Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

It's really simple to fix, and I have no idea why they won't do it and everyone makes it so complicated: Only conference champions go to the playoffs (or the BCS, for that matter).

Sorry, Alabama, if you can't win your division, you don't earn a shot at the SEC title, and therefore shouldn't have a shot at the BCS title.

People complain that a playoff ruins the regular season. Not if you have to win your division to make your conference championship game and then win that to make the playoff. Problem solved. Alabama would not have had an argument. Win your conference. (But by all means enjoy that BCS title... but it's as mythical a "national" title as the old ones before the BCS were. It's a BCS title.)

Also, arguing 4-5 or 8-9 is a huge difference than arguing 2-3. At least something gets settled on the field that way.

Excuse me for quoting my own post, but I knew there was a catch to what I proposed, but I didn't realize what it was until reading Dennis Dodd's column from yesterday: independents. They, and more specifically Notre Dame, are the reason that a wild card is always included, and why a team who isn't a conference or division champ will always be able to win, unless the BCS/NCAA/whatever finally comes to their senses.

I maintain that my proposal above is still solid, and it's a testament to how irrelevant Notre Dame has become that I didn't consider them at all. My favorite line from Dodd's piece:

"Strip away the Notre Dame label and the Irish are Northern Illinois - which is an insult to Northern Illinois. In the last decade, the Huskies are better than the Irish by seven wins."

It's time to build a system without wild cards. There's no reason Alabama deserved to get a bye before the title game, and they should stop bowing to Notre Dame now, too.

The rest is here:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/17750857/notre-dame-the-sticking-point-in-which-teams-get-bcs-playoff-berths

Oakland would be good insurance for the Horizon in case Detroit ever leaves. I'm also thinking IUPUI because the Horizon League would probably want to keep a Top 25 media market... particularly the one that's also home to the conference headquarters.

I'd say the same thing, but there are three things that I think will keep IUPUI out of the HL.

1. The IU and Purdue directors don't want IUPUI's athletics program getting anywhere near as big as theirs... you put them in the Horizon and they take the next step towards being more powerful athletically.

2. They play in what equates to a small school gymnasium right now.

3. They don't play baseball. If Butler leaves, that brings the HL down to 5 baseball playing schools. You need six to have an automatic bid.

6fQjS3M.png

Oakland would be good insurance for the Horizon in case Detroit ever leaves. I'm also thinking IUPUI because the Horizon League would probably want to keep a Top 25 media market... particularly the one that's also home to the conference headquarters.

I'd say the same thing, but there are three things that I think will keep IUPUI out of the HL.

1. The IU and Purdue directors don't want IUPUI's athletics program getting anywhere near as big as theirs... you put them in the Horizon and they take the next step towards being more powerful athletically.

3. They don't play baseball. If Butler leaves, that brings the HL down to 5 baseball playing schools. You need six to have an automatic bid.

1. Believe me, I wish I could claim that the Horizon was just a notch under the Big Ten... or even within a handful of notches... but sadly, this is not the case. IU and PU would be ridiculously paranoid to block IUPUI from the Horizon for that reason.

2. I was about to say "Well so does Valpo" then I did some googling and... yeesh... Valpo looks like they play in an NBA arena compared to Ooey-Pooey.

3. I'm sure the Horizon knows baseball is a dying sport within its footprint and a couple of its programs (such as Milwaukee's) are already on shaky ground. Frankly, I'm surprised its lasted this long.

Call me crazy (and I bet you that someone will for this idea), but if Butler does make the jump to the Atlantic 10 (Plus 3), why doesn't the Horizon League go after Chicago State.

I know they aren't a great school, but the Horizon already has two schools in the Chicago area and... well, let's face it, the Great West is going to die a miserable death within the next two to three years thanks to realignment (Lots of talk about UTPA moving to the Southland and I would assume that UVU and NJIT would find homes someday).

Call me crazy (and I bet you that someone will for this idea), but if Butler does make the jump to the Atlantic 10 (Plus 3), why doesn't the Horizon League go after Chicago State.

I know they aren't a great school, but the Horizon already has two schools in the Chicago area and... well, let's face it, the Great West is going to die a miserable death within the next two to three years thanks to realignment (Lots of talk about UTPA moving to the Southland and I would assume that UVU and NJIT would find homes someday).

I would have NJIT go to America East, and UVU either go to WCC (even though they're public) or the Summit.

1. Believe me, I wish I could claim that the Horizon was just a notch under the Big Ten... or even within a handful of notches... but sadly, this is not the case. IU and PU would be ridiculously paranoid to block IUPUI from the Horizon for that reason.

2. I was about to say "Well so does Valpo" then I did some googling and... yeesh... Valpo looks like they play in an NBA arena compared to Ooey-Pooey.

3. I'm sure the Horizon knows baseball is a dying sport within its footprint and a couple of its programs (such as Milwaukee's) are already on shaky ground. Frankly, I'm surprised its lasted this long.

