Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Dont think this makes FSU happy in the ACC. They voted against the buyout for a reason.

Fortunately the TV Deal can and will get renegotiated.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Dont think this makes FSU happy in the ACC. They voted against the buyout for a reason.

Florida State's not moving. Unless y'all got 50 million dollars to blow, it's the ACC.

Getting out of buyouts is easy. FSU's president called it "punitive" and said a good businessman never puts himself in something he can't get out of. Hell, the two new ACC teams got their buyout reduced. Even got to come over a year early.

Florida State's not moving. Unless y'all got 50 million dollars to blow, it's the ACC.

Getting out of buyouts is easy. FSU's president called it "punitive" and said a good businessman never puts himself in something he can't get out of. Hell, the two new ACC teams got their buyout reduced. Even got to come over a year early.

Huh? We had to pay more (I think we paid $10M to get in 2013 either instead of or on top of the $5M after an agreement) to get into the ACC early.

Also, I don't think the $50M part is getting to you. That's two years of athletic revenue you're talking about there, plus the fact that it's a public school means anything outside of athletic money isn't going to fly over well. I mean, yeah there's still the idea of FSU jumping ship, but it's looking way harder to pull that off the longer this goes, plus I'm sure FSU could try to get their way again with TV contract re-renegotiations on the way with ND coming in.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I very strongly doubt the Big XII wants to shell out $100 million for the privilege of having FSU and collectively :censored: ing Clemson.

And yeah, historically the buyout penalty gets picked up by the new conference in order to make it "go down".

Anyway, it's a moot point, the Big XII was only going to expand if Notre Dame was part of the expansion, and the ACC just offered the Irish the same deal that the Big XII was offering. So yeah, expansion's off the table there.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Huh? We had to pay more (I think we paid $10M to get in 2013 either instead of or on top of the $5M after an agreement) to get into the ACC early.

Also, I don't think the $50M part is getting to you. That's two years of athletic revenue you're talking about there, plus the fact that it's a public school means anything outside of athletic money isn't going to fly over well. I mean, yeah there's still the idea of FSU jumping ship, but it's looking way harder to pull that off the longer this goes, plus I'm sure FSU could try to get their way again with TV contract re-renegotiations on the way with ND coming in.

$50 million can be easily picked up by the new conference the school is entering and the school's generous donating alumni/supporters.

If you follow the money trail, the SEC funded TCU and West Virginia to move to the Big XII.....

$50 million can be easily picked up by the new conference the school is entering and the school's generous donating alumni/supporters.

If you follow the money trail, the SEC funded TCU and West Virginia to move to the Big XII.....

Yup. The SEC would like a strong Big 12.

And what, again, does the Big XII get from shelling out $100 million on Florida State and Clemson? I'm pretty sure it doesn't make the league stronger.

Today, we are all otaku.

And what, again, does the Big XII get from shelling out $100 million on Florida State and Clemson? I'm pretty sure it doesn't make the league stronger.

Not being a homer, but I have a question; Would it be more likely for the BIG XII to get Louisville or Florida State?

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Not being a homer, but I have a question; Would it be more likely for the BIG XII to get Louisville or Florida State?

No.

Today, we are all otaku.

• 4 weeks later...

What gets me about the WAC is even non-football schools have jumped ship. UT Arlington will only be a member for one year like their Texas brethren UTSA and Texas State.

And let me just say I've never been more excited for WAC basketball after seeing this:

TWSARSNPKNGYMTS.20111128222926.png

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I have also read that the WAC is talking to Grand Canyon University in Phoenix about bringing their basketball, baseball and soccer team for the 2014 or 2015 season.

Which wouldn't shock me since Idaho has talked to the Big Sky about joining that conference in 2014. The WAC needs members badly, and that is the only way the WAC can be saved: D-II upgrades like Grand Canyon.

Seeing these two articles got me thinking about an Super Conference alignment where Texas and BYU go to the Big Ten. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8487712/ohio-state-buckeyes-texas-longhorns-set-home-home-series

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8491649/wisconsin-badgers-byu-cougars-set-2-game-series-2017-2018

In this scenario, the Big Ten would be the first to expand adding Texas, Kansas, BYU and Rutgers. In many scenarios the Big Ten gets stuck with an academically inferior member that doesn't fit the conference. (Kansas State, Iowa State) But, in this scenario, the Big Ten gets 4 pretty good academic schools that fit in the Big Ten model of being a large research university.

The Pac 16 grabs Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor. 4 good football universities and by grabbing these 4 Big 12 schools, the Pac 12 avoids being geographically shut out of Conference Realignment.

SEC decides not to expand. Let's face it. An NC State or even a Virginia Tech would get crushed in the SEC and the SEC would rather not raid another conference.

The ACC takes West Virginia to get to 16 (and add a historic rival of VT) when Notre Dame decides to abandon Independence to play in a division with Pitt, Syracuse and BC, 3 historic rivals. Notre Dame stayed independent until it became clear that they would not have a spot in the new playoff system if they didn't join a conference.

Schedules

Big Ten

All teams play fixed rivals and half of remaining Big Ten teams each year. So, there are no real divisions

Penn State-Rutgers

Michigan-Ohio State

Purdue-Indiana

Illinois-Northwestern

Wisconsin-Michigan State

Iowa-Minnestoa

Nebraska-Kansas

Texas-BYU

Pac 16

Teams play division and half of remaining Pac 16 teams

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Oregon State

USC

UCLA

California

Stanford

Arizona

Arizona State

Utah

Colorado

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas Tech

Baylor

ACC

Teams play division and half of remaining teams

Notre Dame

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Boston College

Maryland

Virginia

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

UNC

Duke

Florida State

Miami

Wake Forest

NC State

Clemson

Georgia Tech

SEC

Stays Same

Conference Screwed

Connecticut

Temple

Louisville

Cincinnati

USF

UCF

SMU

TCU

Houston

Memphis

Kansas State

Iowa State

Boise State

San Diego State

Time to bump this thread.

I've been hearing rumors of the Big East eyeing BYU, Army and Air Force. Nothing substantial yet, but I wonder if they're trying to stay relevant by being the first of the "Power 6" to hit 16 teams.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN