nebraska/BigTen.

If the BigTen and SEC go to 16 teams, the ACC could be in trouble. Even more so if the Big East remnant merges with the Big 12 (which appears likely, given West Virginia's move). The ACC is the new Big East - a basketball monstrosity with a few decent football schools. They'll keep their BCS bid, but with all the power moves happening elsewhere, they'll probably just keep sending the Hokies or Seminoles to the Orange Bowl and hope that every once in a blue moon they'll have a title-run team.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Wait, do you not think that Buffalo can pull a UConn and outgrow the MAC? I do. Shouldn't Villanova's next step in football be to go to the MAC?

Since it seems that Swofford and his ACC cohorts couldn't go to the bathroom without raiding someone, Maryland weakens the ACC, strengthens the Big East. Shoot, go after Virginia as well. So you say Maryland has been in the ACC for 50+ years? What about Texas and Texas A&M being joined at the hip? Oklahoma/Nebraska? Kansas/Missouri? No one gives a crap about tradition and the past anymore. That's gone out the window.

See to me the Big East is about the East. No doubt the Big East blew it by not inviting Penn State when it was forming. Seton Hall...Providence...Georgetown...St. Johns. That's the East. Football-wise, I was looking forward to BC-UConn every year. Miami and Va Tech? They were just visitors. West Va? Not so sure.

That's why I proposed what I did. Get back to your (mostly) Eastern roots. You don't think Maryland-Navy could develop into a nasty rivalry? I do. Buffalo-Army at the Bills Stadium? Temple-Rutgers? College football used to be about rivalries and the big-intersectional games. Let's form new rivalries based on geography.

Well it can all come down to one thing; why the hell would anybody leave a stable, yes stable, ACC to go to a conference that may not even exist in a year or two, and if it does survive, it will just end up being Conference USA with under a different name. If Maryland does leave the ACC, it would be for the Big Ten. Which is just one of the reason the ACC got Pitt and Syracuse, and potentially UConn and Rutgers. If they do in fact lose a few teams, they'll be set up to maintain at least 12-14 schools afterwards. That's just smart.

I'll say its a nice cushion, but I can't say that the ACC did the best job. The SEC basically did nothing, and landed 2 top 25 football programs in Texas A&M and Missouri. The SEC basically just sat back, let the bees come to the honey, and with little to no effort, expanded their footprint, the Conference, future TV deal, and superiority over the PAC and Big Ten in football. The ACC had to work to gain Pitt and Syracuse, who yes, have great basketball programs, but neither are football power houses... not even Pitt. The PAC didn't do too bad. They added a team with some tradition in Colorado and a team that had hype over the last 10 years in Utah. But Colorado and Utah are far from Texas A&M and Missouri. Lastly, the Big Ten added Nebraska, who, not only increases the footprint but brings in a ton of tradition in football.

In my opinion, the ACC tied for 3rd best out of all these conference, which is respectable when you consider the amount of moving and shaking that happened, was rumored to happen, and still may happen. In order:

1.) Southeast Conference

2.) The Big Ten Conference

3.) The PAC 12 Conference / The Atlantic Coast Conference

5.) The Big XII Conference

6.) The Big East Conference

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

In my opinion, the ACC tied for 3rd best out of all these conference, which is respectable when you consider the amount of moving and shaking that happened, was rumored to happen, and still may happen. In order:

1.) Southeast Conference

The Big 12 is easily tied with the Big 10 as the second strongest football conference now. OU, OSU, Texas, WVU, TCU have all been consistant Top 25 teams for the past 5 years.

1zqy8ok.gif

3. Add Temple (again). Temple moves down to Philly's soccer stadium. Smaller venue. Easier to fill.

PPL Park is 15 miles and 30 minutes away from the Philly sports complex. Students without cars aren't going to make that trip.

1.) Southeast Conference

The Big 12 is easily tied with the Big 10 as the second strongest football conference now. OU, OSU, Texas, WVU, TCU have all been consistant Top 25 teams for the past 5 years.

I was ranking them according to the strength of their realignment. I think the Big XII's loss of Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Missouri is far greater than their addition of Texas Christian and West Virginia.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

As has been already discussed here, the Big East is ready to start expanding.

AP Source: Big East to invite Boise St, 5 others

A person familiar with the decision says the Big East will invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force for football only and SMU, Houston and Central Florida for all sports.

Nothing really new, just an update.

Meanwhile, WVU is suing the Big East saying the Big East left them no choice but to leave the conference and they should be able to leave to be part of the Big XII by the 2012 school year.

As has been already discussed here, the Big East is ready to start expanding.

AP Source: Big East to invite Boise St, 5 others

A person familiar with the decision says the Big East will invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force for football only and SMU, Houston and Central Florida for all sports.

