Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I've always got the vibe the couple of times I've been around the Beltway that they care about Maryland at least a decent bit.

But yeah, it's all about getting BTN in more households -- hence why you'll see the Big Ten probably make a play for UNC and Georgia Tech.

Hearing rumors that this is another step in Jim Delaney's master plan (which I have to imagine is written with crayon in the middle of a Lisa Frank coloring book) of a 16 team super-conference that ends with getting North Carolina into the B10.

Going back to rams' point, if this is nothing more than the B10 playing the role of "spurned lover turned arsonist" to Notre Dame, I would be slightly surprised. Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than a 4 super conference alignment with ND freezing out in the cold of football independence, but I'm not sure what Rutgers or Maryland bring to the table outside of being located somewhat near large metropolitan areas. If you ask me, a school like Boston College would be a much better fit than a Rutgers from an academic and athletic tradition standpoint.

Notre Dame aligning themselves with the ACC for all sports seems to make sure they'll have an "in" if it comes down to that.

6fQjS3M.png

ESPN reporting that Maryland Board of Regents has unamimously accepted the Big 10 invite. Many thought that Maryland would NOT unanimously accept, but rather have to rule based on the Majority.

ESPN also reports that Rutgers could vote as early as tomorrow (Tuesday, Novemeber 20) to accept the Big 10's invite as well.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

ESPN reporting that Maryland Board of Regents has unamimously accepted the Big 10 invite. Many thought that Maryland would NOT unanimously accept, but rather have to rule based on the Majority.

ESPN also reports that Rutgers could vote as early as tomorrow (Tuesday, Novemeber 20) to accept the Big 10's invite as well.

I think this almost makes UConn to the ACC a fait accompli. They need someone to replace Maryland, and they'd get NYC penetration as UConn is broadcast on SNY.

This also brings about, sadly (and finally), the death of the Big East.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Now I admittedly haven't been following this too much, but this has to be a bridge for the B1G, right?

You don't get Maryland and Rutgers and hang a big "Mission Accomplished!" banner, right?

These are the teams #13 and #14 you get when you have a clear plan to go to 16 teams in mind, right?

I've always got the vibe the couple of times I've been around the Beltway that they care about Maryland at least a decent bit.

But yeah, it's all about getting BTN in more households -- hence why you'll see the Big Ten probably make a play for UNC and Georgia Tech.

Hearing rumors that this is another step in Jim Delaney's master plan (which I have to imagine is written with crayon in the middle of a Lisa Frank coloring book) of a 16 team super-conference that ends with getting North Carolina into the B10.

Going back to rams' point, if this is nothing more than the B10 playing the role of "spurned lover turned arsonist" to Notre Dame, I would be slightly surprised. Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than a 4 super conference alignment with ND freezing out in the cold of football independence, but I'm not sure what Rutgers or Maryland bring to the table outside of being located somewhat near large metropolitan areas. If you ask me, a school like Boston College would be a much better fit than a Rutgers from an academic and athletic tradition standpoint.

Notre Dame aligning themselves with the ACC for all sports seems to make sure they'll have an "in" if it comes down to that.

I wouldn't be so sure... If we have to get down to four 16-team conferences, of the five major conferences left, three are safe bets (SEC, B1G, PAC) for the final table. That leaves the ACC and B12 fighting over that last spot at the dinner table.

Also, it appears that with the B1G moving into the Atlantic, they're looking for 2 more ACC schools (UNC, GA TECH?) to round them into 16. Then you pair that with rumblings that FSU and Clemson are looking to split for either the SEC or B12... And all of a sudden, that leaves the ACC with VA Tech football, Duke basketball, and Big East leftovers. You really think ND will leave football independence for that?

It will be interesting to see what happens first: the B1G and SEC getting to 16 (which, odds are, will pick the ACC dry and save the Big 12) or the PAC 12 expanding southward and getting to 16 (which will likely kill the Big 12).

Thinking end game here:

Phase 1 - Nebraska and Colorado leave the Big XII to join the BIG 10 and PAC-10, respectively. Utah leaves the WAC to join the PAC-10 to make the PAC-12

Phase 2 - Texas A&M, fed up with the catering to Texas, leaves the Big XII for the SEC. Mizzou, although favoring the BIG 10, does not receive and invite, thus joining the SEC. Pitt and Syracuse bolt from the Big East to the ACC.

Phase 3 - Big XII on the verge of collapse, adds TCU (via the Big East) and West Virginia to bring their total up to 10.

Phase 4 - The Big East, on the verge of collapse, adds Boise State, San Diego State, and Navy.

Phase 4 - ND, still spruning the advances of the BIG 10, leaves the Big East to join the ACC for all sports, but maintaining their football Independance.

