Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

But FSU brings in TV ratings. FSU football is like a TV market. Everyone forgets that. Programs like Maryland brings in a city. FSU is a city. All in the market since, of course. FSU is a good prize. FSU vs LSU, Bama, UGA, Auburn, ETC, is ratings gold. Everyone on here is under estimating that. Plus, FSU is pissed that the ACC had basketball in mind when they expanded. Missouri, A&M and WV is plenty for "market expansion".

As others have stated, this is more about households than ratings, per se. aTm and Mizzou would add 11 million more households into the league and the SEC wants to have a larger TV contract that the Pac-12 just signed. More households will allow for networks to get more ad revenue as there is a larger TV footprint for live SEC events or even have a larger footprint in the event Slive starts a network similar to BTN.

Look at LeBron James. Ohio kid, born and raised. While in Cleveland he did do a lot with tOSU. However, he will tell you his favorite team is FSU.

LeBron is a "frontrunner" in his fandom. Yankees, Cowboys...whoever was winning when he was growing up or who he saw covered on TV the most.

But FSU brings in TV ratings. FSU football is like a TV market. Everyone forgets that. Programs like Maryland brings in a city. FSU is a city. All in the market since, of course. FSU is a good prize. FSU vs LSU, Bama, UGA, Auburn, ETC, is ratings gold. Everyone on here is under estimating that. Plus, FSU is pissed that the ACC had basketball in mind when they expanded. Missouri, A&M and WV is plenty for "market expansion".

The SEC gains nothing but another national name. You may see FSU as a little city all itself but the fact remains the SEC has the Tallahassee market already so FSU doesn't bring them that.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

FSU adds households, too. You think because I live in Florida I watch the Gators? Well, I dont. Like I said, You will get new regions with three of the new teams. Use your 4th to get a national presence. Do you disagree with that? FSU adds households.

BTW, Thats my point with LeBron. FSU can do that.

The SEC gains nothing but another national name. You may see FSU as a little city all itself but the fact remains the SEC has the Tallahassee market already so FSU doesn't bring them that.

My opinion is you are wrong with that thinking. Every SEC game is nationally televised. They dont care to be in a region in hopes their game will be televised. California will see just as many SEC games as Alabama. So are you talking about local ratings? I live in Florida. I do not make it a point to watch the Gators. Most FSU fans share my thinking. Same with UF fans. They don't watch FSU just because they live in Florida. If they were conference opponents they would. Florida is one of the biggest markets in CFB. Why not have all of it rather than half? Conferences make their money through TV. You want ratings. Despite being in the same state, FSU will bring you a ratings increase. More so than new market Mizzou, IMO.

Who cares about sharing a state when FSU vs Bama is bringing in a 15.4 share when Mizzou vs Bama is bringing in a 11.3 share. You want ratings, no matter what part of the country they come from. Don't look at FSU as the Tallahassee market. They are way bigger than that. They discribe Mizzou as the St Louis market. It's because it is all they are good for. That doesn't mean it isn't a good prize, it is. However, FSU market is bigger and it isn't just Tallahassee.

FSU adds households, too. You think because I live in Florida I watch the Gators? Well, I dont. Like I said, You will get new regions with three of the new teams. Use your 4th to get a national presence. Do you disagree with that? FSU adds households.

I was under the impression the SEC was adding a 14th team, not their 16th. The SEC already has national presence, you just said it yourself. They don't need FSU for their new TV contract, they just need to show ESPN that they'll bring in the ratings and they'll do that by bringing in Mizzou.

I was under the impression the SEC was adding a 14th team, not their 16th. The SEC already has national presence, you just said it yourself. They don't need FSU for their new TV contract, they just need to show ESPN that they'll bring in the ratings and they'll do that by bringing in Mizzou.

16 will happen. Maybe not this year but it will and soon. Every CFB writer agrees. The SEC don't want to be left behind when the PAC 16 happen. Also, the Big 10 made B16 their logo for a reason. This is the future of CFB, like it or not. The SEC is top dog but far from a monopoly.