Nothing really new, just an update.

Meanwhile, WVU is suing the Big East saying the Big East left them no choice but to leave the conference and they should be able to leave to be part of the Big XII by the 2012 school year.

Of the 6 which accept? and which decline?

I could really see Boise State and Air Force declining.

I don't. Having AQ status until 2015 is better than not even sniffing AQ status in that ridiculous merger. Might as well take the Big East money now and move up to a better conference the second one comes calling.

What does the Big East currently have to offer that the Mountain West doesn't? Football is a "push", especially once the Big East loses their automatic BCS Bowl bid. Better basketball maybe? I'm not sold on Boise and Air Force wanting to travel cross-country just to get smashed on the hardwood. I could see them saying NO as well.

6uXNWAo.png

Wait, do you not think that Buffalo can pull a UConn and outgrow the MAC?

1 UConn never had a MAC stage

2 UConn is a land grant school in a state that isn't actively dying and has no pro presence, Buffalo is a SUNY branch school that is located in a dying rust belt city...that is devoted to its pro teams.

3 Buffalo is the poster school in Murray Sperber's screeds about what is wrong in college athletics for a reason, and its because even midmajor football isn't bringing the boon that was promised.

I do. Shouldn't Villanova's next step in football be to go to the MAC?

Their next step should probably be "build a stadium, any stadium."

Since it seems that Swofford and his ACC cohorts couldn't go to the bathroom without raiding someone, Maryland weakens the ACC, strengthens the Big East. Shoot, go after Virginia as well. So you say Maryland has been in the ACC for 50+ years?

You don't seem to understand the fundamental issues about why teams want to leave the Big East for other major conferences and conversely do not want to leave other major conferences for the Big East. It's more than tradition and inertia keeping them in place.

It's not that simple. The ACC promises its member schools stability, more money (possibly a lot more money) a modestly boosted research profile, and, oh yeah, DePaul and Seton Hall don't get to vote on matters exclusively impacting football.

Oh. You're one of THOSE guys.

That's why I proposed what I did. Get back to your (mostly) Eastern roots. You don't think Maryland-Navy could develop into a nasty rivalry? I do.

Problem: Maryland does not have football fans. And Navy's a Patriot League school for a reason.

Buffalo-Army at the Bills Stadium?

1. Army had a VERY bad experience doing that whole "Conference" thing back in the 90s.

2. They're on the opposite ends of the state dingbat.

Temple-Rutgers? College football used to be about rivalries and the big-intersectional games. Let's form new rivalries based on geography.

*Villanova vetoes membership*

/See why the football schools might have wanted to leave?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I could really see Boise State and Air Force declining.

I don't. Having AQ status until 2015 2013 is better than not even sniffing AQ status in that ridiculous merger. Might as well take the Big East money now and move up to a better conference the second one comes calling.

Fixed. That's renegotiation D-Day for the Big East. And there's not a whole lot of Big East money lying around thanks to a variety of factors.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Boise and Air Force are getting football-only invites. Problem solved.

You still have to find a place to stick everything else, since the Mountain West is going to kick them out.

/Air Force is rumored to be looking at the Missouri Valley Conference to park the rest of its athletics

//That is going to SUCK

Today, we are all otaku.

Both the WAC and the Big West have offered to take on BSU's other sports.

Good Lord, I don't think its possible to calculate the WAC's desperation at the moment for members.

Today, we are all otaku.

Fixed. That's renegotiation D-Day for the Big East.

There are no clearly published, transparent guidelines from the BCS for losing AQ status. It'll either be that the Big East keeps their AQ status with minimal fuss, or there will be a huge mess complete with threats of legal action.

I think it's a moot point anyway, because the BCS has already come out and said they need six AQ conferences to function, and if all those schools join, the Big East is clearly still at very least the sixth-best conference in America.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

never mind, already been mentioned.

Edited by thespleenenator
b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Fixed. That's renegotiation D-Day for the Big East.

There are no clearly published, transparent guidelines from the BCS for losing AQ status. It'll either be that the Big East keeps their AQ status with minimal fuss, or there will be a huge mess complete with threats of legal action.

No, there aren't any guidelines. However there is nothing in the contract that says they need to have six conferences and as the Big East does not have a contractual bowl tie-in, it would be relatively easy to drop them.

I think it's a moot point anyway, because the BCS has already come out and said they need six AQ conferences to function, and if all those schools join, the Big East is clearly still at very least the sixth-best conference in America.

The BCS needs TV money to function far more than it needs a set number of Conferences to function. If ESPN comes out and says, "we aren't paying you to give a slot to the best team in this random grouping of teams (none of which have sizable fanbases)", the BCS will fold.

Today, we are all otaku.