Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Hawaii is going to trade an upgrade in football for a downgrade in every other sport.

And an upgrade in travel savings. Say goodbye to trips to Ruston, Louisiana WOOF.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Big East is going to change their name right?

Should this continent-spanning realignment/expansion come to pass, the Big East should rebrand itself as either the Big America Conference, the Great America Conference, or the Great American Conference.

"The Conference that will Mount the Orange Bowl" is also sitting there.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hawaii is going to trade an upgrade in football for a downgrade in every other sport.

And an upgrade in travel savings. Say goodbye to trips to Ruston, Louisiana WOOF.

"No, we're not ever going to get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament playing in the Big West... but at least we saved some money."

"No, we're not ever going to get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament playing in the Big West... but at least we saved some money."

The selection committee doesn't exactly look kindly on the WAC and hasn't for some time if I recall Utah State's past bubble troubles. Hawaii basketball isn't that good anyway (4 NCAA bids lifetime-3 of the autobid variety), why chain yourself to a WAC that is shifting to the center of the US?

Today, we are all otaku.

The selection committee doesn't exactly look kindly on the WAC and hasn't for some time if I recall Utah State's past bubble troubles. Hawaii basketball isn't that good anyway (4 NCAA bids lifetime-3 of the autobid variety), why chain yourself to a WAC that is shifting to the center of the US?

Utah State had an at-large bid as recently as 2010. The WAC has received multiple bids five times in the past ten years, in fact. Utah State tends to get a raw deal from the Selection Committee because of Stew Morrill's abject refusal to play anyone decent outside of conference.

But that's not football.

What IS football is that Hawaii will end up playing in a raided Mtn. with even less TV exposure than they have now. I guess Wyoming and San Diego State are upgrades over Utah State and Louisiana Tech.

But worth the downgrade in all other sports? Meh...

The WAC's been a multibid once in the last 4 years. I don't suspect trading Fresno State, Nevada, Boise State, and Hawaii for Seattle, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio, UT-Arlington, and Denver is going to improve that state of affairs anytime soon.

Also keep in mind Hawaii bailed out after Fresno, Boise, and Nevada bailed. I don't particularly blame them for wanting to leave at that point. And their athletic department IS sufficiently cash-strapped that cutting travel costs is important.

Today, we are all otaku.

That name is already taken.http://www.greatamer...conference.com/

Big America Conference it is then.

Great American Conference?

Pros : Gac... that's a good name, Gac! (obligatory Seinfeld reference)

Cons : Lawsuit from the WWE/WWF/WCW for Great American Bash

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

That name is already taken.http://www.greatamer...conference.com/

Big America Conference it is then.

Great American Conference?

Pros : Gac... that's a good name, Gac! (obligatory Seinfeld reference)

Cons : Lawsuit from the WWE/WWF/WCW for Great American Bash

I think Great American Insurance might have an issue before the WWE...

http://www.greatamericaninsurancegroup.com/Pages/default.aspx

On the field, Idaho was better than Boise head-to-head (although, BSU was no slouch in 1-AA, they won a national title and appeared in another title game). But BSU already had a larger market and a larger stadium, and they were called crazy at the time for trying to move up. You can imagine what the chances of Idaho, in tiny Moscow with their 16,000-seat stadium, moving up on their own would have been - slim to none.

Where by "stadium" you mean "overgrown quonset hut."

Seriously, though, I would welcome the Vandals back to the Big Sky. They were a tough team back then, and they could be very competitive at the FCS level.

The problem as I see it with Idaho where they are is not only is Moscow small, but it's right next door to a PAC-12 school in Washington State so local interest isn't massive. Add that to the recruiting issues it likely presents to share the state with Boise State (who have risen to national prominence) and be a stone's throw from Washington State, it's tough to be the Vandals right now.

BCS proposes ony handling Nat'll Championship Game

Interesting news to say the least.

Also from the link:

According to those who were involved in the meetings, this was just one of several format ideas discussed by the 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. A pure playoff model was presented, as was the familiar Plus-One model.

There also were discussions that centered on keeping the core of the BCS system, but with additional tweaks. One such tweak would be to simply eliminate AQ status.

Another idea called for the seeding of the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the national championship game, and then creating an at-large and conference champion seeding. The BCS bowls, in a predetermined order, would then have the opportunity to choose a team based on traditional conference tie-ins (SEC and Sugar Bowl, for example) or go outside of those tie-ins. A second round of picks would allow the bowls to fill their remaining openings.

Another possibility, if not likelihood: the BCS running the championship game itself, rather than piggybacking with an existing BCS bowl. This season, the Sugar Bowl will oversee both its bowl and the BCS Championship.

BCS proposes ony handling Nat'll Championship Game

Interesting news to say the least.

I sense two things:

1-Pac-12 and B1G really want to have the Rose Bowl as their deal.

2-Not only would Cowboys Stadium want to bid to host the title game, 1 vs. 2, but this may also an attempt for Arthur Blank to get a new stadium for the Falcons or to have the game in Georgia Dome at least once or for Houston or Tampa to have game instead of a Super Bowl every four years. Plus, it would really screw the lower FBS conferences out: MAC,WAC, Sun Belt, MWC C-USA since they were not a part of those bowls prior to the Bowl Coalition/Alliance/BCS formation.

Regular TV contracts mean more to a program than wising to make a bowl game if you are unbeaten as the annual $$$ is consistent and known for a school's budget.

Why? At that point, there's really no point to the BCS. And once again, I'd like to point out that without a playoff system, we'll never know if the top two teams are really the two best teams.

Not sure we would get the two BEST teams with a playoff system, but certainly it would give the opportunity for other teams that aren't seen as stylish or hyped (blown) by the media to show what they are really all about. But you are absolutely CORRECT. We will never know who is good enough to make the cut. TCU beating Wisconsin last year in the Rose Bowl to me was proof that it's time to let more than just the two highest ranked teams in. Hell, the basketball tournament is expanding more! Why does this BCS have to continue with football?

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Why? At that point, there's really no point to the BCS. And once again, I'd like to point out that without a playoff system, we'll never know if the top two teams are really the two best teams.

Not sure we would get the two BEST teams with a playoff system, but certainly it would give the opportunity for other teams that aren't seen as stylish or hyped (blown) by the media to show what they are really all about. But you are absolutely CORRECT. We will never know who is good enough to make the cut. TCU beating Wisconsin last year in the Rose Bowl to me was proof that it's time to let more than just the two highest ranked teams in. Hell, the basketball tournament is expanding more! Why does this BCS have to continue with football?

Money.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Money.

I knew the answer. Still doesn't stop me from bitching about it.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Well I'd rather the "two best teams" be decided by games rather than the computer. Right now, I'd say Oklahoma State and LSU should be the title game. But because other 1-loss teams lost a week or two earlier, they move ahead because of the "rotation" of the polls. I'd say if you don't make your conference championship game, you don't play for the title. Hell, if you don't WIN it, you don't play for the national championship. I like Alabama, but if LSU runs the table and wins the SEC, there is no way Alabama should make the NC game, especially against conference division foe, LSU. Basketball has a large enough tournament where if two conference opponents make it to the NC game, it's kind of justified. Football would not, and should not, play a large tournament. I'd say no more than maybe 8 teams, 6 power conference champions and maybe two at-large bids, and Independent who qualifies, a non-power conference champion who should be there, like Boise State or this year it would be Houston, or 2nd team from a power conference who at least played for their conference championship.