Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

A $26-8MM move isn't that stupid when you're chances to get into the CFP increase by 10%.

I'm not sure its a 10% bump when you factor in the history of upsets in that game...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What's really stupid is the divisional setup is supposed to preclude the championship game being a repeat of a regular season finale, except that an odd number of teams in each division dictates that at least one regular season finale will be a cross-division game.  (Granted the solution is to make one of the teams in said game Kansas, but that's only a short term fix).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, dfwabel said:

So much for the raid of two ACC schools for B1G.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-will-launch-acc-network-by-2019-extends-acc-rights-through-2036.html

Poor @Bluevodreal

Scrambling to make Texas and OU as B1G immediate move.

Big12 to expand by 2 or probably 4 teams.  I'll put chips on UConn, Cincinnati, USF, & UCF.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

22 hours ago, dfwabel said:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-will-launch-acc-network-by-2019-extends-acc-rights-through-2036.html

Poor @Bluevodreal

If a school wanted out, I don't see how the ACC could enforce this. Especially with public universities. They wouldn't sign away their rights without some sort of out clause. Every contract has some sort of out for both parties. To not would be utterly foolish and could be argued it wasn't negotiated in good faith by both sides.

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

If a school wanted out, I don't see how the ACC could enforce this. Especially with public universities. They wouldn't sign away their rights without some sort of out clause. Every contract has some sort of out for both parties. To not would be utterly foolish and could be argued it wasn't negotiated in good faith by both sides.

Oh sure you could leave, but the ACC survivors would get their pound of flesh first.  Said pound of flesh might work as quite the deterrent against leaving.(and indeed incentivize staying because if somebody does leave you are getting PAID)

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 7/18/2016 at 8:57 PM, dfwabel said:

Poor @Bluevodreal

If Texas politics can be separated from Texas football, I'd welcome the Sooners and Horns into the Big Ten immediately.  I think Nebraska's main beef (and probably Colorado, Mizzou and A&M) is that the old guard of the Big XII wanted schools to swear fiefdom to the conference, yet they still allowed Texas to pursue their own network.  The Longhorn Network is honestly a dismal failure, especially now that both the Big Ten and SEC Networks are set to rake in billions annually.  The Pac-12 Network is lagging a bit behind, but with another wave of expansion I'd expect that - and the ACC Network - to catch up quickly.

The powers in Austin seem hellbent on charting their own destiny, but it's quickly leaving them behind.  Yes, they keep the lion's share of profits from their own, personal network, which estimates peg at somewhere between $12-15m annually.  Compare that with the $21.5m that Big Ten schools receive.  Yes, Indiana makes more TV football money than Texas.  Let that sink in for a minute.  And remember, that deal is only for HALF of the Big Ten's games.  We're not even counting the other half of games that get scooped up by ESPN, ABC or other networks to the tune of $13m per school.  At the end of the day, teams could be on track for a $50m payday by 2018 and the SEC is within a whisper of that figure as well.

The big question here is whether Texas independence is worth tens of millions annually.  History is a bit ironic as 2016 college football seems to mirror Texas' own fierce independent streak.  The ten gallon hats would have you believe Texas' experiment was a shining, stand-alone democracy, but the textbooks reveal that the country was bankrupt, lawless and starving when the Unites States agreed to annexation and statehood.  Only time will tell if the Longhorns follow suit and join the rest of the nation or if they cling to their lifeboat while the rest sail on.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So when expansion is official, assuming Cincinnati and the Florida tandem are included, how would division go?

Safe to say the Texas 4 remain together...would they add the Oklahoma schools and a 7th team or would Longhorns and Sooners be in separate divisions?  I would also keep together the Floridas and WVU and Cincy.

6 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

So when expansion is official, assuming Cincinnati and the Florida tandem are included, how would division go?

Safe to say the Texas 4 remain together...would they add the Oklahoma schools and a 7th team or would Longhorns and Sooners be in separate divisions?  I would also keep together the Floridas and WVU and Cincy.

I don't think either Florida school would be getting the nod to be honest.

Today, we are all otaku.

23 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

If they go with Cinci and UC/SF it'll be along with BYU.

I could see:

West

Baylor

BYU

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU

East

Cincinnati

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

UCF

USF

West Virginia

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Houston is also getting a lot of traction (surprisingly), so what you have on paper could swap BYU and Houston.  I was skeptical about having Texas and Oklahoma in the same division, but the Big Ten does it with Michigan and Ohio State.  If they were separate divisions, you'd have to have protected rivalries.

With that I'd go with a 9 game conference schedule (6 in division, 3 out of division with no protected crossover rivalries).

Here's the 4 I'm thinking:

cincy- (location to WV and all major sports are good and to market)

memphis- (fed-ex $$$$ for sponsoring and they said they would not want full share of tv money till the new deal, so other schools would not half to share as much)

BYU- ( big following for sports and get the big 12 in the mtn time zone)

houston- (big market and rushing AD program)

FSU-Miami was also about having an annual game and potentially having a rematch in the ACCCG ... you know, if Miami ever gets their :censored: together.

FMFFM

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 7/18/2016 at 11:47 PM, dfwabel said:

A broadcast ACC Network is closer to happening as a digital network will launch this fall.

And how this ties into conference realignment....

Each of the schools in the ACC (and I believe Notre Dame, too) have media rights contracts with the conference through 2036.  Meaning that, even if a school goes to another conference, their revenue from whatever avenue of media goes to the ACC every year until 2036.  Quite the poison pill if any conference is still wanting to poach an ACC school.

John Swofford was on the cusp of losing his job a couple years ago.  Quite the home run he hit with this deal.

Not to mention if Notre Dame was to relinquish their football independent status any time in the next 20 years, they have to go to the ACC. That deal looks better and better each day.

Man, 5 years ago, this conference was pretty much left for dead. Now it's in a position to thrive. Quite the turnaround.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

30 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Not to mention if Notre Dame was to relinquish their football independent status any time in the next 20 years, they have to go to the ACC. That deal looks better and better each day.

Man, 5 years ago, this conference was pretty much left for dead. Now it's in a position to thrive. Quite the turnaround.

It's not even five years ago. It's really just two years ago since that's when they settled the Maryland exit fee court cases for $31M, as opposed to the contractually obligated $52M.

But their upcoming issue is twofold. How many subscribers can they realistically expect come 2019 and how much will ESPN load up basketball on the channel to force the conference's three eastern states (NY, PA, MA) to add the channel on the basic tier.

Clay made some good points, but forgot about the importance of hoops for the northeast members.

I guess that Syracuse's new AD was a long time ESPN VP is helpful, but he is new to fundraising and has to pay for Carrier Dome renovation and that new roof.