Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

"Settling" for the premier football conference in the country? Mizzou might be one of those schools that still has the far-fetched notion that college athletics has the slightest thing to do with academics.

That's how I look at it. I almost wish the SEC doesn't accept them now.

"Settling" for the premier football conference in the country? Mizzou might be one of those schools that still has the far-fetched notion that college athletics has the slightest thing to do with academics.

Heh. Sounds more like they wanted to go to the B1G last year and before the SEC showed interest and maybe one guy trying to stir it back up. I wouldnt read too much into it at this point. I'd say most would love to go SEC.

That's what the article says. That's what the Mizzou official said. I think they recognize the Big 10 is a better academic fit, they are a better basketball conference, and when it comes to football, they could be contenders in the Big 10, where in the SEC, they probably are just a second tier team.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Evidently your wish has been granted.

From CBSSports.com:

TCU has been invited to join the Big 12 Conference and is expected to accept the offer for the 2012-13 school year, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

TCU was scheduled to join the Big East on July 1, 2012, but instead will join the Big 12. By leaving the Big East before it officially became a member, the Horned Frogs will have to pay a $5 million exit fee but is not bound by the Big East’s 27 month requirement for notification.

The addition of TCU replaces Texas A&M, which is headed to the SEC. If Missouri remains in the league, sources said the Big 12 is expected to remain at 10 schools.

If Missouri leaves for the SEC, the Big 12 likely would add three more schools to get to 12. The leading candidates would be Louisville, BYU, West Virginia and Cincinnati.

The loss of TCU is another blow to the Big East. The league also lost Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC, but Commissioner John Marinatto has said previously the Big East would make Pitt and Syracuse stay the 27 months until 2014.

The Big 12 is still waiting to get a commitment from Missouri.

Texas Christian to Big XII.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32537029

Hopefully this ends the Big East's westward consolation raid. It's bad enough that DePaul and Marquette play in the "Big East", but seriously, Houston, Kansas and Air Force would have just been a logistical travesty.

Evidently your wish has been granted.

Wow. That is pretty interesting. I hope the Big 10 doesn't sit back and let Mizzou get away. I hope the Big 10 extends invites to Missouri AND Maryland. Missouri for the football and basketball, Maryland for the markets.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Unnamed "source" with the very vague title of "university official." Nothing to see here, folks. Not really surprised to see this being heralded by The Longhorn Network's corporate partner as some kind of major story. It isn't. If Mike Slive wants Mizzou in, then they're in.

Regarding the reports that Alabama is leading a bloc of "no" votes: that could certainly be the case, however I stand by my contention that Slive will see to it that this small faction is pacified or otherwise cajoled into voting "yes" if he deems a Mizzou add is best for the conference. Now, that's still a big "if," but I don't see any better alternative out there if (another big "if") the SEC believes a balanced conference alignment is necessary for 2012. Yesterday's meeting of the AD's wherein the logistics of scheduling formats for 13 teams and no more were discussed suggests that balance is not necessary in the short term. Bama's tapping the brakes on any imminent Mizzou addition may, however, be a means to get the conference presidents to give consideration to whether or not there's going to be a 15th and 16th school added. If their stated concerns about preserving football rivalries with Auburn and Tennessee are at the core of this supposed "no" vote on Mizzou, those might be allayed by an expansion plan that would get Alabama into a division with both rivals.

Whatever the end result is, it will be driven by Mike Slive who is now firmly in the driver's seat with respect to the future of big time college football.

As a USF fan, I am beginning to be concerned with our position in this realignment. No shot at SEC (UF), ACC (Miami & FSU), or B10 (not prestigious enough). The Big 12 would be our best case scenario. Geographically it's odd, but we are the only Florida team, in a recruiting hotbed, that's available.

I'm surely hoping the silence of USF in rumors/reports tells me something is up. Otherwise it's CUSA <_<

I don't see Maryland leaving the ACC for the B1G. Abandoning Duke in basketball wouldn't be worth the tradeoff for Penn State in football.

Well... first and foremost, the paycheck that Maryland will receive from the even split of revenue between all the schools in the Big 10 is enough to calm any concerns about leaving the ACC. Second, Maryland and Florida State were the 2 school leading the charge for the reduction of the buy out fee for leaving the ACC. Third, the Big Ten and the ACC have the early season Big 10/ACC Basketball Challenge every year. I believe 2011 is the last year for the Mens, but is expected to be picked up again for at least 4 more years. Not only that, the basketball season is so much longer than football, that you can reserve 1 or 2 nights for the Duke and UNC games. So they aren't really giving up Duke at all. Finally, it wouldn't JUST be Penn State... it would probably Penn State AND Ohio State every year, a rotation of Wisconsin, Nebraska, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State... that's pretty appealing to Maryland.

Apologies to Ram, the Photoshop wasn't gonna come out right. But.....

bigeastdocgerbil.png

IT'S DOC GERBIL'S WORLD..... IT'S DOC GERBIL'S WORLD

And thus another big blow to the Big East plus another reason why I'm glad we're out of the clown car before it fell off a cliff

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Unnamed "source" with the very vague title of "university official." Nothing to see here, folks. Not really surprised to see this being heralded by The Longhorn Network's corporate partner as some kind of major story. It isn't. If Mike Slive wants Mizzou in, then they're in.

That's how I see it. Maybe an official who peronally wants to go to the Big Ten or wants to stay Big XII and is kinda trying to stir crap up and piss off the SEC so they won't take Mizzou. Until an official statement actually comes out of Mizzou confirming this, it really doesn't carry much merit.

FSU adds households, too. You think because I live in Florida I watch the Gators? Well, I dont. Like I said, You will get new regions with three of the new teams. Use your 4th to get a national presence. Do you disagree with that? FSU adds households.

BTW, Thats my point with LeBron. FSU can do that.

Obviously not every person in Florida is going to watch the Gators. You must have missed the memo that I'm about as big a FSU fan as there is. FSU doesn't add households they add eyes. The households are already counted under the contract and the added eyes mean nothing. Yes the Noles bring in big ratings but the SEC already has big ratings with brands like UF, Bama, LSU, etc. They don't need FSU and FSU will not be going to the SEC unless the league goes to 16 and that's most likely not happening in this round of expansion.

Can this all just be over with already?

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football