Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

ESPN is now reporting that San Diego State, Boise State and BYU are all in talks about rejoining the Mountain West. Which would deny the Big East two of their three lifeline schools. And on top of that it's a move that makes far more sense for all 3 schools than joining the Big East and staying indy respectively.

So the Big East is about... 3 days away from being dead? That means Cincinatti, Louisville, USF, UCF, SMU, and Houston are the only football worthy schools left in the Big East... and they are middle to bottome of the pack. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lousiville and Cincinatti get invites to the Big XII, in hopes to somehow form a halfway decent presence with West Virginia.

Maryland joining the BIG 10 in 2014. I'm assuming some negotiation was made concerning the $50 million exit fee.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

ESPN is now reporting that San Diego State, Boise State and BYU are all in talks about rejoining the Mountain West. Which would deny the Big East two of their three lifeline schools. And on top of that it's a move that makes far more sense for all 3 schools than joining the Big East and staying indy respectively.

So the Big East is about... 3 days away from being dead? That means Cincinatti, Louisville, USF, UCF, SMU, and Houston are the only football worthy schools left in the Big East... and they are middle to bottome of the pack. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lousiville and Cincinatti get invites to the Big XII, in hopes to somehow form a halfway decent presence with West Virginia.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Houston get an invite to the MWC if BSU, SDSU and BYU all rejoin. That would give the MWC 13 and they'd need one more. Houston would be a good fit. And on top of that Houston (or anyone else) leaving the Big East would give both SDSU and BSU an out as it triggers their free withdrawl clauses from the Big East.

Would these moves be football only or for all sports?

Which ones?

The Big East ones.

Again, which ones. We've been talking about no less than 5 different current and future members. You have to be more specific because some schools are only football members and some are full members.

Would these moves be football only or for all sports?

Which ones?

The Big East ones.

Again, which ones. We've been talking about no less than 5 different current and future members. You have to be more specific because some schools are only football members and some are full members.

All of the possible moves, would they be football only or not? Obviously the football only members would be moving for only football. But would the rest be football only or for all sports?

Any Big East team leaving is leaving for all sports.

Thank you.

TImes like this I was FCS, D2, & D3 games came on TV more often. Clearly the tope level of college football has gone full on corrupt. Sadly, I'll likely still watch the new era of FBS football.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Here's the thing with these four 16-team superconferences.. if the playoff system goes to the 4 conference champs.. that renders half of college football useless, including the whole northeast should it be the Big XII that survives and not the ACC aside from maybe Penn State if they can recover from the next four years of sanctions (no, I'm not expecting Maryland or Rutgers to ever compete for that B1G bid). If it does indeed go to that auto-bid system, should they just put the other 60 teams in another subdivision so that they're not just taking up space and at least compete for something? You know, make it I-AA and the FCS into I-AAA or something like that. Basketball and non-revenue sports I'm not that worried about, as either a weakened ACC or Big XII could survive that, as will an all-Catholic/hoops only Big East.

I still think FWIW we're gonna sit on 14 for a while before we get into this 16-team endgame, probably later in the decade, but still.

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Who does ND leach on to if the ACC implodes?

The ACC isn't going to implode. Worst-case scenario, it picks up the worthwhile pieces of the Big East, and Notre Dame is still no worse off than it was when it was part of the Big East.

Remember, even if it's not an incredibly attractive place to put your football program, the ACC does still currently fill the role that the Big East filled for a while of being the easiest point of entry for an automatic bid to a big bowl game.

The ACC won't impode, per say. It will be significantly weakened though. The Big East doesn't really have any football powers and the ACC is down to pretty much Miami, Florida State, and Clemson. We will be looking at the SEC, BIG 10, and PAC as the major confrerences with the Big XII and ACC/Big East as the second level... but that is assuming the BIG 10 and SEC are done expanding. With the BIG 10 going to 14, I don't think the SEC will want to sit back. I think the SEC will be the first conference to push to 16... with the BIG 10 shortly there after.

Depending on how proactive the Big XII is, they could leave the PAC-12 out to dry as well. If the Big XII goes after Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami and Florida State, the Big XII becomes a different beast. That pretty much means the PAC-12 will be left at 12 for good... unless they find value in Boise State and/or the service academies.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/

So this link was posted on Reddit yesterday, it is a blog post written by a former TV executive in 2010 (before any of this started) that looks at the potential value schools add to the BTN. Texas is number one on his list, but the next three are Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland. If this guy is truly the Nate Silver of conference realignment then I would look for Boston College and Kansas to be the next schools to get invites, assuming that Notre Dame and Texas don't change their minds.