Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Where the hell are we getting these BC to Big Ten ideas from? That's like.. the 12th most attractive team in the ACC for the Big Ten at this point. I don't care about the BAWSTON MAJAH MAWHKET, New England cares way less about college football than the NYC and DC markets for goodness sakes. BC hasn't done anything in football besides 2007 in the ACC, hasn't done anything in basketball since coming to the ACC, and although has hockey, the New England market's so divided between a bunch of college hockey schools that your BTN gain isn't going to be as large as down in the other two markets. Not to mention the Big Ten, Notre Dame aside, would much rather raid the ACC of the large, public, land-grant schools before a private school. That means your UVA, UNC, GT, and whatnot would be far above the list over BC.

The BC-(maybe) Duke-Miami (now that they're gonna get nuked)-Syracuse-Wake Forest combo's kinda stuck in the ACC regardless through all of the remaining realignment due to their private school status, for better or for worse.

How in the heck did BC wanted to get in the BIG? Where did you hear them McD29?

The past page of mumbling

Mind you, this presupposes that a Notre Dame entry into the Conference would be on their terms, which is incredibly off base; any expansion is going to be completely on the Big Ten's terms.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Would UNC really split up with Duke?

If the choice is riding the ACC down to fiery destruction or grabbing a life raft but sacrificing a Conference rivalry with Duke...well Duke can always be a non-Conference game in basketball, especially post-K Duke.

If ND stayed indy for FB, would they go for Georgia Tech for #16 to get Atlanta?

"Half a League, Half a League, Half a League Onward. Into the Valley of Death, rode the 600"

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As long as the ACC exists, Notre Dame will be part of their bowl line up.

"Starting in 2014, here's the options," Notre Dame spokesman John Heisler said. "We can be in the playoff. We can be in Orange Bowl in a year that we're the next best team amongst us, the Big Ten and the SEC. We can be in another at-large game, an 'access bowl' as they're going to call them, I guess. And then we still have the full ACC package."

"This just means for a couple times, you're going to be pointed toward the Orange Bowl, if you're good enough to fit the criteria," Heisler said. "And if you're not good enough to make the cut there, that's why the ACC arrangement was a great benefit for us, because it gives you additional optons no matter what your record is."

"Starting in 2014, here's the options," Notre Dame spokesman John Heisler said. "We can be in the playoff. We can be in Orange Bowl in a year that we're the next best team amongst us, the Big Ten and the SEC. We can be in another at-large game, an 'access bowl' as they're going to call them, I guess. And then we still have the full ACC package."

"This just means for a couple times, you're going to be pointed toward the Orange Bowl, if you're good enough to fit the criteria," Heisler said. "And if you're not good enough to make the cut there, that's why the ACC arrangement was a great benefit for us, because it gives you additional optons no matter what your record is."

The following is a list of ACC Bowl tie-ins:

Peach Bowl

Russell Athletic/Champs Sports Bowl

Sun Bowl

Belk/That Game In Charlotte Bowl

Music City Bowl

Independence/WeedEater Bowl

Military Bowl

Quite the lineup of fail/safes there folks.

Today, we are all otaku.

The following is a list of ACC Bowl tie-ins:

Peach Bowl

Russell Athletic/Champs Sports Bowl

Sun Bowl

Belk/That Game In Charlotte Bowl

Music City Bowl

Independence/WeedEater Bowl

Military Bowl

Quite the lineup of fail/safes there folks.

Bolded are the bowls I would go to in a heartbeat, including the Orange Bowl. You know the ACC saying, "5 out of 8 aint bad!"

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

While I was in school, I worked in the FSU sports dept as an Athletic Tudor

yahtzee

That sums up so much. Jeff Lageman said when he played for the Jags, Coughlin would make the D write an essay on the offense they were about to face. He said there was a guy he had to write for because he couldn't read. Played for a University for four years and still couldn't read.

I know it's just a blog, but there is an interesting analysis of the ACC's members and how they're likely to play this situation here:

http://fromoldvirgin...rmy-waters.html

I can't say I disagree with his analysis, in general.

There is a lot to be disagreed with when it comes to his analysis. He makes some decent points, nothing new or profound though. His default answer is either BIG 10 or SEC. My only issue is that he completely disregaurds the possibility of an Eastern/Atlantic Coast conference surviving. It is very possibly that the ACC and Big East can work together and form a super conference.