1. They'll sit there and say "Butler did it from the Horizon League, what's to keep IUPUI from doing it?"

2. Yeah. Valpo only plays in a high school gym by Indiana standards. ^_^

3. Eh, the schools that still have it won't vote in a program that doesn't. The automatic bid is that important.

6fQjS3M.png

Because I think Chicago State has administrative and financial issues at the moment.

With regards to drowning IUPUI athletics in the bathwater perhaps Indiana (whose system de jure heads up the school) and Purdue can take a page from Alabama and encourage them to start up a football program. And then starve their athletic department of resources during trustees meetings. It's worked swimmingly for Tuscaloosa.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. They'll sit there and say "Butler did it from the Horizon League, what's to keep IUPUI from doing it?"

2. Yeah. Valpo only plays in a high school gym by Indiana standards. ^_^

3. Eh, the schools that still have it won't vote in a program that doesn't. The automatic bid is that important.

1. IUPUI's lack of a relatively wealthy and supportive alumni-base for one, plus the fact that they play in a small gym and not one of the most historic basketball venues in America.

3. There's nothing saying they can't invite Oakland and IUPUI, but now I'm starting to doubt how important the Indianapolis market is to the Horizon League if the HL couldn't even swing a decent TV deal with Butler.

One last factor at play here... you know how everyone keeps referencing the AAU in regards to the Big Ten? Well IUPUI is part of the Urban 13 just like current Horizon members Milwaukee, UIC and Cleveland State. With the absence of its flagship program in its only revenue sport, it would probably behoove the Horizon to build a conference based on schools that have ties outside of athletics.

Take this for what it's worth, which is possibly just speculation on my part. I meant to bring this up sooner, but I've been a little destracted as of late.

A few weeks ago I was talking to my nephew who's currently on the football team at Georgia State (an FCS independent). We got into a brief convo about how his team did this past season, then I asked him what conference his team plays in. I knew they were Indy at the moment, and that they were going to join an FCS conference sometime soon. I just didn't know which conference Georgia State was supposed to join (I was thinking SoCon, Big South, or Southland). To my surprise, he said that they were going to join Conference USA. When I questioned him about that he had an "uh oh" reaction, froze for a little bit then left the room to "answer his cell phone".

Now this is my nephew. I person that has no reason in the world to lie to me about anything (5 year age gap between us, we have more of a cousin like relationship than uncle/nephew). Should I make anything of that?

Since then, I did some research and saw that Georgia State will join (or already joined) the CAA. Could it be possible that Georgia State has some type of long term plan to join Conference USA?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Take this for what it's worth, which is possibly just speculation on my part. I meant to bring this up sooner, but I've been a little destracted as of late.

A few weeks ago I was talking to my nephew who's currently on the football team at Georgia State (an FCS independent). We got into a brief convo about how his team did this past season, then I asked him what conference his team plays in. I knew they were Indy at the moment, and that they were going to join an FCS conference sometime soon. I just didn't know which conference Georgia State was supposed to join (I was thinking SoCon, Big South, or Southland). To my surprise, he said that they were going to join Conference USA. When I questioned him about that he had an "uh oh" reaction, froze for a little bit then left the room to "answer his cell phone".

Now this is my nephew. I person that has no reason in the world to lie to me about anything (5 year age gap between us, we have more of a cousin like relationship than uncle/nephew). Should I make anything of that?

Since then, I did some research and saw that Georgia State will join (or already joined) the CAA. Could it be possible that Georgia State has some type of long term plan to join Conference USA?

Perhaps he meant Georgia State's ultimate goal is to join C-USA...their basketball programs have been CAA for years now too, so perhaps they're joining C-USA (or the super-conference they and the Mountain West may form) in the long term.

bYhYmxh.png

It wouldn't surprise me. You don't play home games in the Georgia Dome as a start up with an ultimate goal of the CAA. And C-USA/MWC would love to get a toehold in Atlanta.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It wouldn't surprise me. You don't play home games in the Georgia Dome as a start up with an ultimate goal of the CAA. And C-USA/MWC would love to get a toehold in Atlanta.

Makes sense. Isn't UTSA (Texas, San Antonio) pretty much joining the WAC after a few startup years in FCS? They play home games in the Alamodome.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Makes sense. Isn't UTSA (Texas, San Antonio) pretty much joining the WAC after a few startup years in FCS? They play home games in the Alamodome.

Yeah. The difference is that while Georgia State is taking their time before trying to make a move while UTSA is making the move just one year after they started their football program up. You also had to consider that the WAC needed members after losing Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii so any delay in the move would be horrendous for them.

Yeah. The difference is that while Georgia State is taking their time before trying to make a move while UTSA is making the move just one year after they started their football program up. You also had to consider that the WAC needed members after losing Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii so any delay in the move would be horrendous for them.

UTSA may not join the WAC on July 1. They could abandon that plan to go to the Sun Belt.

UTSA may not join the WAC on July 1. They could abandon that plan to go to the Sun Belt.

When the SUN BELT looks more attractive by comparison, then you know it's time for the WAC to just give up...

bYhYmxh.png

Or they could sit back and wait for Karl Benson to blow up yet another Conference.

Today, we are all otaku.

If by "a few" you mean "one". This year should be pretty brutal for UTSA.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football