Phase 5 - The BIG 10 pissed at ND, invited Maryland and Rutgers to the BIG 10, throwing the most traditionaly rich conference somepletely untraditional.

So what's next?

The SEC has made it clear that their expansion will not include schools that are located in a state that already has a school in that State. So the SEC taps NC State on the shoulder. NC State accepts, wanting to get away from North Carolina. This leaves the SEC at 15. The Virginia Common Wealth will not allow Viriginia and VT to separate conferences, unless its for the BIG 10 and SEC. Virginia, being an AAU member, applies for acceptances into the BIG 10, with VT doing the same to the SEC. SEC accepts. BIG 10 accepts.

With the writing on the walls, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State leaves the Big XII to join the PAC-12, bringing the total to 16. The Big XII collapses in on itself. TCU and Boise State join the PAC-12 to bring the total to 18. The newly formed amalgamation of the ACC and The Big East, under the ACC name, pick up the scraps from the Big XII, Big East, and ACC. The BIG 10 invites Kansas and Kansas State, thuse bolstering their basketball more than their football clout, bringing the BIG 10, to 17 teams. Meanwhile, the SEC invites Florida State and Clemson, bringing their total to 18.

The BIG 10 finally makes 1 last push at ND, advertising the ND is the last dominoe to fall in the massive College Football Realignment of the 2010's. ND accepts. PAC-18, the BI8 TEN, SEC and ACC are the only remaining conferences. The BCS ammends rules for the number of games that are allowed to be played in a season, thus allowing each conference to have a 4 team playoff within their conference, with the winner of each being Seated 1-4 for a 4 team playoff for the BCS Title.

• Like 1

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Thinking end game here:

Phase 1 - Nebraska and Colorado leave the Big XII to join the BIG 10 and PAC-10, respectively. Utah leaves the WAC to join the PAC-10 to make the PAC-12

Phase 2 - Texas A&M, fed up with the catering to Texas, leaves the Big XII for the SEC. Mizzou, although favoring the BIG 10, does not receive and invite, thus joining the SEC.

Phase 3 - Big XII on the verge of collapse, adds TCU (via the Big East) and West Virginia to bring their total up to 10.

Phase 4 - The Big East, on the verge of collapse, adds Boise State, San Diego State, and Navy.

Phase 4 - ND, still spruning the advances of the BIG 10, leaves the Big East to join the ACC for all sports, but maintaining their football Independance.

Phase 5 - The BIG 10 pissed at ND, invited Maryland and Rutgers to the BIG 10, throwing the most traditionaly rich conference somepletely untraditional.

So what's next?

The SEC has made it clear that their expansion will not include schools that are located in a state that already has a school in that State. So the SEC taps NC State on the shoulder. NC State accepts, wanting to get away from North Carolina. This leaves the SEC at 15. The Virginia Common Wealth will not allow Viriginia and VT to separate conferences, unless its for the BIG 10 and SEC. Virginia, being an AAU member, applies for acceptances into the BIG 10, with VT doing the same to the SEC. SEC accepts. BIG 10 accepts.

With the writing on the walls, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State leaves the Big XII to join the PAC-12, bringing the total to 16. The Big XII collapses in on itself. TCU and Boise State join the PAC-12 to bring the total to 18. The newly formed amalgamation of the ACC and The Big East, under the ACC name, pick up the scraps from the Big XII, Big East, and ACC. The BIG 10 invites Kansas and Kansas State, thuse bolstering their basketball more than their football clout, bringing the BIG 10, to 17 teams. Meanwhile, the SEC invites Florida State and Clemson, bringing their total to 18.

The BIG 10 finally makes 1 last push at ND, advertising the ND is the last dominoe to fall in the massive College Football Realignment of the 2010's. ND accepts. PAC-18, the BI8 TEN, SEC and ACC are the only remaining conferences. The BCS ammends rules for the number of games that are allowed to be played in a season, thus allowing each conference to have a 4 team playoff within their conference, with the winner of each being Seated 1-4 for a 4 team playoff for the BCS Title.

A few opinions:

Texas is in no hurry to do anything. They are the captain of the Big 12. They are going to see if the Big 12 is salvageable (perhaps by grabbing a FSU or Miami) before jumping to the PAC 12 boat.

I really do think there are some spurned feelings by the B1G toward ND for the ACC move. The ND/Big East agreement was always viewed in "oh, that's cute." terms. Personally, I would love it if the B1G has had the ACC in their crosshairs for some time now and then ND went and anchored themselves to that target out of nowhere. Now whether or not those feelings will still be strong enough 5 years from now when the ship is leaving dock to offer one last time remains to be seen. I think it's just as likely ND ends up in the B12 as the B1G at this point.

