Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

To me it's looking like Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers are the obvious choices if the Big Ten raids the Big East, effectively ending the Big East as an athletic entity.

If The Big Ten decides to pick from multiple conferences, who knows how it will all end up...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

To me it's looking like Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers are the obvious choices if the Big Ten raids the Big East, effectively ending the Big East as an athletic entity.

If The Big Ten decides to pick from multiple conferences, who knows how it will all end up...

Especially with all three belonging to the AAU.

Some end of the Big East scenarios:

-Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse join the Big Ten.

-DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova form a new conference.

-Of course Notre Dame stays indy in football.

-Connecticut and West Virginia join the ACC.

-What happens with Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida?

Italy.png

Expand the Big10 and BigEast both to 12 teams, so they can have conference championships

Big Ten:

Ohio State

Penn State

Northwestern

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan

Iowa

Michigan State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Minnesota

West Virginia

Big East:

Pitt

Louisville

Syracuse

UConn

South Florida

Cincinnatti

Rutgers

Central Florida

East Carolina

Memphis

Akron

Temple

Expand the Big10 and BigEast both to 12 teams, so they can have conference championships

Big Ten:

Ohio State

Penn State

Northwestern

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan

Iowa

Michigan State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Minnesota

West Virginia

Big East:

Pitt

Louisville

Syracuse

UConn

South Florida

Cincinnatti

Rutgers

Central Florida

East Carolina

Memphis

Akron

Temple

I know you are an Akron fan, and I am a University at Buffalo fan, but there is no way Akron gets in before Buffalo.

UB has more students (28,192 v. 27,380), a larger endowment ($410M v. 133M), in a bigger market size (1,170,111 v. 694,960) and is a member of the AAU, which Akron is not. There are only 3 AAU members that field a FBS football team that are not in a "Big 6" conference; Rice, Tulane and UB.

The only thing I think Akron has over Buffalo are better athletic facilities, especially the new stadium. That is obviously a major factor, but I think UB would get in before any other MAC school.

Also, WVU would not get into the Big 10, they are not an AAU member, which is a requirement to join the Big 10. Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Iowa State and Mizzou are.

saBS.png

Big Ten:

Ohio State

Penn State

Northwestern

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan

Iowa

Michigan State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Minnesota

West Virginia

Big East:

Pitt

Louisville

Syracuse

UConn

South Florida

Cincinnatti

Rutgers

Central Florida

East Carolina

Memphis

Akron

Temple

I know you are an Akron fan, and I am a University at Buffalo fan, but there is no way Akron gets in before Buffalo.

UB has more students (28,192 v. 27,380), a larger endowment ($410M v. 133M), in a bigger market size (1,170,111 v. 694,960) and is a member of the AAU, which Akron is not. There are only 3 AAU members that field a FBS football team that are not in a "Big 6" conference Rice, Tulane and UB.

The only thing I think Akron has over Buffalo are better athletic facilities, especially the new stadium. That is obviously a major factor, but I think UB would get in before any other MAC school.

Yeah seriously vmd9, what the hell are you smoking?

6fQjS3M.png

Well we have one of the nicest stadiums in the country and will be building a new arena in the next few years. Success in basketball and rebuilding a football team with a new BCS coaching staff. We would not be competitive in the Big East for a few years, but we easily have the facilities of a Big East school. I'm not saying it will ever happen, but we are much better than the MAC and time will show that.

Well we have one of the nicest stadiums in the country and will be building a new arena in the next few years. Success in basketball and rebuilding a football team with a new BCS coaching staff. We would not be competitive in the Big East for a few years, but we easily have the facilities of a Big East school. I'm not saying it will ever happen, but we are much better than the MAC and time will show that.

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the Big Ten does the 16 school thing the Pac-10 better grow some balls and add Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma,

Oklahoma State, Colorado & Utah.

1-There is still the opportunity for the Big Ten to ask both Texas schools to join them. The SEC only wanted Texas in 1989, but the Texas Legislature ended those talks.

2-For both Texas schools and the Oklahoma schools to move must have the Pac-10 give them as much revenue as they currently receive from their current deals. UT and OU receive more TV money than the other schools in the Big XII. The Pac-10 will always have an issue in that they kickoff their first football games when the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and even Big East are on their second games. The Big Ten and SEC will already have national games on ESPN(2), BTN or SEC/ESPN Network early, then the SEC on CBS as the feature game.