I think an east coast conference could not just survive, but even do somewhat decent. If they can keep Viriginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and Cincinatti... Along with lesser schools like a UConn, NC State, or UCF/USF... If they can convince Notre Dame to become a full member... then they have a respectable, 14-16 school football conference. By no means would they be a power house, they would still likely be 4th or 5th on the list behind the BIG 10, SEC, and PAC... and possibly the Big XII, but they would have a large foot print and good competition. Not to mention, they would still be the premere basketball conference, especially if they can retain basketball schools like Marquette, Vilanova, St. John's, and Georgetown.

If the ACC/Big East can work together for the mutual gain, they could end up leaving the Big XII on the outside looking in (instead of the other way around, as it currently appears).

Besides... with the BIG 10 going to 14 in 2 years, and the much criticized new logo, curious to see how the G in B1G start to look more and more like a 6 instead of a 0?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I know it's just a blog, but there is an interesting analysis of the ACC's members and how they're likely to play this situation here:

There is a lot to be disagreed with when it comes to his analysis. He makes some decent points, nothing new or profound though. His default answer is either BIG 10 or SEC. My only issue is that he completely disregaurds the possibility of an Eastern/Atlantic Coast conference surviving. It is very possibly that the ACC and Big East can work together and form a super conference.

Well, I think you missed his point. He was coming from the perspective of which schools are going to be the lynchpins in keeping the ACC together, and looking at what their other options are.

I think the idea of a ACC/Big East "super conference" just plain nutty. Sure it'd have some excellent basketball, but if the football side still trails the other super conferences, you're going to have schools like FSU, VT and NC State looking for a better deal and you're right back where you started. Because at the end of the day, the revenue that comes from football is what this is all about. Also, the whole "conference of convenience" thing hasn't exactly worked out for the Big East - in fact, it's been an unmitigated disaster. Why should a ACC/Big East merger be any different?

I'm hoping that the ACC survives. Honestly, as a UVA fan, I am. But here's the thing...if VT and NCSU get serious invites from the SEC and UVA and, say, UNC get the chance to jump to the Big Ten... the writing is going to be on the wall. At that point, every school in the ACC is going to be looking for a lifeboat to escape the sinking ship.

I just don't see UNC getting an invite from the BIG 10. I don't think that is in their plans. I think its fairly obvious, they have a road map layed out. I think Mizzouri going to the SEC put a little bit of a kink in their plans. I think they intended to have Nebraska join as #12 in Phase 1 of the BIG 10 expansion, I think they had Phase 2 pretty much go according to plan with Maryland and Rutgers. I think Phase 3... the final phase... was to invite Missouri as #15, and hopefully by that time, the Big XII, Big East, and ACC were all either collapsed or on the verge of total collapse, and convice Notre Dame to be the 16th team. I don't think this is the exact route they would have wanted to take with Notre Dame, but when ND already comes out and said that they are concerened about the staying power of the ACC, I think the BIG 10 is feeling more confident about eventually getting ND.

To be honest, I don't think Mizzouri is completely out of the question for the BIG 10. It sounds crazy and I know Mizzou is very happy being in the SEC, but I think they would still prefer the BIG 10. I think they would like to be back in the same conference as Nebraska, and I think they like that the BIG 10 is a 2 sport conference. I also think they know they can compete in the BIG 10 better than the SEC. Not only that, the BTN is a success year 'round... not just during football season. Something that the SEC is going to have trouble competing with.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think an east coast conference could not just survive, but even do somewhat decent. If they can keep Viriginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and Cincinatti... Along with lesser schools like a UConn, NC State, or UCF/USF... If they can convince Notre Dame to become a full member... then they have a respectable, 14-16 school football conference. By no means would they be a power house, they would still likely be 4th or 5th on the list behind the BIG 10, SEC, and PAC... and possibly the Big XII, but they would have a large foot print and good competition. Not to mention, they would still be the premere basketball conference, especially if they can retain basketball schools like Marquette, Vilanova, St. John's, and Georgetown.

If the ACC/Big East can work together for the mutual gain, they could end up leaving the Big XII on the outside looking in (instead of the other way around, as it currently appears).

Besides... with the BIG 10 going to 14 in 2 years, and the much criticized new logo, curious to see how the G in B1G start to look more and more like a 6 instead of a 0?

If you ask me, it already looks more like a 6 than a 0.