Except right now, it's not happening. The SEC is looking to add it's 14th team, not it's 16th, and for it's 14th team Mizzou makes a whole lot more sense than Florida State. By bringing in Missouri, you're adding TV households and ratings to make a SEC Network. You're not just adding the St. Louis market, but you're also adding part of the Kansas City market as well and you're extending into the Big Ten country, while taking one of the Big XII's top teams. You're also adding a school that's strong in athletics, they'll have a decent football program and a top 4 basketball program and also a strong academic school.

Besides, you also don't have to jump that "little" hurdle of Florida being unhappy with FSU joining the conference. As long as Florida's unhappy, then Georgia and South Carolina are unhappy as well. I highly doubt any school will have a problem with Mizzou coming aboard.

Except right now, it's not happening. The SEC is looking to add it's 14th team, not it's 16th, and for it's 14th team Mizzou makes a whole lot more sense than Florida State. By bringing in Missouri, you're adding TV households and ratings to make a SEC Network. You're not just adding the St. Louis market, but you're also adding part of the Kansas City market as well and you're extending into the Big Ten country, while taking one of the Big XII's top teams. You're also adding a school that's strong in athletics, they'll have a decent football program and a top 4 basketball program and also a strong academic school.

Besides, you also don't have to jump that "little" hurdle of Florida being unhappy with FSU joining the conference. As long as Florida's unhappy, then Georgia and South Carolina are unhappy as well. I highly doubt any school will have a problem with Mizzou coming aboard.

Damn, Bayou, read my original post. I said Mizzou will be 14th and FSU will be #15 or 16

Damn, Bayou, read my original post. I said Mizzou will be 14th and FSU will be #15 or 16

I am also saying it makes sense to get a national presence with your 4th team after taking care of regions with your first three.

Cant link anything so take it for what it's worth. Word around Tallahassee is that the SEC is taking their time but FSU is a done deal. West Virginia is also likely.

That was your original statement. I can't talk for everyone else, but I took that as meaning FSU was the 14th team. How is FSU a done deal for their 15th or 16th team when they don't even have a 14th team?

Also, I am watching the Big 10 network right now. I live in Florida. Don't need a conference team in your state to have a conference network in your state.

I never said you needed to.

That is my bad but I thought we all new Mizzou was 14th. Why do you think I mentioned two teams and not three.

I still stand by that I think FSU will bring in more or as many ratings as any city market. They are also half of every major florida city. Not everyone in Florida watches the Gators.

Also, I am watching the Big 10 network right now. I live in Florida. Don't need a conference team in your state to have a conference network in your state.

The controlling issue here is how the Big 10 has their television contract negotiated. The Big 10 receives 70% profit from a viewer in a state that contains a Big 10 School. On the other hand, the Big 10 only receives 30% profit from a viewer in a state that does NOT contain a Big 10 School. So depending on how the SEC structures their new TV contracts, there could be quiet a bit more money changing hands.

There are 2 figures that need to be compared when looking at the benefits of Mizzou or Florida State. The first is the number of new households INSIDE of Missouri that will be tuning in the SEC Network to watch a non-Missouri game. The second is the number of viewers OUTSIDE of Missouri that will be tuning in to watch a Missouri game. When is comes to Florida State, the first number you look at is how many viewers inside the state of Florida that will be tuning in to watch a non-Florida State game. The second number (and by all accounts, the deal breaker) is the number of viewers that will tune in OUTSIDE of Florida to watch a Florida State game.

Nationally speaking, you are going to have more kids from Ohio, California, Utah, etc. tuning in to the SEC Network to watch Florida State play that you are to watch Missouri play. Now, restricting the spectrum to JUST Missouri and Florida... will more people INSIDE of Missouri tune in to watch Mizzo play than people INSIDE of Florida tune in to watch FSU?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

For the record I think Mizzou is a slam dunk for 14. Just been using them as an example because they are a region market. I do think their first three teams should be a new region. However, if you can make one of your four a national program, you jumps in its. Agree or disagree?

"Settling" for the premier football conference in the country? Mizzou might be one of those schools that still has the far-fetched notion that college athletics has the slightest thing to do with academics.