Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

So what's next?

The SEC has made it clear that their expansion will not include schools that are located in a state that already has a school in that State. So the SEC taps NC State on the shoulder. NC State accepts, wanting to get away from North Carolina. This leaves the SEC at 15. The Virginia Common Wealth will not allow Viriginia and VT to separate conferences, unless its for the BIG 10 and SEC. Virginia, being an AAU member, applies for acceptances into the BIG 10, with VT doing the same to the SEC. SEC accepts. BIG 10 accepts.

Okay, so far.

With the writing on the walls, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State leaves the Big XII to join the PAC-12, bringing the total to 16. The Big XII collapses in on itself. TCU and Boise State join the PAC-12 to bring the total to 18.

As George Costanza, once said, "Okay, now ya got greedy." Maybe the first four join, but there is NO WAY the Pac-12, 16, whatever will allow Boise State to join, and it is doubtful they would allow TCU to join.

.... Meanwhile, the SEC invites Florida State and Clemson, bringing their total to 18.

This after you just stated "the SEC has made it clear that their expansion will not include schools that are located in a state that already has a school in that State." Maybe you foresee that by that time, all bets are off and it's bedlam, but still...

It is what it is.

If you are attacking ND you don't do it through Maryland. That's not going to ruin the ACC. It'd be FSU, Duke, or UNC.

As other people pointed out, adding Rutgers and Maryland does zero for competitiveness outside of Maryland basketball, but is all about getting the Big Ten Network into 15 million extra homes. Offering the bigger boys a chance to get in on that revenue stream is going to be the main attraction of a potential offer.

This is what happens, BTW, when you let contemporary businessmen run your Conference.

It's looking like Maryland and Rutgers will join the Leaders division and Illinois will be the team moving over to the Legends. Bad news for Illinois football.

LEGENDS: Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois

LEADERS: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Indiana

Nebraska is never going to play Indiana in football, is it?

EDIT-Hey....Indiana has a winning record against Maryland in football. Welcome new meat.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So what's next?

The SEC has made it clear that their expansion will not include schools that are located in a state that already has a school in that State. So the SEC taps NC State on the shoulder. NC State accepts, wanting to get away from North Carolina. This leaves the SEC at 15. The Virginia Common Wealth will not allow Viriginia and VT to separate conferences, unless its for the BIG 10 and SEC. Virginia, being an AAU member, applies for acceptances into the BIG 10, with VT doing the same to the SEC. SEC accepts. BIG 10 accepts.

Okay, so far.

With the writing on the walls, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State leaves the Big XII to join the PAC-12, bringing the total to 16. The Big XII collapses in on itself. TCU and Boise State join the PAC-12 to bring the total to 18.

As George Costanza, once said, "Okay, now ya got greedy." Maybe the first four join, but there is NO WAY the Pac-12, 16, whatever will allow Boise State to join, and it is doubtful they would allow TCU to join.

.... Meanwhile, the SEC invites Florida State and Clemson, bringing their total to 18.

This after you just stated "the SEC has made it clear that their expansion will not include schools that are located in a state that already has a school in that State." Maybe you foresee that by that time, all bets are off and it's bedlam, but still...

Bedlam. Exactly.

The SEC wants footprint and new states, much the same way the BIG 10 is directing their expansion. However, if more and more schools start to fall change, I don't see the SEC using the State-mandate as the control. I think if the BIG 10 gets their 16, and the PAC-12 get 14 or even 16, the SEC isn't going to go after Cincinnatti and Pitt just to to increase their footprint, instead of taking better programs, with bigger followings in Clemson or Florida State.

The PAC-12 isn't going to be the only 14 team conference in a 16 school super conferences. They will make a hard push at the Red River 4 (Texas, Tech, OK, and OK State). I think all but Texas would be on board for the move. I could see Texas trying to snub their nose and stay independent, but its going to be a lot harder in the new College Football landscape and the PAC-12 would be willing to make exceptions with the Longhorn Network. I think those 4 schools are more willing to join the PAC than then SEC. I think they feel they can compete/dominate in the PAC.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm late, did we wring our hands over Rutgers having Insufficient Academic Standards yet?

Ehhh...Rutgers isn't that crappy a school from an academic/research perspective. That was never an argument against them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my Dad, the Nebraska alum comes one gem of good news in all of this: Now that Illinois is in the West Division, he can watch Nebraska play in person on a biannual basis. Mind you Iowa City's only another hour one way than the trip to Chambana for him, so he probably could have already, but that's besides the point. I think he thinks he can get tickets for the Illinois game for pennies on the dollar just by walkup though at Chambana forever, and he may actually be right.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Funny that attendance isn't maxed out, considering Illini fans seem to be among the most vocal when it comes to having no stars upon thars. Maybe they're boycotting games until the Chief comes back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Funny that attendance isn't maxed out, considering Illini fans seem to be among the most vocal when it comes to having no stars upon thars. Maybe they're boycotting games until the Chief comes back.

