Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Cant link anything so take it for what it's worth. Word around Tallahassee is that the SEC is taking their time but FSU is a done deal. West Virginia is also likely.

Can't link anything? That's a stretch then... especially with everything we have heard about the ACC upping their buyout fee. Everything that is showing up on Google results is from August of 2011... some as early as November of 2010. I wouldn't say this is a done deal. It looks like more hear-say.

If this is true, I'm assuming they are taking Mizzou as the 16th member if Florida State is done and West Virginia is likely?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Cant link anything so take it for what it's worth. Word around Tallahassee is that the SEC is taking their time but FSU is a done deal. West Virginia is also likely.

Can't link anything? That's a stretch then... especially with everything we have heard about the ACC upping their buyout fee. Everything that is showing up on Google results is from August of 2011... some as early as November of 2010. I wouldn't say this is a done deal. It looks like more hear-say.

If this is true, I'm assuming they are taking Mizzou as the 16th member if Florida State is done and West Virginia is likely?

Remember. The ACC buyout hike was cut from $34 million to $20 million at the insistence of Florida State (and Maryland)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Remember. The ACC buyout hike was cut from $34 million to $20 million at the insistence of Florida State (and Maryland)

Oh Oh. I thought the buyout fee was RAISED from $20 million to $34 million. I didn't realize is was actually decreased. I guess this rumor could have some weight. It was rumored before that the Big 10 is enthralled with getting into the Baltimore and Washington DC markets.

All of these rumors are so great and its so much fun, but its hard for me to get excited about it because for every 1 rumor that actually comes to fruition, there are 25 rumors, quoting some sort of source, that never materializes.

There is really an interesting dynamic at play here. I think all these conferences are getting their ducks in a row, in the case that there is some sort of landslide realignment coming. But it seems like no conference wants to be the first one to really cause the seismic shift. I mean, think about it... The Big 10 brought in Nebraska, while Rutgers and Mizzou were dying to get in to the Big 10 as well. The SEC is bringing in Texas A&M when Clemson and West Virginia would love to join. The Pac 12 just brought in second or third tier schools with Colorado and Houston... when more recently, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech where interested in joining the Pac 12.

I honestly thing that no conference wants to be left out in the cold when realignment really jumps off... but no conference wants to be the one responsible for changing the college landscape.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Oh Oh. I thought the buyout fee was RAISED from $20 million to $34 million. I didn't realize is was actually decreased. I guess this rumor could have some weight. It was rumored before that the Big 10 is enthralled with getting into the Baltimore and Washington DC markets.

All of these rumors are so great and its so much fun, but its hard for me to get excited about it because for every 1 rumor that actually comes to fruition, there are 25 rumors, quoting some sort of source, that never materializes.

There is really an interesting dynamic at play here. I think all these conferences are getting their ducks in a row, in the case that there is some sort of landslide realignment coming. But it seems like no conference wants to be the first one to really cause the seismic shift. I mean, think about it... The Big 10 brought in Nebraska, while Rutgers and Mizzou were dying to get in to the Big 10 as well. The SEC is bringing in Texas A&M when Clemson and West Virginia would love to join. The Pac 12 just brought in second or third tier schools with Colorado and Houston... when more recently, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech where interested in joining the Pac 12.

I honestly thing that no conference wants to be left out in the cold when realignment really jumps off... but no conference wants to be the one responsible for changing the college landscape.

:blink: Well this is news to me.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

When did the Pac12 bring in Houston? :huh:

When did the Pac12 bring in Houston? :huh:

Bleh. I meant Utah. I mix those up, regularly.

Highly doubtful on both counts. The SEC's expansion is being driven primarily by the potential television revenue to be generated by an SEC Network. FSU would be a redundant add and would also be met with great resistance by UF. WVU has already been turned down by the SEC and that's largely due to the lack of sizeable television markets compared to the Kansas City and St. Louis screens that Mizzou would bring to the conference.

Reading between the lines of all the statements coming from Mike Slive and his cohorts, it appears that expansion wasn't high on the list of SEC priorities, however Texas A&M's addition brings in a state with a population of 25 million, which is roughly half of the combined population of the existing SEC footprint. That greatly increases the value of a potential television deal.

From an alignment standpoint, an odd number creates inconvenience, albeit not an insurmountable obstacle. Therefore, if the SEC decides to move to an even number of schools, they're going to look to add to their roster of potential TV viewers. Missouri adds 6 million to the population base; West Virginia - 2 million; Florida - zero since UF is already in the picture.

So, if (and I do think it's still an if at this point) the SEC goes to 14, I think Missouri has the inside track (but they could still squander their opportunity; as a Mizzou alum and decades-long follower, I can foresee a number of ways they gag this one away). Plus, the litigation threat from the Big XII has already gone away. Taking a second school from that conference (whose interim commissioner has already indicated is viable without Mizzou) does not revive that threat. It's an easy add for the SEC if they want to add. If they're looking for a bigger add that comes with risks, then they probably go with Virginia Tech (which brings a state population of 8 million) or NC state (which brings a population of nearly 10 million).

