Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Tulane to the Big East. ECU for football only.

ECU isn't a bad addition at all; Tulane on the other hand is WTF

2478839-facepalm06.jpg

Louisville Needs to leave the Big East for the Big XII or the ACC.

I've heard some rumblings that an announcement about ACC expansion during the Football Championship this weekend. Stay tuned.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Tulane is a much better addition for the Big East! They bring the New Orleans market!! East Carolina brings Greenville. Tulane has a reputation as a great university. East Carolina and Tulane to the Big East is equivalent to the Big Ten bringing in Boise State as opposed to say, UNC. UNC (Tulane) brings a market and a solid university to the conference as opposed to Boise State (ECU) brings a football program that has been good in the past 10 years, better than UNC (Tulane) and a non-existent market.

Also, Tulane was a member of both the Metro Conference and Conference USA. Other current Big East schools with that description? Cincinnati, Memphis, USF and Louisville. The last of which is vital to the Big Conference USA's existence.

OK. I'm ready to hear it...

This is what the Big East is trying to sell networks on:

...football membership will now be in 12 states, 12 of the top 50 Nielsen media markets and six of the top 25 media markets. The conference will have a television households reach of 24.3 million — by far the largest number in college football.

Sadly, each of those markets have a population which does not attend those games or is a fan of the home town team. There is a larger state university which is preferred at a much larger rate.

#4- Philadelphia--Penn State

#5-Dallas/SMU--> Texas, aTm, TxTech have larger local alumni bases

#9- D.C.--> Hoops only. Navy is known nationally, but not that nice a pick up.

#10-Houston (if still a member)--see Dallas

#13-Tampa/USF: Both Florida and Florida State

#20-Orlando/UCF--> See Tampa

#34-Cincinnati--> Ohio State

#48:Memphis--> University of Tennessee

#50-Louisville: Not a football state

#53-New Orleans/Tulane-->LSU

San Diego (if still a member)--> USC territory

They consulted with former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue two years ago and while he blasted the Big Ten, Big East leadership did not pick up on part of what he had to say,

“One of the real challenges for the networks is to provide value, but you only provide value in markets where you provide traction,” he said. “Is Minnesota and Rutgers going to get a big rating on Long Island? Give me a break. Every game isn’t Michigan and Michigan State. Am I going to rush home from a tennis game on Saturday to watch Minnesota and Rutgers if I live on Long Island?”

As for what he would do for the Big East, Tagliabue stressed the league needed to anticipate media trends to stay ahead of the curve in order to maximize revenue.

“I think they really needed to step up from the specifics of the current situation and look at the big-picture on a long-term basis. It’s something I spent about 40 years doing, 20 as lawyer and 20 as commissioner.”

...football membership will now be in 12 states, 12 of the top 50 Nielsen media markets and six of the top 25 media markets. The conference will have a television households reach of 24.3 million — by far the largest number in college football.

Sadly, each of those markets have a population which does not attend those games or is a fan of the home town team. There is a larger state university which is preferred at a much larger rate.

I see what your saying, but, the Big East isn't trying to be a Super Conference. They know they can't beat the SEC or Big Ten in ratings but they can be the runners up. The Big East wants to a) survive B) make sure that they will be the best mid-major conference once super conferences arrive.

Also, Big East schools are second or third in most of these markets. That's good enough!

http://www.azcentral...conference.html

It's official, Grand Canyon University to the WAC for all sports beginning next year.

Trading one form or moral failure for another I see....(Grand Canyon's a for-profit; their total graduation rate is 38%)

I see what your saying, but, the Big East isn't trying to be a Super Conference. They know they can't beat the SEC or Big Ten in ratings but they can be the runners up. The Big East wants to a) survive B) make sure that they will be the best mid-major conference once super conferences arrive.

Also, Big East schools are second or third in most of these markets. That's good enough!

Don't you mean 4th or 5th? Remember, most of these cities have pro teams too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Big East currently is:

a melange of football playing commuter schools who do not draw fans in the stands and less on TV + East coast Catholic basketball playing schools.

The expiring Big East TV contract gives football playing schools $3.18M/year. That is sure to increase, but the next lowest "major conference", the ACC is now at $17.1M/school. Meanwhile, they rejected $11M/year in 2010. They may not even get that now. One can only divide up fees from teams who never play there yet leave only so often.

Andy Katz on SportsCenter just said ACC is likely to vote for Louisville on Wednesday to replace Maryland over Cincinnati or UConn. Also he said UNC and UVA don't want to be the teams that "destroy the ACC".

I have two thoughts...

-Why wouldn't the ACC just take all three right now? Katz said they have nowhere to go, but I wouldn't trust the Big 10 not to want UCONN since they want TV markets and Cincy would fill in a gap for the Big 12 if they changed their mind on expansion.

