Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Does it occur to you guys that the Big Ten probably shouldn't have taken Rutgers. Then they could've had the oppurtunity topics three of the following, UVA, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech or if they wanted to go Northeast-BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame. Rutgers seems like a bad place-filler for the Big Ten. They could've sat temptingly at 13 until they decided about if they wanted to go South or North. Now they are stuck with Rutgers.

Rutgers has made a significant investment in the football program, and its starting show. Next years recruiting class would put Rutgers 3rd in the BIG 10 behind Michigan and Ohio State. I believe they have 5 bowl wins since 2006. Sure they may not be one of the big five bowls, but its bowl wins, its bonus money.

As someone already said... the BIG 10 is going for footprint. As has been talked about before; The BTN contract stipulates something like $0.30 on the dollar for every TV set in a state that does NOT contain a BIG 10 college. The BIG 10 gets something like $0.70 on the dollar for every TV watching the BTN with in a state that contains a school in the conference. It's not so much that Rutgers is a power house in the New York market... its that the BIG 10 has multiple schools with large fan bases, i.e. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Indiana, etc. and many of their schools have extensive alumni networks the plunge into the Atlantic Coast, like New York, New Jersey, Baltimore and Washington DC. A big part of it is not New York watching Rutgers, but New York watching Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, etc.

Its all about the dollars. Its always about the dollars. That's why the SEC has made it clear that the primary focus of their expansion is to new states that don't already have an SEC member college in them. That's why NC State and Virginia Tech make more sense than Clemson and Florida State.

It's stupid to have a 13 team football league if you can avoid it.

It wouldn't be a permanent 13 team league. The Big Ten would never start a season with 13 teams. The Big Ten would invite Maryland and then go after Virginia, UNC and either Duke (becuase UNC wants to stay with Duke) or Georgia Tech-more likely. If all of those teams decline, then invite Rutgers.

That would potentially put the Conference on the hook for $200 million. No, that's a non-starter. And Duke's not worth adding. Georgia Tech's likely not worth adding either. Virginia may be a bridge and North Carolina best fits the Big Ten profile (barring massive academic sanctions for their fraud issues) but even that's iffy for addition.

And there is the possibility of everybody saying no too. Just avoid the risk and wait to announce until you have 14.

Ok, you guys are right. Thank you for answering my question. Sorry for disturbing you.

*sigh* I know Wake has little to no chance to get in the big conference pool, so maybe go independent? I'm still holding out hope for any new ACC breath.

I doubt WF would do well as an Indy. Conference USA would probably be their best bet should the ACC & Big East totally collapse.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

*sigh* I know Wake has little to no chance to get in the big conference pool, so maybe go independent? I'm still holding out hope for any new ACC breath.

Same way I feel about Duke. Hopefully we can join up with Georgetown, Nova and the real Big East basketball schools after this is finished. We'll go Independent for football hopefully.

Personally, in a few years, I think these will be the new conferences (semi-kidding, of course). The NFL D-League will have the top 2 teams from each division compete in a seeded playoff, with two extra wild cards added:

NFL D-League

SOUTH

• Alabama
  • Texas A&M
  • Georgia
  • Texas
  • Auburn
  • LSU
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky
  • South Carolina
  • Clemson
  • Ole Miss
  • Mississippi
  • Baylor
  • Texas Tech

EAST

• Florida
  • Florida State
  • Miami (FL)
  • Duke
  • Maryland
  • NC State
  • Penn State
  • Virginia Tech
  • UNC
  • Georgia Tech
  • Syracuse
  • Boston College
  • South Florida
  • Virginia

WEST

• UCLA
  • Arizona
  • Arizona State
  • Cal
  • Washington
  • Stanford
  • BYU
  • Oklahoma
  • Boise State
  • USC
  • Washington State
  • Oklahoma State
  • Colorado
  • Utah

NORTH

• Notre Dame
  • Kansas State
  • Kansas
  • Nebraska
  • Indiana
  • Wisconsin
  • Ohio State
  • Iowa
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Missouri
  • Iowa State
  • West Virginia
  • TCU

*** Vanderbilt and Northwestern are pushed to the Ivy League ***

What's left of the entire Sun Belt Conference, WAC, Mid-American Conference, and Mountain West Conference (40 teams) plus the following teams have been demoted to the Division 1 Non-Bowl Elligible Conference which operates under the same playoff structure as the NFL D-League, but has their own championship. They're recognized as having a football team, however, nobody cares about them.

