Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Kansas's only hope is getting a paired invite with K-State. KU doesn't have the football program to warrant its own. But K-State doesn't quite have the academics. Together, with KU's basketball, they could be the 15th and 16th members, but not individually.

Kansas State is an AAU school with respectible basketball and football programs, in the contiguous footprint of the BIG 10, while being in a state that doesn't already have a school in that state.

That's the criteria to join the BIG 10. Virginia also meets this criteria

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Kansas's only hope is getting a paired invite with K-State. KU doesn't have the football program to warrant its own. But K-State doesn't quite have the academics. Together, with KU's basketball, they could be the 15th and 16th members, but not individually.

Kansas State is an AAU school with respectible basketball and football programs, in the contiguous footprint of the BIG 10, while being in a state that doesn't already have a school in that state.

That's the criteria to join the BIG 10. Virginia also meets this criteria

Kansas is an AAU school. K-State's not. KU has a top tier basketball program. K-State has a good football program and an average to decent basketball program. Each has some of the "qualities" but neither has all. That's why their best bet is a paired invite.

Here's a crazy thought I had: Vanderbilt to the ACC. First of all, Vandy is having a hard time competing in the SEC. They're getting better, but they are a long way off from seriously contending. So Vandy would be going to an easier conference, while still being in a BCS conference, and a conference that has a better academic prestige (which is what is important to Vandy). The ACC would get a team that is very competitive in most other sports (and is even starting to be competitive in football), and it would be a HUGE academic acquisition. It would also replace Maryland. Crazy, but it's something to think about.

• Like 1
b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Here's a crazy thought I had: Vanderbilt to the ACC. First of all, Vandy is having a hard time competing in the SEC. They're getting better, but they are a long way off from seriously contending. So Vandy would be going to an easier conference, while still being in a BCS conference, and a conference that has a better academic prestige (which is what is important to Vandy). The ACC would get a team that is very competitive in most other sports (and is even starting to be competitive in football), and it would be a HUGE academic acquisition. It would also replace Maryland. Crazy, but it's something to think about.

Forget all that academic prestige baloney, and competing in the SEC in football. That's not Vandy's deal. Vandy is more than happy to get their share of SEC MONEY every year. They laugh at the mistake of Tulane, which left the SEC in the 1960s, and has become more irrelevant in football than Vandy ever has been, (to the point that they were dropped from the schedule of longtime rival LSU), and gets no SEC money.

It is what it is.

Kansas State has beaucoup federal research dollars coming in. Their academic credentials are not a problem.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Then while we're thinking, let's think about them joining the Big Ten as number 15. Being a football powerhouse isn't important to Vandy, you even said it's academics. I'd be surprised if they ever left.

If any teams leave the SEC, it'll be Mizzou and/or Arkansas.

Forget all that academic prestige baloney, and competing in the SEC in football. That's not Vandy's deal. Vandy is more than happy to get their SEC share of MONEY every year. They laugh at the mistake of Tulane, which left the SEC in the 1960s, and has become more irrelevant in football than Vandy ever has been, (to the point that they were dropped from the schedule of longtime rival LSU), and gets no SEC money.

Exactly. Plus Vandy is still trying to debunk the world of D-I athletics with their athletic director reporting to the VP of Student Affairs/Campus Life.

It is more likely for the SEC to invite Duke than the ACC poaching Vandy

Seems to me the winning strategy for the ACC would be to lock down Notre Dame for football and add UConn and Louisville.

I think Louisville and Cinci could be going to the Big XII. If conferences are going to minimum of 12, average of 14 (16), the Big XII is going to need more than just 10 teams to keep up with the revenue.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Seems to me the winning strategy for the ACC would be to lock down Notre Dame for football and add UConn and Louisville.

I think Louisville and Cinci could be going to the Big XII. If conferences are going to minimum of 12, average of 14 (16), the Big XII is going to need more than just 10 teams to keep up with the revenue.

However the teams in the Big XII still have their third tier rights which they sell individually. Most schools have contracts with Learfield Sports, which air games on a FoxSports platform in their region.

As little distribution the Longhorn Network has, Texas still earns $15M/year from ESPN. Distribution is not a Texas problem, it's an ESPN problem. They were offered money and they took it.

Who does ND leach on to if the ACC implodes?

I know Maryland takes away from the brand and strength of the ACC, but I don't think they are a terrible loss for the ACC. I repeat, I don't think FSU or GT will leave becuase the ACC is still strong. (They lose Maryland and get Notre Dame?!) The last time Maryland won an ACC football championship was 2001, Notre Dame is probably the most popular team in America and they are ranked #1.

I know Maryland takes away from the brand and strength of the ACC, but I don't think they are a terrible loss for the ACC. I repeat, I don't think FSU or GT will leave becuase the ACC is still strong. (They lose Maryland and get Notre Dame?!) The last time Maryland won an ACC football championship was 2001, Notre Dame is probably the most popular team in America and they are ranked #1.

Just wait till 4 or 5 of these teams jump ship. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, and Florida State.

Big 10 is obviously going to 16 teams. Virginia fits the new Big 10. An AAU Mid-Atlantic state.

• Like 1

I think you miss the point why Maryland and FSU wants to leave to begin with. The ACC isn't making money. This is all about money. Answer me this. We know why Maryland voted against the buyout. Why did FSU? The fact they make half of what UF does doesn't sit well.

Just wait till 4 or 5 of these teams jump ship. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, and Florida State.

Big 10 is obviously going to 16 teams. Virginia fits the new Big 10. An AAU Mid-Atlantic state.

Nailed it. MD is the first domino. No one is done at 14.

"But what about that $50 million exit fee? The ACC recently voted to increase the exit penalty to $50 million for any school abandoning the conference, seemingly an impossible obstacle for anyone looking to bolt. But Maryland, which was one of two schools to vote against the hike, will likely seek to mitigate that fee legally. Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation said university officials believe they’ll likely be able to escape with a payment close to the original $20 million figure."

This is why FSU voted no.

http://maryland.247s...e-Big-10-102131

BTW, this same guy thinks UVA and UNC will also be gone to the B1G. NC State & VT to the SEC? Clemson and FSU to the BIG12? NWO. Playoffs tend to do that.

I agree. I think those are the very logical next steps. VT and NC State to the SEC, Florida State and Clemson to the Big XII, Virginia and Mystery School X to the BIG 10.