Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Until there are only conference champions in the national championship game/ playoff notre dame will not be persuaded by anyone to join a conference for football.

And with the superconferences possibly forming, that may very well be the case. And ND would definitely be the regular favorites to win the ACC.

Assuming FSU, Clemson, GT, UVA, VT and NC State leave and, say, the ACC gets back to 14 by adding Cincinnati, UConn, South Florida, Army and Navy in addition to ND, the conference could look like this:

Boston College

UConn

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

Louisville

Cincinnati

Notre Dame

Army

Navy

Wake Forest

UNC

Duke

USF

Miami

Notre Dame has a chance to dominate. Miami's only relevant, it seems, every so often. Louisville will tough at times but, all-in-all, the Irish could take a playoff spot almost year-in-year-out.

I don't see how the Pac gets to 16 without taking a Boise St. or SDSU. The Big 12 schools would leave a lot of cash (all their TV money) on the table if they left the Big XII.

I also don't see the ACC going after South Florida too much. If FSU/Clemson go Big XII or (I mean when) the BIG goes expanding (they would likely add two more to get to 16), adding Cincy and UConn gives the ACC a nice 14 for football and 15 for everything else.

And the ACC at the last expansion said they were waiting to add more than Louisville because they knew Cincy and UConn will come running at the drop of a hat.

So it looks like the losers are possibly South Florida and almost certainly the CUSA teams thinking they were heading to a greener pasture.

Would St. Jospeh's be considered for the Catholic League? Them, Butler, XU, SLU, UD, plus the seven is a nice 12 team league.

St. Joe's is still a contender for the Catholic League if Creighton, Gonzaga and St. Mary's say no. While as a hawks fan, I would love St. Joe to play Georgetown at least once a year, I don't think it will happen. There's always the possibility though.

I don't see how the Pac gets to 16 without taking a Boise St. or SDSU. The Big 12 schools would leave a lot of cash (all their TV money) on the table if they left the Big XII.

I also don't see the ACC going after South Florida too much. If FSU/Clemson go Big XII or (I mean when) the BIG goes expanding (they would likely add two more to get to 16), adding Cincy and UConn gives the ACC a nice 14 for football and 15 for everything else.

And the ACC at the last expansion said they were waiting to add more than Louisville because they knew Cincy and UConn will come running at the drop of a hat.

So it looks like the losers are possibly South Florida and almost certainly the CUSA teams thinking they were heading to a greener pasture.

Would St. Jospeh's be considered for the Catholic League? Them, Butler, XU, SLU, UD, plus the seven is a nice 12 team league.

St. Joe's is still a contender for the Catholic League if Creighton, Gonzaga and St. Mary's say no. While as a hawks fan, I would love St. Joe to play Georgetown at least once a year, I don't think it will happen. There's always the possibility though.

St. Joe'd, IMO, would be a reasonable choice. Gonzaga and St. Mary's are just too far of a distance away. Hell go after LaSalle and Duquesne to try and take in as many Catholic schools as possible. (Only a small percentage serious there)

Until there are only conference champions in the national championship game/ playoff notre dame will not be persuaded by anyone to join a conference for football.

And with the superconferences possibly forming, that may very well be the case. And ND would definitely be the regular favorites to win the ACC.

Assuming FSU, Clemson, GT, UVA, VT and NC State leave and, say, the ACC gets back to 14 by adding Cincinnati, UConn, South Florida, Army and Navy in addition to ND, the conference could look like this:

Boston College

UConn

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

Louisville

Cincinnati

Notre Dame

Army

Navy

Wake Forest

UNC

Duke

USF

Miami

Notre Dame has a chance to dominate. Miami's only relevant, it seems, every so often. Louisville will tough at times but, all-in-all, the Irish could take a playoff spot almost year-in-year-out.

IMO, there's no way UNC gets left behind. If the Tar Heels aren't chosen by the Big Ten, then the SEC will take them over NC State. Also, I think adding Army and USF just waters down the league too much. I understand adding Navy if it convinces Notre Dame to become a full member and Cincy for Louisville, but Army and USF just don't make sense to me.

My ideal layout:

CATHOLIC AMERICAN CONFERENCE (CAC)

East (Neumann Division for men's sports, Cabrini Division for women's)

Georgetown

Providence

Seton Hall

St. John's

Villanova

Insert other East Coast school here (Duquesne/St. Joe's/La Salle/St. Bonaventure)

West (Jogues Division for men's sports, Tekawitha Division for women's)

Creighton

Dayton

DePaul

Marquette

Saint Louis

Xavier

bYhYmxh.png

I can't see St. Joseph's being seriously considered for the Catholic League as I wouldn't think 'Nova would give up their ownership of the Philadelphia market in that league.

6fQjS3M.png

Boston College

UConn

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

Louisville

Cincinnati

Notre Dame

Army

Navy

Wake Forest

UNC

Duke

USF

Miami

Miami's only relevant every so often, yet Notre Dame has one great season and they have a chance to dominate?

I can't see St. Joseph's being seriously considered for the Catholic League as I wouldn't think 'Nova would give up their ownership of the Philadelphia market in that league.