3-The SEC will go after schools and college presidents will listen for the financials, especially in southern states.

4-Academics and research are more important to the Big Ten than the most other conferences. Take a look at how this thread developed so you can lean about the AAC and what presidents look for.

5-The fact that the NCAA named Mark Emmert as president may illustrate where the NCAA may go as he was quoted 18 months ago in that the believed the NCAA was going to have a football playoff.

If the Big Ten does the 16 school thing the Pac-10 better grow some balls and add Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma,

Oklahoma State, Colorado & Utah.

Congratulations, maybe half of those schools fit the academic profile that the Pac 10 looks for. Seriously. You're not getting some of those schools past Stanford.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Pac-10 is going to have to get with the times if they want to survive in the new college football world. Also this board is one the most arrogant and elitist boards on the web. There are a lot of people on here to big for their britches.

Looking at some of the other message boards and the people inhabiting those places, i'll take that as a compliment.

All faults and "I-Love-The-Smell-Of-My-Own-Farts" members aside, this place is one of the more rational, respectable places to discuss sports and sports-related topics. I am sorry you do not like it here.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Pac-10 is going to have to get with the times if they want to survive in the new college football world. Also this board is one the most arrogant and elitist boards on the web. There are a lot of people on here to big for their britches.

Compared to which other boards? Since you did not leave it to sport, what others do you find elitist? TWOP, skyscrapers,net? Which ones?

The Pac-10 has a recently new Commissioner, and a Deputy Commissioner (Kevin Weiberg, former Big XII head), so don't worry, they know much more about the issues than you even tell us. Then again, you have told me zero.

Did my mild sarcasm offend?

It's based in truth, though. Much like the ill-fated Kingdom of Poland, the Pac 10 membership has a liberum veto regarding expansion. IIRC Stanford and said veto power are the reason why Colorado and/or BYU are not already members of the Conference.

Today, we are all otaku.

Did my mild sarcasm offend?

It's based in truth, though. Much like the ill-fated Kingdom of Poland, the Pac 10 membership has a liberum veto regarding expansion. IIRC Stanford and said veto power are the reason why Colorado and/or BYU are not already members of the Conference.

Lil' fella is newly board, therefore we have no idea on how close his ear is to the thought of Pac-10 expansion, TV deals, or even a network. It appears to be little. He failed to do research from this thread or on this thread.

Compared to which other boards? Since you did not leave it to sport, what others do you find elitist? TWOP, skyscrapers,net? Which ones?

Never been on skyscrapers.net, but skyscraperpage.com is a pretty informative and civil forum.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would like to thank all of you for participating in my little experiment. Truthfully I have been posting on this message board and others the last year posing as different people. I found a good amount of interesting responses to my posts, positive and negative. All of you helped tremendously with my research paper. I apologize for being deceiving. Once again, thank you all for your help, take care and best wishes.

I would like to thank all of you for participating in my little experiment. Truthfully I have been posting on this message board and others the last year posing as different people. I found a good amount of interesting responses to my posts, positive and negative. All of you helped tremendously with my research paper. I apologize for being deceiving. Once again, thank you all for your help, take care and best wishes.

Thanks for being truthful. Mods, ban him.

Ah, the whole "blow a smokescreen over my douchebaggery by claiming I'm conducting a social experiment" retort... haven't seen that one before :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Interesting dicussion on this on ESPN radio the other day, and I have to agree with the general tilt of what they were saying:

-- If the Big Ten adds ONE more team (say Notre Dame, OR Syracuse, OR Pitt, etc.) everything remains hunky-dory and pretty much the same in regards to the rest of the conferences. Big Ten will then get their championship game, and the Big East loses no more than 1 member (none if the 12th Big Ten team is Notre Dame).

-- If the Big Ten becomes the Big 14, (ostensibly by raiding the Big East of Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt), then look out. It'll be a free-for all. The SEC will be after 2 or more ACC teams, notably Fla. State, Miami, Ga Tech and Clemson. The ACC may go after Florida from the SEC. The Big East may go after its former members Va Tech, Boston College, Miami. The Big 12 may go after other teams... it'll be a mad house.

It is what it is.