I think most schools would see empty seats when they've lost 13 straight Big Ten games.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

NC State and VT to the SEC may happen very soon. Internet fodder of course. But decent people are saying it.

FSU and Clemson to the Big 12? looking more and more.

All depends on the Common Wealth of Virginia. They want VT and Virginia to stay in the same conference... and its up to the Common Wealth as to what conference/s those 2 schools join. Virginia is an AAU school, which the BIG 10 values just as much, if not more, than how many households the BTN gets in to. A school will not be considered for expansion unless they are a member of the AAU. If the BIG 10 is on board, I would be looking for Virginia to join the BIG 10 and VT and NC State to join the SEC.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

NC State and VT to the SEC may happen very soon. Internet fodder of course. But decent people are saying it.

FSU and Clemson to the Big 12? looking more and more.

All depends on the Common Wealth of Virginia. They want VT and Virginia to stay in the same conference... and its up to the Common Wealth as to what conference/s those 2 schools join. Virginia is an AAU school, which the BIG 10 values just as much, if not more, than how many households the BTN gets in to. A school will not be considered for expansion unless they are a member of the AAU. If the BIG 10 is on board, I would be looking for Virginia to join the BIG 10 and VT and NC State to join the SEC.

If one goes the the SEC and one goes to the Big 10, Virginia will be happy. They just dont want anyone getting left behind.

A few thoughts.

1. Tradition of the Big Ten and the ACC has been somewhat messed with. The Big Ten is no longer Midwest and the ACC lost one of its founding members. Also, Maryland acted as a bridge between the South and the new Northern schools. (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, ND)

2. I'm so glad the Big East (which was a complete mess) is finally folding. The Big East was my favorite conference but once WV, Pitt, and Syracuse left and they filled those spots with Boise State, Navy and Temple, I lost all respect. Hopefully, the football schools will split away calling themselves the Metro (all football schools are in cities) and the Basketball schools will add Catholic or primarily basketball schools to Gtown, Nova, St. John's, Marquette, etc (Xavier, St. Louis, St. Joes)

3. It's good that UConn will probably reunite with Syracuse, BC, and Pitt.

4. I don't think that there will be any more moves for a while. If you haven't noticed, the Big 12 is doing pretty well in football these days. I think they are happy with a round robin football schedule and happy with their overall brand. I don't think they would want to add FSU, Clemson or Louisville unless the ACC totally collapses. Because the Big XII stays put, the ACC will too after adding UConn unles they are sniped by the Big Ten or SEC which I believe has NOTHING to gain by adding NC State or even VT. Blacksburg isn't a huge market and the state of North Carolina is dedicated to UNC and Duke.

What do you guys think?

A few thoughts.

1. Tradition of the Big Ten and the ACC has been somewhat messed with. The Big Ten is no longer Midwest and the ACC lost one of its founding members. Also, Maryland acted as a bridge between the South and the new Northern schools. (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, ND)

2. I'm so glad the Big East (which was a complete mess) is finally folding. The Big East was my favorite conference but once WV, Pitt, and Syracuse left and they filled those spots with Boise State, Navy and Temple, I lost all respect. Hopefully, the football schools will split away calling themselves the Metro (all football schools are in cities) and the Basketball schools will add Catholic or primarily basketball schools to Gtown, Nova, St. John's, Marquette, etc (Xavier, St. Louis, St. Joes)

3. It's good that UConn will probably reunite with Syracuse, BC, and Pitt.

4. I don't think that there will be any more moves for a while. If you haven't noticed, the Big 12 is doing pretty well in football these days. I think they are happy with a round robin football schedule and happy with their overall brand. I don't think they would want to add FSU, Clemson or Louisville unless the ACC totally collapses. Because the Big XII stays put, the ACC will too after adding UConn unles they are sniped by the Big Ten or SEC which I believe has NOTHING to gain by adding NC State or even VT. Blacksburg isn't a huge market and the state of North Carolina is dedicated to UNC and Duke.

What do you guys think?

If you have the BIG 10 and SEC sitting at 14, with both conferences interested in 16, and the PAC sitting at 12 (actively looking at expension behind closed doors)... the Big XII might be able to say they are the 4th football conference, but they are hanging all their hopes on 2 concrete programs (Texas and Oklahoma) with a bunch of peaks and valleys like Kansas State, TCU, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State? Sure, having all those school in football makes for a somewhat stable conference. But if you are looking at all the conferences around you expanding and bringing in boat loads of money, you can't expect that these schools want to sit idly by.

Its the dollars. Its always the dollars.

ESPN is now reporting that San Diego State, Boise State and BYU are all in talks about rejoining the Mountain West. Which would deny the Big East two of their three lifeline schools. And on top of that it's a move that makes far more sense for all 3 schools than joining the Big East and staying indy respectively.