Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Never saw this coming. But, there is one sport that will definatly benefit from having Notre Dame in: Lacrosse.

Syracuse joins Duke, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia next season. Say they add Notre Dame in 2014. In about 3 or 4 years, you'll see the ACC have an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

ACC Lacrosse is going to be the most ungodly strong conference in any college sport I've ever seen

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Per ESPN.. Notre Dame is joining the ACC in all sports but football and hockey. However they will play five games a year in football against ACC teams.

The move will happen as soon as they can.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8369070

I felt that ESPN and Digger Phelps helped moved ND to the ACC.

Schizophrenia.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So out of the current FBS schools, I believe only Idaho and New Mexico State don't have homes for next year. Will these teams be able to make it as independents or where do you guys think they'll end up?

I think everyone else in the WAC has a home for next year, UTSA and LA Tech to Conference USA, Utah St and SJ State to Mountain West, and Texas St to Sun Belt.

Also the Big East will be getting SMU, UCF, Memphis, Houston, Boise St, and San Diego St next year, and Navy in 2015.

Any other confirmed changes for next year/season? :wacko:

OK, follow along:

-Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC from the Big East

-North Texas and FIU to C-USA from the Sun Belt (Charlotte and ODU also joins C-USA, but won't play football until 2015 though)

-Georgia State to the Sun Belt from the CAA

As for Idaho and NMSU: I don't know if they sustain being an independent for very long because it's not easy to do unless you're Notre Dame.

I honestly think that Idaho needs to go to the FCS. They're terrible in so many ways. Sure they lost to a good FCS team in Eastern Washington, but losing to Bowling Green is bad.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

After the Notre Dame move today, which I think is really big, Here's what I think happens next...

ACC gets UConn in all sports, goes ahead with a 15 and a half (ND will play at least 5 football games against ACC teams) members.

Big East falls apart

Louisville and Cincinnati go to Big 12

Rutgers goes independent

UCF, USF, Houston, SMU go back to C-USA and Boise and San Diego St go back to the MW

ACC football divisions

UConn

BC

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

Maryland

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Duke

UNC

NC St

Georgia Tech

Wake Forest

Florida St

Clemson

Miami

Each team plays division and 4 other teams. First conference playoff is formed. All three division winners make playoffs and a wild card. 1 plays 4. 2 plays 3. In addition the rest of the conference plays in ladder form. 5 plays 6. 7 plays 8. Etc.

Week 2: Conference Championship

(Notre Dame plays 2 teams from each division.) Do you think ND should be eligible for the playoffs if their record is good enough??

What playoffs are you talking about? If it's National Championship playoffs, yes and if their record is good enough you can bet they will be in it. If you're talking ACC playoffs, no because they're not in the ACC in football.

In my post I described how a conference playoff might work in the ACC if they take UConn. The winners of the three divisions plus a wild card would make the conference playoffs. Do you think if ND had a good enough winning percentage in the five games against ACC teams they should be able to take the wild card spot in this hypothetical conference playoff?

The ACC is not expanding unless ND decides later on to join for football then it will most likely be Rutgers IMO.

15 teams with a full conference tournament can work easily in basketball (you play 4 teams twice everyone else once). There is no need to go to 16 for Basketball and the Olympics sports. 15 teams with a short schedule does not work for football you need a 16 to make it work (4 rotaing pods making up the divisions).

I do think down the road ND will have to join fully. Then the ACC will move for team 16. Forecasting my guess would be Rutgers. Football program is as food as UConn, it is a better TV market with a larger population (stronger precense in both NYC and Philly), and better recruiting area for both football and basketball. At this point the ACC does not need anohter basketball program (and who knows what UConn basketball will be like post Calhoun and the coming sanctions). It will almost strictly a media market decision as a move to 16 full time members (with ND being one) would be about creating an ACC Network IMO.

But that is at least 8 years down the road when the first college football playoff tv contract expires (I could see ND giving up independece if a conference champ gets an autobid to a playoff opening up a possible easier path than need to win 11 or 12 games)

What playoffs are you talking about? If it's National Championship playoffs, yes and if their record is good enough you can bet they will be in it. If you're talking ACC playoffs, no because they're not in the ACC in football.

In my post I described how a conference playoff might work in the ACC if they take UConn. The winners of the three divisions plus a wild card would make the conference playoffs. Do you think if ND had a good enough winning percentage in the five games against ACC teams they should be able to take the wild card spot in this hypothetical conference playoff?

I didn't mean there wasn't playoffs, I understand what you're saying. I'm saying Notre Dame isn't in the ACC for football so they wouldn't be in the playoffs. Hypothetically, I think they could good enough to be the wild card.

Notre Dame is a great example how effed up collegiate football is. They have their own MAJOR television network and they seem to pick and choose who and where they play. I hope they suck for a decade and finally have to play by everyone else's rules. For years I had no opinion about ND (minus the ridiculous NBC deal,) yet now I find myself openly rooting against them.

While I was torn for many years, I clearly see the NFL as the better league now. There's a lot to be said for structure over style points, polls and Lee Corso.

Still love the Longhorns, but I care about the Cowboys a lot more.

newsig.jpg

After the Notre Dame move today, which I think is really big, Here's what I think happens next...

ACC gets UConn in all sports, goes ahead with a 15 and a half (ND will play at least 5 football games against ACC teams) members.

Big East falls apart

Louisville and Cincinnati go to Big 12

Rutgers goes independent

UCF, USF, Houston, SMU go back to C-USA and Boise and San Diego St go back to the MW

ACC football divisions

UConn

BC

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

Maryland

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Duke

UNC

NC St

Georgia Tech

Wake Forest

Florida St

Clemson

Miami

Each team plays division and 4 other teams. First conference playoff is formed. All three division winners make playoffs and a wild card. 1 plays 4. 2 plays 3. In addition the rest of the conference plays in ladder form. 5 plays 6. 7 plays 8. Etc.