Just personal opinion, but once conferences reach 16 teams, I think expansion will slow. At that point, you'll have enough to form a 8 team football playoff between those 4 conferences. The conference basketball tournaments will be mini-March Madnesses in themselves. These events will be marquee TV entertainment and will bring in bank. Once we get to that point, I don't foresee conferences bringing in more schools for the heck of it and having to split revenue any more than they already have to.

I don't think the Big 12 will be collapsing... the ACC will be the next to go after the Big East, though. Clemson, FSU, and GT have been wanting out for a while now. I can't imagine the Research Triangle schools wanting to stick around in the ACC if those three schools end up leaving.

Disagree. The Big 12 may survive, but it'll be as the lesser of the now 5 power conferences. I think the ACC has set itself up to survive. The PAC-12 and SEC are probably the heavier hitters with the Big 10 keeping pace.

Now I can see the PAC going after OU and Ok State. Maybe try to get Texas to join with Texas Tech, too but falls apart again. Last time, Mizzou was mentioned as the 4th should Texas pullout. Well OU and Ok state did as well, but now may decide to join. Either as just 2 or maybe pull somebody, IMO, BYU to come in with Texas Tech. Texas may try to salvage the Big 12 or may go for the Big 10. It's been mentioned. But it was also mentioned last year that they may pair up with Notre Dame and join either the Big 10 or ACC. Well since ND's already lined up with the ACC, that puts them in play for Texas possibly.

My predictions: PAC-12, Big 10 and SEC wind up with 16, ACC 12-14 perhaps 16 if they get desperate and let a couple schools in they otherwise wouldn't, and the Big 12 with a salvageable 10-14 if they too add the likes of say Houston, SMU and Rice in addition to snatching up Louisville and Cincinnati. Florida State is anybody's guess. They may convince the SEC to take them or settle for the Big 12. They could also give up and stay where they're at.

It's really all a crapshoot anyway.

If you are attacking ND you don't do it through Maryland. That's not going to ruin the ACC. It'd be FSU, Duke, or UNC.

As other people pointed out, adding Rutgers and Maryland does zero for competitiveness outside of Maryland basketball, but is all about getting the Big Ten Network into 15 million extra homes. Offering the bigger boys a chance to get in on that revenue stream is going to be the main attraction of a potential offer.

The Big12/SEC deal does make it a little more attractive for the Texas/OU monster to stay. I don't think they will reach full stability until they get that southern foothold with strong southern football schools. Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and GT/Miami would make Texas want to stay. Any university would rather play on east time rather than west time. Plus, with those schools you strengthen the SEC bond just started. The SEC is a good friend to have. Now if the Big 12 stays at 10 through all of this.......

If you are attacking ND you don't do it through Maryland. That's not going to ruin the ACC. It'd be FSU, Duke, or UNC.

I think the B1G has a plan to go to 16 that doesn't include Notre Dame, but room could be made if they change their mind at any point. There's a very high chance that North Carolina will be one of the next teams in the B1G expansion and it's looking like FSU isn't going to be in the ACC for much longer. If that' s enough for Notre Dame to want out, the B1G will be glad to make them their 16th team and finish off the superconference. If Notre Dame is still content being a football independent, it's likely Georgia Tech or even Virginia will cap off the B1G expansion.

What I think a lot of it will depend on is what the football playoff situation is going forward. If it comes down to four 16-team conferences with each of them sending the conference champion to the playoff, Notre Dame will have to jump ship and likely join the B1G. If there's any other format that allows Notre Dame to qualify for the football playoff as an independent, I don't see them moving to any conference.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It's looking like Maryland and Rutgers will join the Leaders division and Illinois will be the team moving over to the Legends. Bad news for Illinois football.

LEGENDS: Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois

LEADERS: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Indiana

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Those division names still cracks me up.

I didn't like them at first... but its something unique, its something different. In all honesty, they are division names that are temporary. The BIG 10 has a plan for 16, with 4 divisions of 4 teams. If that is their end game, then I think you will see a normal North, South, East, and West come to fruition. Let's face it, you can only do so much with alliteration.

There is an interesting dynamic at play here. 16 seams to be the number these Conferences are looking at. 16 teams for 4 major conferences leaves a lot of teams out, that probably should be in a major conference. There would almost definitely be a 5th major conference, all thought it would be the bastard step child of the Big 4 - the 4th being either the Big XII or the ACC/Big East.

I have a sneaking suspicion that 18 could be the number that does it. 18 colleges for basketball and football... the revenue generating sports, for 4 conferences. This would most certaintly render a Pacific Conference, a South/South East Conference, an Atlantic Conference and a Midwest/North East Conference. The left overs will be reduced to basketball only members (Marquette, Xavier, etc.).

I should be getting home from work at a decent time tonight. I will try and post a 4 Conference BCS map with potential moves later tonight.