-I think this might then settle down for awhile with the major conferences until the BI6 makes its next move or the Pac-12 goes after the Texas four (UT, Tech, OU, OSU).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Will the big 12 grab Houston like they did tcu from the huge east/America??! It would be only to reestablish south Texas and keep up with super conferencing

I highly doubt it. As with most of college sports realignment, it has to do with TV dollars. The big conferences are adding schools that will increase a conference footprint and/or increase tv viewership. By adding UH, the Big 12 would have an additional school to split their revenue with while UH doesn't deliver a market that the Big 12 does not already cover. By adding TCU, you could say the Big 12 did just that. However, the Big 12 initially wanted nothing to do with TCU which is why they were set to go to the Big East. Once the Big 12 was on the verge of becoming an 8 member conference, their TV contracts could have been voided and negotiated at lower rates with their tv network carriers. The Big 12 had to add 2 schools to keep membership at 10 to keep their TV money. The Big 12's hope is for the ACC to further implode so that they can go after FSU and Clemson and pick up 4 more schools to be the 4th super conference. But until then, the Big 12 isnt in position to add anyone as their tv deal is one of the weaker ones of the "power conference."

Will the big 12 grab Houston like they did tcu from the huge east/America??! It would be only to reestablish south Texas and keep up with super conferencing

Only if they suffer more defections. Another thought, why isn't the ACC going after West Virginia. Is WV locked in some kind of contract?

Only if they suffer more defections. Another thought, why isn't the ACC going after West Virginia. Is WV locked in some kind of contract?

The ACC rejected WVU after the SEC did.

1zqy8ok.gif

Yeah but I think things have changed. I think the ACC would be a lot more receptive to adding them now since they lost Maryland and the loss of Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State are all very real possibilities. If the ACC could grab Louisville to replace Maryland and then extend an invite to Cincinatti, they could make a move back at West Virginia say hey, we are the first real super conference (at least by Quantity). Even if we lose 1 or 2 members, we'll still have more or equal members than the rest of the conferences.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Yeah but I think things have changed. I think the ACC would be a lot more receptive to adding them now since they lost Maryland and the loss of Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State are all very real possibilities. If the ACC could grab Louisville to replace Maryland and then extend an invite to Cincinatti, they could make a move back at West Virginia say hey, we are the first real super conference. Even if we lose 1 or 2 members, we'll still have more or equal members than the rest of the conferences.

Morgantown is a very small TV market. Even if you expand WVU's "market" to the entire state of WV and part of southeast PA (a generous assumption), you're not picking up that many TV households. And we know that the $ that comes from those is what this whole realignment situation is all about. Louisville, Cincinnati or UConn would all be better choices.

We hear that with every round of expansion the last 2 years. These conferences come out and say they aren't going to expand or extend any invites, then sure enough, invtes are sent out. These Universities say they are committed to their current conference until the one of these bigger conferences with bigger TV deals extends an invite, and then we hear "well, it was in the best interest of not just out money making sports, but for our entire athletic department - which funds the non-revenue generating sports - and ultimately best for our university, as a whole."

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Yeah but I think things have changed. I think the ACC would be a lot more receptive to adding them now since they lost Maryland and the loss of Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State are all very real possibilities. If the ACC could grab Louisville to replace Maryland and then extend an invite to Cincinatti, they could make a move back at West Virginia say hey, we are the first real super conference (at least by Quantity). Even if we lose 1 or 2 members, we'll still have more or equal members than the rest of the conferences.

WVU will not move. Look up "Big XII grant of rights", then leave it alone.

Ok then...I know the MAC is not great but has the big 12 kind of set themselves up for an eastern expansion with such a gap between West Virginia and the rest of the members? I understand the money and trying to wait till the end but for a conference that was almost dismantled a few years back I would think they should be leading the pack in adding schools that will bring money and expand the states the conference is in. I sure do miss the days where conferences were somewhat regional not spread from nearly sea to shining sea. And as for the expansion the playoff didn't help anything once it basically came out that the big 5 will still get "automatic bids" and then the best of the rest would get theirs. The smaller market schools will do anything to get into a super conference and the conferences will add any school that widens its footprint...it's madness and what we are going to end up with is the big 5 having 16 teams each as well as the big east at 16 an then you just need a couple more conferences to keep the other 24-? Super small schools entertained. So basically all 6 super conferences at that time will play each other every year

The Big East is just sad. Additions like Memphis and Tulane get you into major markets, sure, but they're major markets where nobody cares about those school's athletic programs (except Memphis basketball I guess), and especially not their football programs. And I don't think Memphis and Tulane are suddenly going to start boosting their attendance numbers when they're playing a C-USA 2.0 schedule anyway.

I know it's all about those TV dollars, but is the Big East's new deal going to be worth that much now that they're just a mid-major and no longer have Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, and West Virginia?