Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

ESPN is saying it's done, and that Nebraska has accepted the invitation from the Big Ten.

Look for all the dominoes to start falling quickly. The feeding frenzy is about to begin.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Don't mess with Texas Dr. Tom.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And now reports are coming in on SportsCenter that the 6 proposed Pac 10 invitees are bailing. Goodbye Big XII.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Interesting, so I hope for Nebraska's sake there was a hard offer from the Big Ten, otherwise...welcome to the Mountain West Nebraska!

As a Big Ten fan, Nebraska is a perfect fit in the Big Ten in most sports and I'm happy they are joining. (assuming this is all true) I can't imagine the Big Ten only moving forward with Nebraska, I think they only way they went forward with 12 was with Notre Dame. I foresee at least 2 more coming over. Perfect world to me its Missouri and Notre Dame, but its most likely Missouri and Rutgers and maybe more.

Pac-10 is gonna be a hell of a conference with the Big 12 South coming in (again, if it falls that way). And although I'm not the biggest Kansas fan at all, you've got to feel for them. One of the best basketball programs in the country but they are gonna be left out in the cold cause they don't have much of a football team...that may be the most interesting stories after the fallout...where does Kansas go?

Pat

Interesting, so I hope for Nebraska's sake there was a hard offer from the Big Ten, otherwise...welcome to the Mountain West Nebraska!

As a Big Ten fan, Nebraska is a perfect fit in the Big Ten in most sports and I'm happy they are joining. (assuming this is all true) I can't imagine the Big Ten only moving forward with Nebraska, I think they only way they went forward with 12 was with Notre Dame. I foresee at least 2 more coming over. Perfect world to me its Missouri and Notre Dame, but its most likely Missouri and Rutgers and maybe more.

Pac-10 is gonna be a hell of a conference with the Big 12 South coming in (again, if it falls that way). And although I'm not the biggest Kansas fan at all, you've got to feel for them. One of the best basketball programs in the country but they are gonna be left out in the cold cause they don't have much of a football team...that may be the most interesting stories after the fallout...where does Kansas go?

Pat

Missouri may not be the lock it once was to move.

One of the reasons given for Nebraska's importance to the league is because the relationship between Missouri and the rest of the Big 12 has soured beyond repair.

And to complicate matters for Missouri, the Tigers appear to be falling down the list of priorities for the Big Ten.

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten said, "Missouri is getting cold shoulder from Big Ten."

Joe Schad of ESPN reported Wednesday that the Big Ten list of interest for expansion goes like this: 1) Notre Dame 2) Nebraska 3) Rutgers and/or Maryland.

In another development, one source inside the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com Tuesday Colorado was expected to have a major announcement as early as Wednesday. But that announcement turned out to be with regard to scholarship reductions for the Colorado football and basketball programs because of substandard NCAA APR (Academic Progress Rates).

CU is the only BCS football program to be sanctioned with scholarship reductions and is one of only two BCS basketball programs to get sanctioned, OB has learned.

The Buffaloes have already served the four scholarships it was docked for football and the one it was docked for basketball.

The timing is poor considering the school's possible courtship with some of the more high-minded academic institutions in the Pac-10.

There is a rumor on the one of the Nebraska boards that it may be Nebraska, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Maryland that will get Big Ten Invites. Now granted the rumor is apparently a radio report and those have a tendency to be fakes.

Missouri might get left in the cold in the pursuit of Notre Dame. Apparently the reasoning for Syracuse and Rutgers is to get the New York market with them combined and to blow up the Big East forcing Notre Dame to move to the Big Ten. Nebraska is the big football program and Maryland is to be able to move into both the Baltimore and DC markets and to move the conference south (as well as trigger the ACC to probably steal an Big East team again forcing ND). The result is Missouri could be left cold with most notably Kansas.

Come on Mizzou :(....I want them to make it to the Big ten, then I don't care what happens to the big XII.

I wrote my end of the year research paper on why Mizzou should go to the Big Ten and I was the only person in the class to get an A (97/100). I'm all for MU/Big Ten. But it's not looking too good

Chip Brown from orangebloods.com stated on Sportscenter that the Texas brass gathered it's coaches and said that they did everything they could to try and save the Big XII, but were unsuccessful.

Chip also said that from what he is hearing, like the member Blaze stated, Texas will not be leaving the Big XII all alone. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado will be joining them in the PAC-10.

What does this mean? For one thing, this all but assures that Notre Dame will be joining the Big Ten. They have to, just for survival. Notre Dame has prided itself as be an independent, but even the Irish are not blind to the future. If they are left out of this massive shift in the college football landscape, they will never be a top-tier program again. The only way for Notre Dame to survive as they wish to survive, as a big-name college football program, is to join a super-conference.

This also means that any team not plucked from the dying conferences will be relegated to second-tier status, and never have an opportunity to vie for a national championship (or receive anything close to "big-time" money). The Big Ten will not stop at Nebraska and Notre Dame, especially if the PAC-10 does take 6 new schools. This will also force the SEC's hand as far as expansion, and they will most likely raid the ACC.

What we're looking at in college football is three Super-Conferences that will dominate the landscape, and the leftovers from the world before the cosmic shift, the ghosts of college football past.

sB9ijEj.png

ESPN is saying it's done, and that Nebraska has accepted the invitation from the Big Ten.

Look for all the dominoes to start falling quickly. The feeding frenzy is about to begin.

ALREADY!?!?!? DANG!!!

And when those dominoes fall quickly, texas is the loser cause they'll join the New Pac-16, which means R.I.P. Texas Longhorns Network.

But the winner is gonna be fans, because They'll be USC vs Oklahoma matchups, or USC vs Texas, Oregon vs Oklahoma et al...

Also Nebraska vs Ohio State now that the Huskers are in the Big 10 aka NEW Big 12. Nebraska vs Michigan, Nebraska vs Ohio State...

It's gonna be some GREAT College Football Theater!

The Pac-16 is rumored to be basically run as sort of MLB model for Football where the two divisions play within themselves for Football with something like 1 inter division game. Basically the traditional Pac-8 is one division and the Big 12 teams plus the 'Zona teams.

With the purported "super Conferences" being formed, does this mean an end to the upper echelon football programs padding their records by taking on the Football Championship Subdivision programs during the season?

With the purported "super Conferences" being formed, does this mean an end to the upper echelon football programs padding their records by taking on the Football Championship Subdivision programs during the season?

Probably not. I'm guess some model will come up for a 7-8 game conference schedule. A tougher conference schedule might mean teams are more likely to schedule the fodder for easy wins.

Jim Delany and the PAC-10 opposed playoffs for this very scenario. To make schools that needed money to begin to look elsewhere for a place to get it.

Once the dust settles from this, there is nothing to lose from the playoffs. The playoffs could earn up to $780 million. This whole thing was basically a scheme hatched to consolidate schools, make super-conferences to have huge money-making machines for all the schools involved, and then further the money-making venture by finally implementing playoffs.

It's a genius move...

sB9ijEj.png