I just don't see FSU or WVU as impending SEC expansion schools. But this is big time college athletics in the 21st Century, so nothing would be entirely surprising to me.

Bringing in Texas A&M to the SEC is much like Nebraska's move to the Big 10... it was just a perfect fit as far as footprint, geographic, competitiveness, market, and large fan base. However, unlike Nebraska they ARE the odd-numbered school. I think it is naive to think that the SEC is going to remain at 13. With the money just sitting out there, I don't see it happening.

I forget who brought up the point, by Maryland and Florida State were the front runners to reduce the ACC buyout fee. Both schools have been tied to larger, better conferences. I think when it comes to conference realignment, one school - in this case, Florida - has less of a say so than in the past. Again, none of these conferences want to be left in the cold. So if 10 or 11 SEC schools say yes, bring in Florida State, bring their 2 National Titles, bring their 2 Heisman Winners, bring there 33 All-Americans, bring their National fan base... even if it pisses off 1 or 2 schools.

Maryland really intrigues me. I think if the Big 10 comes knocking, they're as good as gone. I am just interested to see Maryland feels any of the Oregon-effect... crazy new uniforms to attract players that otherwise wouldn't become a Terrapin. By no means do I think Maryland can become what Oregon is, a top 10 team regularly, but could Maryland become a top 25 team in football? Could it cause a resurgence in their basketball program?

There are so many angles to think about... I love it.

But FSU brings in TV ratings. FSU football is like a TV market. Everyone forgets that. Programs like Maryland brings in a city. FSU is a city. All in the market since, of course. FSU is a good prize. FSU vs LSU, Bama, UGA, Auburn, ETC, is ratings gold. Everyone on here is under estimating that. Plus, FSU is pissed that the ACC had basketball in mind when they expanded. Missouri, A&M and WV is plenty for "market expansion".

Florida's still a big player in the SEC and as long as they say no, FSU isn't coming into the SEC. While Florida State bring in the Tallahasee market, it's a lot different than bringing in Missouri because then you're expanding into the midwest.

Look at LeBron James. Ohio kid, born and raised. While in Cleveland he did do a lot with tOSU. However, he will tell you his favorite team is FSU.

That's the key that people are forgetting. Florida State brings in a National following. It's not just like Mizzou who brings in a state and hopefully 2 major cities (I'm not talking about alumni spread across the country, I'm talking about College Football and College Basketball fans across the U.S.). Florida State brings in a National following. That impact can never be over estimated.

So, the SEC should add FSU based on the fact that LeBron liked them growing up? I fail to see how that has anything to do with the benefits for the SEC adding FSU. By adding Florida State, you're not going to add the Ohio TV Market based on the fact there's not a demand for Florida State, no matter if you have a few fans here and there. By adding Missouri, you're adding St. Louis which will bring in a lot more revenue than adding FSU.

So, the SEC should add FSU based on the fact that LeBron liked them growing up? I fail to see how that has anything to do with the benefits for the SEC adding FSU. By adding Florida State, you're not going to add the Ohio TV Market based on the fact there's not a demand for Florida State, no matter if you have a few fans here and there. By adding Missouri, you're adding St. Louis which will bring in a lot more revenue than adding FSU.

No, I'm saying FSU is it's own city. FSU vs Bama is ratings gold no matter where you live. People are making too much of city markets. People watch FSU.

Almost all SEC games are nationally televised. Making too much of markets. You should look for at least one national market of the four you bring in. It's 2012. Which one of these nationally televised games do you think would receive higher ratings? Bama vs Mizzou, Bama vs A&M, or Bama vs FSU? So my point is FSU is a national market rather than a mere city market.

Sorry, I misread what you were trying to say, I understand what you mean now. I understand that by adding Florida St., you're going to get more viewers for a FSU-Alabama game than you would Mizzou-Alabama. But, I think, and this is my opinion, you're adding a bigger footprint recruiting wise. by adding Mizzou into the SEC because then you expand into the midwest. Besides the fact, you will not get any objection, atleast not as big as you're going to get with Florida concerning Florida State, by adding Mizzou.

Sorry, I misread what you were trying to say, I understand what you mean now. I understand that by adding Florida St., you're going to get more viewers for a FSU-Alabama game than you would Mizzou-Alabama. But, I think, and this is my opinion, you're adding a bigger footprint recruiting wise. by adding Mizzou into the SEC because then you expand into the midwest. Besides the fact, you will not get any objection, atleast not as big as you're going to get with Florida concerning Florida State, by adding Mizzou.

Don't most major schools recruit nationally, anyways? Hell, FSU goes international now. FSU has over 12 states and 2 countries on their roster. Again, who cares about regions when every game is nationally televised. Also, no major program stays in their state. Maybe more from it's state but half that roster is spread out nationally. You focus on regions when national programs are spoken for. FSU is pissed at the ACC. really, the best national program option.

Hopefully for Florida State's sake if they really do want to come into the SEC that all that's a hard enough sell to convince Florida to let them in.

I think that is the only hurdle. However, I don't think it is as high as people think. Still there, though.