• UCF
  • Wake Forest

FCS Schols are Added to Division II

At the end of the season, Division II and Division III combine in the playoffs for the "I Pretend I'm Still Playing High School Football" trophy. If you finish dead last in the Division II/III playoff, a ceremony is held where each of the players moms stands in front of the crowd and tells their sons, "It's okay, I still love you anyway," so that they can believe they have at least 1 fan.

f9ea1c1b-67d8-47a3-9e1d-8a97b4510574.jpg

I see in your future Oregon and Oregon State have no football teams.

Crap! I knew I left someone out. Well, I'm sure they could be stuffed in somewhere.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

So, what does all this mean for basketball?

Namely the mid-majors.

A couple less conferences means a couple less auto-bids and more at-larges, right? Is this good or bad for mid major schools in basketball? Just wondering being a fan of such a program.

Minimal impact upon them unless they get tapped to flesh out an eviscerated conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Even with the glut of TV money being shown to the Pac-12, Big XII, and the new 4-team playoff system for 2014-15, let's also remember two NCAA legislative issues which came down in the last 12 months.

1- Multi-year scholarships. In February, the decision to override and thus overturn that legislation for all those in Division I failed by just 2 votes. In terms of the BCS AQ schools, there were 30 openly did not want it and voted to override the decision. The entire Big XII, Alabama, Wisconsin, USC, Cal and LSU were among of that BCS 30.

2- That $2,000 stipend issue. That is not going to go away since the "haves" would like it, while the Division 1 "have-nots" even in basketball do not. Then again, having a cap at just $2,000 may also be anti-trust as the NCAA found out with their Restricted Earnings Coach tag from 20 years ago.

As Mentioned earlier about VT

http://www.sbnation....nce-realignment

Hehe, someone said something they weren't suppose to.

Denial is usually the first sign.... Just saying.

When this first started with the BIG 10, didn't they deny deny deny that they invited Nebraska, Notre Dame, Mizzou and Rutgers. Then a week later Nebraska "applied" for the Conference.

The SEC said the same thing with Texas AM and Missouri. The SEC denied denied denied, then out of no where, Texas AM jumped from the Big XII and shortly thereafter, Mizzou jumped ship too. I'd be willing to bet that every school, at some point over the last 2+ years, has either been contacted by the SEC, PAC or BIG 10, or has tried contacting the SEC, PAC, or BIG 10 to get a feel for expansion and if they would be receptive to letting their school join.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

This is like a game of risk where there are five empires vying for four sports. Three empires have clinched spots (SEC, Big10, Pac-12). The ACC and Big 12 are vying for the last spot, but ACC is wounded.

The Pac-12 is stuck at 12 unless they bend their academic requirements (to get Boise St., etc.) or get the Tex/Ok four (TU, TT, OU, OSU).

If the Pac-12 doesn't take those four, the Big 12 will be fine. But do they expand?

SEC takes VT and NCSU

Big 10 takes UVA and Ga. Tech (it's all about "footprint"). I don't see them going after Texas/Oklahoma as some people have speculated because of the politics of those states and keeping schools together and that the Big 10 has a manifest destiny towards the East Coast.

UVA/VT are at an advantage because the commonwealth is fine with them splitting up as long as they both end up somewhere nice.

I think the Big 12 has to expand and takes FSU, Clemson, and maybe Lousville and Cincinnati.

***rest of this gets crazy***

The ACC picks some of the remnants of the Big East football schools that are left or all of them (Boise, SMU, SDSU, and Houston go to Mtn. West), simply out of need to survive. They have ND for other sports, and finally realize to have a respectable conference championship game they need to play it on campus somewhere to get a decent crowd.

North: Uconn, BC, Su, Pitt, Temple, Memphis (yes I said this part was crazy)

South: Wake, UNC, Duke, Miami, USF, UCF

The Big East becomes a basketball only conference and adds some schools of similar profile (Dayton, Xavier, SLU, St. Joseph's)

The A10 raids some Horizon and CAA schools, and the whole thing continues down the line.

The group of five becomes the group of four (Mtn, Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA), with the Mtn winner likely in an "access" bowl almost every year.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

ND pres: "We're really happy in the ACC. But I am concerned about continual instability of this conference situation."

Notre Dame and BC to the Big10?

I don't think Boston College. I think Notre Dame and mystery school X (which may actually have an X in the middle of its name).

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Nobody in the Big XII is leaving. The media rights contract is cost-prohibitive.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)