Nova has no ownership of the market. It is extremely provincial. In my opinion, only Temple has a significant fan base of non-affiliated people, with the other 5 schools followed by their alumni and not cared about by most others. IMO having St Joes in the same conference would benefit both schools.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can the schools that committed to join the Big East prior to the Catholic exodus bail without penalty?

Reports use name two schools most often, but Forbes reports that they all have a way to leave.

Houston reportedly has an out clause if the TV deal is not as large as promised then they joined.

Boise St. reportedly has a buyout of decreasing value depending on factors such as membership and TV contract, but note that Boise's "membership" fee was just taking TV 25% of the revenue off the top before they receive it over four years.

My ideal layout:

Georgetown

Providence

Seton Hall

St. John's

Villanova

Insert other East Coast school here (Duquesne/St. Joe's/La Salle/St. Bonaventure)

Creighton

Dayton

DePaul

Marquette

Saint Louis

Xavier

Give St. Joe's that spot and this looks pretty good.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

My ideal layout:

Georgetown

Providence

Seton Hall

St. John's

Villanova

Creighton

Dayton

DePaul

Marquette

Saint Louis

Xavier

Thank you...they might also want to get Detroit for the West and one other for the East (St. Bonaventure or Duquesne)

bYhYmxh.png

Nova has no ownership of the market. It is extremely provincial. In my opinion, only Temple has a significant fan base of non-affiliated people, with the other 5 schools followed by their alumni and not cared about by most others. IMO having St Joes in the same conference would benefit both schools.

While that might not be the reality of the situation, that could be Nova's perspective on the situation.

6fQjS3M.png

My ideal layout:

Georgetown

Providence

Seton Hall

St. John's

Villanova

Creighton

Dayton

DePaul

Marquette

Saint Louis

Xavier

Thank you...they might also want to get Detroit for the West and one other for the East (St. Bonaventure or Duquesne)

Aside from inflicting Vitale on the world, Detroit Mercy isn't known for basketball prowess. And I'm not sure the Bonnies and Dukes move the dial enough to merit inclusion.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While that might not be the reality of the situation, that could be Nova's perspective on the situation.

Sure, it could be, and back in the Rollie days when he was breaking up the big 5(6), it certainly was. The current leadership, with Jay Wright a big part of it, is more "Philly friendly" and has made efforts to reconnect with the other schools, plus Phil Martelli has great relationships with the other school admistratiors so unless there was a major financial implication, I could see Nova being open to it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With the Big East non-FBS 7 officially leaving, Andy Katz put this in his blog about how the Big East will look in the next few years as of now, barring any other defections and early exiting teams.

Unless Notre Dame can get out early to the ACC, this is how the conference will look in 2013-14:

UConn

Cincinnati

South Florida

Louisville

Rutgers

Notre Dame

Memphis

Temple

SMU

Central Florida

Houston

Villanova

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John’s

Marquette

DePaul

Football-only members: Boise State and San Diego State

This would be the lineup for the Big East in 2014-15 once Louisville and Notre Dame go to the ACC and Rutgers heads to the Big Ten:

UConn

Cincinnati

South Florida

Memphis

Temple

Houston

SMU

Central Florida

Villanova

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John’s

Marquette

DePaul

Tulane

Football-only members: San Diego State, Boise State and East Carolina

And the Big East in 2015-16 when the seven split off to form a new league:

UConn

Cincinnati

South Florida

Memphis

Tulane

Temple

Houston

SMU

Central Florida

Football-only members: San Diego State, Boise State, East Carolina and Navy

As we expected, just Conference USA with a couple Mountain West schools and only a few legitimate Big East schools that, in all likelihood, are just trying to find some place else to go.

Here's how I believe is the best possible way for all 5 power conferences going to 16 schools and yet all 5 surviving. Just a thought. Some school placements in conferences are just to fill a final spot, such as UMass in the ACC and UNLV in the Pac-12. Not really suggesting they'd end up there. And the Pac-12 additions are desperation picks if they are unable to secure any or all of the Oklahoma/Texas-4 schools. I also combined the Mountain West and Conference USA/Big East into one 24 school conference.

NCAA_Realignment_PowerConf_12-16-12.png

EDIT: Divisions are just geographical for the purpose of showing divisions. Align however.

Here's how I believe is the best possible way for all 5 power conferences going to 16 schools and yet all 5 surviving. Just a thought. Some school placements in conferences are just to fill a final spot, such as UMass in the ACC and UNLV in the Pac-12. Not really suggesting they'd end up there. And the Pac-12 additions are desperation picks if they are unable to secure any or all of the Oklahoma/Texas-4 schools. I also combined the Mountain West and Conference USA/Big East into one 24 school conference.

NCAA_Realignment_PowerConf_12-16-12.png

Michigan and Ohio State are NOT going to be in the same division. Not sure why people think they are going to be in the same division... it doesn't make sense.

As for the Big East... I don't see UCONN or Cinci NOT being added to either the Big XII or ACC. Yes, both have rather small stadium compared to Texas and Oklahoma... but they have access to NFL size stadiums that can hold the huge fan base of the big boys. Whether they go to the ACC or Big XII or what is going to depend on what the B16 TEN and SEC do.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES