Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Big 12 managed to stay afloat, which to be honest, is a surprise. After the Pac-16 flirtations, I figured that the league would have folded.

I'm still not sold on the long-term feasibility of this conference though. If the SEC ever wanted Texas, they could probably get them, and maybe the two Oklahoma schools. The Big Ten and Pac-12 would be hard pressed to match the SEC's might if they grabbed the Sooners and Horns.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Texas already told the SEC to piss off. They have actual academic pretensions.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like how he says January 1st is pretty much a college football holiday.

The last time January 1st was a great holiday filled with a bunch of entertaining and/or meaningful bowl games was like 1997. Remember when it was a day when about 14 games were played from morning till late night? When the Fiesta, the Rose, the Orange, and the Sugar all kicked off within 5 hours of each other? THAT was tradition, and it went by the wayside due to money. The bowl system, despite the long tradition that existed before revenues increased exponentially, is arguably outdated in this age of money and absolute no-argument champions.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The last time January 1st was a great holiday filled with a bunch of entertaining and/or meaningful bowl games was like 1997. Remember when it was a day when about 14 games were played from morning till late night? When the Fiesta, the Rose, the Orange, and the Sugar all kicked off within 5 hours of each other? THAT was tradition, and it went by the wayside due to money. The bowl system, despite the long tradition that existed before revenues increased exponentially, is arguably outdated in this age of money and absolute no-argument champions.

Nevermind that that bowls were designed to be post-season exhibitions and didn't actually count in the standings for quite some time (until the late 1960s IIRC). It never made any sense to use them to determine champions in the first place.

Nevermind that that bowls were designed to be post-season exhibitions and didn't actually count in the standings for quite some time (until the late 1960s IIRC). It never made any sense to use them to determine champions in the first place.

Exactly right, that's all they were. Exhibitions and rewards for good seasons. If we go by college football "tradition", the bowls are to be played for the fans and the press, and then the press determines who is best. That tradition died, and so can the bowl system for a more appropriate playoff.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Has anyone heard anything recent about what the WAC is doing (or not doing) to save it's football conference? Any word on who will (or might be) be the next commish?

Your best bet is to read columns of beat writers for the respective (err remaining) schools, and follow the WAC message board on scout.com

Has anyone heard anything recent about what the WAC is doing (or not doing) to save it's football conference? Any word on who will (or might be) be the next commish?

A repurposed Furby.

Today, we are all otaku.

A repurposed Furby.

I lol'd. :lol:

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Your best bet is to read columns of beat writers for the respective (err remaining) schools, and follow the WAC message board on scout.com

Thanks, that is the best WAC board I've seen so far.

I agree because it ruins the regular season to the point that it won't matter anymore. For example, a BCS No.4 who hasn't won their conference could win the Nat'l championship. That is the explanation why I think the playoff system is for college basketball not for football.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I agree because it ruins the regular season to the point that it won't matter anymore. For example, a BCS No.4 who hasn't won their conference could win the Nat'l championship. That is the explanation why I think the playoff system is for college basketball not for football.

Because we know in this current system a team who hasn't won their conference can't win the championship.

I would feel better about that non conference champion team if they had to play another top tier team in the gauntlet. There are 100+ teams there. Schedules are so different. Undefeated shouldn't hold the weight it does. Look at the NFL. The Giants were the best team at the end of the year. Sure, they weren't at week 5 but the season should be looked at as a qualifier and a tinkering tool to get you the best squad at the end of the year. That is the way I view the season. Seems so fair from these eyes.

PROTIP: Don't crib your arguments from sources more than a year old. Alabama just shot that particular argument in the head.

Today, we are all otaku.

And a BCS No. 3 who defeated multiple ranked teams and WON THEIR CONFERENCE didn't get a shot for the national title this year. While a team that DIDN'T WIN THEIR CONFERENCE JUST WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

You're an idiot. Stop posting.

6fQjS3M.png

It's really simple to fix, and I have no idea why they won't do it and everyone makes it so complicated: Only conference champions go to the playoffs (or the BCS, for that matter).

Sorry, Alabama, if you can't win your division, you don't earn a shot at the SEC title, and therefore shouldn't have a shot at the BCS title.

People complain that a playoff ruins the regular season. Not if you have to win your division to make your conference championship game and then win that to make the playoff. Problem solved. Alabama would not have had an argument. Win your conference. (But by all means enjoy that BCS title... but it's as mythical a "national" title as the old ones before the BCS were. It's a BCS title.)

Also, arguing 4-5 or 8-9 is a huge difference than arguing 2-3. At least something gets settled on the field that way.

I hate the argument that playoffs ruin the regular season. It's complete crap. Play well, get in the playoffs. It's that simple. There's a reason games are played and it's because you can't just go by who is better on paper. Boise State could never beat an SEC team. Oops. Oklahoma State won't lose to Iowa State. Oops. Michigan will never lose to a 1-AA/FCS school in the Big House.

200709011334488994741-pf.standard.jpg

Oops.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football