Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Morgantown is not 2 hours from PIT, but more like 45-60 minutes.

Especially from the Airport. From KPIT to the WVU campus is maybe 45mins tops.

How fast are you driving? I live 30-40 minutes south of the airport in Pittsburgh and I'm still another 45 minutes at least from Morgantown. And yes, I am in direct line between the two.

I still wouldn't call Morgantown isolated though. Many of the major colleges are a good distance away from a highly populated cities with airports.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Apparently at least OU an maybe others want 12, but Texas wants 10. Looks like this rivalry is becoming more about power than football games. Maybe even more than actual money.

Well, 12 teams dilutes the value of The Longhorn Network. So it makes sense why Texas is in favor of 10 teams. 12 teams at least give you a legitimate AQ bid for the BCS. 10 teams is pushing it, even if you have Texas and Oklahoma.

As long as OU, OkSt, Texas and Texas Tech remain, they're guaranteed to keep their AQ bid, so that's not an issue. If they bring in WVU, Louisville and Cincinnati, then it helps the chances of them keeping the bid if those aformentioned schools do in fact leave. Though if all 4 exit, they'll have to add more and it becomes murky, but I still think they retain the bid.

Apparently at least OU an maybe others want 12, but Texas wants 10. Looks like this rivalry is becoming more about power than football games. Maybe even more than actual money.

Well, 12 teams dilutes the value of The Longhorn Network. So it makes sense why Texas is in favor of 10 teams. 12 teams at least give you a legitimate AQ bid for the BCS. 10 teams is pushing it, even if you have Texas and Oklahoma.

As long as OU, OkSt, Texas and Texas Tech remain, they're guaranteed to keep their AQ bid, so that's not an issue. If they bring in WVU, Louisville and Cincinnati, then it helps the chances of them keeping the bid if those aformentioned schools do in fact leave. Though if all 4 exit, they'll have to add more and it becomes murky, but I still think they retain the bid.

I don't know. If Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State leave... I don't see a conference getting and Automatic Big into the BCS with Kansas State and West Virginia being the "powerhouses," I think even if Texas Tech and Oklahoma State stay, it still may be tough for them to retain the Automatic Bid.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I don't know. If Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State leave... I don't see a conference getting and Automatic Big into the BCS with Kansas State and West Virginia being the "powerhouses," I think even if Texas Tech and Oklahoma State stay, it still may be tough for them to retain the Automatic Bid.

No, with Tech and Ok St staying they would definitely keep it. Plus, who else would it go to?

No, with Tech and Ok St staying they would definitely keep it. Plus, who else would it go to?

The Sun Belt. FIU is such a powerhouse.

... oh wait, they aren't? Could have fooled me...

Pathetically, there's actually serious talk of the Big Least, Conference USA, and Mountain West merging into a 32-team conference. No, I am not making this up. Boise State and Houston need to get the hell out while they can.

The Big Leftovers Conference

The Big Empty.

6uXNWAo.png

Pathetically, there's actually serious talk of the Big Least, Conference USA, and Mountain West merging into a 32-team conference. No, I am not making this up. Boise State and Houston need to get the hell out while they can.

The Big Empty.

The Big...Yawn.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It wouldn't have to go to anyone. If the Big XII pulls more school from the Big East, the Big East would lose its AQ and if West Virginia and Kansas State are the powerhouses in a conference of 10, I would assume the Big XII would lose their AQ too. Then there are 4 AQ's... perfect.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The Big Empty.

The Big...Yawn.

The Big Thank God We're Getting Out of This Clown Car

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Morgantown is not 2 hours from PIT, but more like 45-60 minutes.

Especially from the Airport. From KPIT to the WVU campus is maybe 45mins tops.

How fast are you driving? I live 30-40 minutes south of the airport in Pittsburgh and I'm still another 45 minutes at least from Morgantown. And yes, I am in direct line between the two.

I still wouldn't call Morgantown isolated though. Many of the major colleges are a good distance away from a highly populated cities with airports.

Airport is still the alleged problem. It is apparent that the runway at Morgantown's airport is too short to handle a football charter plane. Otherwise, teams fly into PIT or charter to Bridgeport, WV which is an hour away.

Football only or basketball and other sports included?

EDIT: Just found an article on it; football only. The conference would span from Connecticut to Hawaii. Great. Who doesn't love those UConn-Hawaii and Marshall-Wyoming match-ups?

This is stupid. Although I wouldn't be against a C-USA and Big East merger for all sports. That makes sense geographically and revenue-wise.

25yzwqg.png

Anyone see/hear the report that thhe official SEC website had a page for Missouri up last night? It was reporting that Missou would be an official member starting June or July 1st. The page has since been removed from the website. Expect reports later today.

missourix-large.jpg

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/sec-website-missouri-announcement-pulled/1

Anyone see/hear the report that thhe official SEC website had a page for Missouri up last night? It was reporting that Missou would be an official member starting June or July 1st. The page has since been removed from the website. Expect reports later today.

missourix-large.jpg

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/sec-website-missouri-announcement-pulled/1

I'm not really sure why they're holding back on making the announcement. Last week I heard was they were going to make it on Monday, which would make sense with that article. Then I heard it got pushed back to Thursday/Friday to coincide with the Mizzou/Texas A&M game. The only thing I can guess is that they're trying to work it out so Mizzou can join next summer versus the summer of 2013.

WVU to Big XII.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32980106

I can't say I like this move at all.

Personally, I was hoping for West Virginia and Missouri to be members 13 and 14 to the Big 10. The Big 10 needs to wake up. These other Conferences are getting stronger (Big XII stronger in the sense that they lost 4 schools, knocking them down to 8, but have 2 coming over with TCU and WV).

I still have this sneaking suspicion that Maryland and Rutgers are going to get tapped on the shoulder.

missourix-large.jpg

I'm not really sure why they're holding back on making the announcement. Last week I heard was they were going to make it on Monday, which would make sense with that article. Then I heard it got pushed back to Thursday/Friday to coincide with the Mizzou/Texas A&M game. The only thing I can guess is that they're trying to work it out so Mizzou can join next summer versus the summer of 2013.

From the guys on twitter, they talked to Deaton and he said a decision was made and everyone knew it. It was in the hands of the lawyers now. Basically, they're going and they're just wrapping up any legal dealings before making the official announcement, probably to avoid the issues aTm had after they were accepted in.