Week 2: Conference Championship

(Notre Dame plays 2 teams from each division.) Do you think ND should be eligible for the playoffs if their record is good enough??

If they add a 16th school, it would not be UConn. They're only hope was if Rutgers was #15. UConn's academics are terrible, and to balance out the money grab angle, conferences actually do look at academics to some degree. And considering how often UConn could face postseason bans due to low scores, it's not worth the risk right now, because basketball is really their only plus.

Notre Dame is a great example how effed up collegiate football is. They have their own MAJOR television network and they seem to pick and choose who and where they play. I hope they suck for a decade and finally have to play by everyone else's rules. For years I had no opinion about ND (minus the ridiculous NBC deal,) yet now I find myself openly rooting against them.

While I was torn for many years, I clearly see the NFL as the better league now. There's a lot to be said for structure over style points, polls and Lee Corso.

Still love the Longhorns, but I care about the Cowboys a lot more.

To be fair, they "pick and choose' a pretty legit schedule most years. USC, Michigan, Michigan State, BYU, Stanford, and Oklahoma aren't terrible. Its not like they play only low to mid-level teams or anything.

Its not a typical SEC schedule (nothing is) but those teams always play the Savannah State's of the world 3 times. Notre Dame doesn't do that outside of the Navy Game, and even that I doubt you'd see LSU schedule them as a non-conference game too often.

If they add a 16th school, it would not be UConn. They're only hope was if Rutgers was #15. UConn's academics are terrible, and to balance out the money grab angle, conferences actually do look at academics to some degree. And considering how often UConn could face postseason bans due to low scores, it's not worth the risk right now, because basketball is really their only plus.

That's not true. Plus I doubt you will find any program in the country that continually has postseason bans. Once someone falls below the level, they will do whatever it takes to get back up above that level. If you continually don't even have the option to go to the postseason, there will be no point of having the team.

For years I had no opinion about ND (minus the ridiculous NBC deal,) yet now I find myself openly rooting against them.

Something I can agree with a Texas fan about!

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

ACC Lacrosse is going to be the most ungodly strong conference in any college sport I've ever seen

Pac-12 men's water polo - and specifically the State of California - is absolute in their dominance of the sport. it makes Big East Basketball, ACC Lacrosse or Big Ten Hockey look tame.

No team outside the state of California has EVER finished higher than 3rd overall, so by default, no Non-California school has ever played for a National Title in men's water polo.

Combined, the Big 4 California schools (UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal) have won the Men's Water Polo Championship 38 times out of 43 years, or 88% of the time. The 5 championships won by non-PAC12 schools belong to UC-Irvine (3), UC-Santa Barbara (1), and Pepperdine (1).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Water_Polo_Championship

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Pac-12 men's water polo...

Technically speaking, the Pac-12 doesn't exist as an intercollegiate water polo conference for either men or women. The water polo programs from Pac-12 institutions - California, Stanford, UCLA and USC for men; Arizona State, California, Stanford, UCLA and USC for women - compete in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.

The NCAA-affiliated Men's Water Polo conferences and their Division 1 members are...

Collegiate Water Polo Association

Brown University

Bucknell University

Fordham University

George Washington University

Harvard University

Iona College

Princeton University

Saint Francis College

United States Naval Academy

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation

Long Beach State University

Pepperdine University

Stanford University

University of California, Berkley

University of California, Irvine

University of California, Los Angeles

University of California, Santa Barbara

University of Southern California

University of the Pacific

Western Water Polo Association

Loyola Marymount University

Santa Clara University

United States Air Force Academy

University of California, Davis

University of California, San Diego

"I want Notre Dame to play by the same rules as everyone else!"

Like playing 1-AA teams and teams from the Sun Belt, MAC, etc...

Notre Dame always puts one of the toughest schedules together, and the reason they've struggled so much is because they don't play cupcakes or weak in-conference opponents. Every week for the Irish is a test.

I don't get the hate for a program that does it right...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Pac-12 men's water polo...

Technically speaking, the Pac-12 doesn't exist as an intercollegiate water polo conference for either men or women. The water polo programs from Pac-12 institutions - California, Stanford, UCLA and USC for men; Arizona State, California, Stanford, UCLA and USC for women - compete in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.

The NCAA-affiliated Men's Water Polo conferences and their Division 1 members are...

Collegiate Water Polo Association

Brown University

Bucknell University

Fordham University

George Washington University

Harvard University

Iona College

Princeton University

Saint Francis College

United States Naval Academy

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation

Long Beach State University

Pepperdine University

Stanford University

University of California, Berkley

University of California, Irvine

University of California, Los Angeles

University of California, Santa Barbara

University of Southern California

University of the Pacific

Western Water Polo Association

Loyola Marymount University

Santa Clara University

United States Air Force Academy

University of California, Davis

University of California, San Diego

Yeah, yeah.

But if you mention UCLA, USC, Cal and Stanford in the same breath, everyone will think you mean Pac-12. Hell, their chess teams probably play in the Western States Intercollegiate Conference of Strategy Games-Pacific Coast Division, but nobody cares.

:rolleyes::P

UyDgMWP.jpg

So, is there anywhere that actually shows who's where and what and gah...it's all dreadfully confusing.

What's funny is that if Texas and Oklahoma had gone to the Pac-12, the Big East may have at least had some credibility by bringing on Kansas, Kansas State. Although would that have meant that West Virginia would've ended up in the SEC with Missouri?? There's so many alternate re-alignments that could've occurred if Texas didn't act like the King of the Universe.

GR30a5H.png