Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I wonder where Baylor, ISU, Kansas, and Kansas State would do next if that happens?

Second-tier programs.

I think we're looking at a situation where, if you're not in a Super Conference, you're gonna be fuuuuuuu*ked...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nebraska first....

Mizzou and Texas next....

Colorado even?....

To put it lightly, the Big XII is :censored:ED.

I wonder where Baylor, ISU, Kansas, and Kansas State would do next if that happens?

The most logical option would be that the Mountain West adds those 4 plus Boise State to hit 14 teams and becom the de facto replacement in the BCS for the Big XII

The most logical option would be that the Mountain West adds those 4 plus Boise State to hit 14 teams and becom the de facto replacement in the BCS for the Big XII

I don't think the BCS will be around after all of this goes down...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nebraska first....

Mizzou and Texas next....

Colorado even?....

To put it lightly, the Big XII is :censored:ED.

The fate that awaits all good ronin.

Seppuku.

Can someone explain to me why NU leaving made Texas and texas A and M think that the big XII was completely over with? Why not invite Pitt, Rutgers, etc and carry on with 12? I know I am missing something.

Setting aside the fact Rutgers and Pitt don't make enough to afford routine flights to Texas with unbalanced revenue sharing...

Nebraska is still the Big XII North's flagship program. If the cornerstone of one division is pulling out, along with a couple other members, you aren't going to be able to adequately replace them. In that situation, it is every man for themselves.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well if only Nebraska left I guess the Big 12 could technically stay alive (although in a weakened state). They could add a TCU and move Oklahoma to the north and set up the scheduling like the ACC where you have one team int he other division you play every year. That way you still have a a marquee team in each division for the Championship game.

The problem is it appears the Pac-10 is expanding no matter what (either the Big 6 team raid or to 12 teams). Colorado looks like they will get an invite even if the Pac-10 expands to 12. That means you lose another north team. Add Missouri possibly leaving too and that is 2 teams leaving. You can't replace that with what is left to take.

So the very latest rumors are that the Big Ten will also invite Syracuse, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and Maryland to join. Pierce the heavens, baby.

Presumably Missouri prays that Notre Dame remains stubbornly obstinate about their independence in this scenario.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well if only Nebraska left I guess the Big 12 could technically stay alive (although in a weakened state). They could add a TCU and move Oklahoma to the north and set up the scheduling like the ACC where you have one team int he other division you play every year. That way you still have a a marquee team in each division for the Championship game.

The problem is it appears the Pac-10 is expanding no matter what (either the Big 6 team raid or to 12 teams). Colorado looks like they will get an invite even if the Pac-10 expands to 12. That means you lose another north team. Add Missouri possibly leaving too and that is 2 teams leaving. You can't replace that with what is left to take.

Replacing a large, public school with a much smaller, private school would not help out the Big XII since that move does not replace a media market you had. The only think that would do was actually give Amon G. Carter Stadium sell outs of 45k.

On Feb. 8, the Pac-10 made their biggest move of all. They hired Kevin Weiberg as their CEO. Weinberg previous jobs in the past five years were:

Big XII Commissioner (1998?2007)

Big Ten Network VP of Planning & Development (2007-2008)

iHoops CEO (2008-2010)

He knows ALL the numbers in terms of what the schools make and the impact of a cable network.

So the very latest rumors are that the Big Ten will also invite Syracuse, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and Maryland to join. Pierce the heavens, baby.

Presumably Missouri prays that Notre Dame remains stubbornly obstinate about their independence in this scenario.

Maryland, eh?

I wonder how the ACC would respond.

Presumably brokering a merger with the shell-shocked football survivors of the Big East after the SEC steals those ACC programs least concerned about the amount of cheating that goes on in conference (so no, Georgia Tech wouldn't be leaving).

Today, we are all otaku.

Is there any possibility of doing football-only conferences, with the "traditional" conferences remaining for the other sports?

I know it's highly unlikely, but these shifts pretty well ruin college basketball.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Is there any possibility of doing football-only conferences, with the "traditional" conferences remaining for the other sports?

I know it's highly unlikely, but these shifts pretty well ruin college basketball.

Pretty much every conference will be like the Big East. It'll change everything about college basketball.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Maryland, eh?

I wonder how the ACC would respond.

Presumably brokering a merger with the shell-shocked football survivors of the Big East after the SEC steals those ACC programs least concerned about the amount of cheating that goes on in conference (so no, Georgia Tech wouldn't be leaving).

There are some items which we do not bring up (we have already talked about media markets and "educational pedigree"), but the Big Ten has the largest, most widespread alumni base than any conference.

As for the ACC, last month, they did their TV deal last month and basically doubled their annual incomestarting next year, but were like the Big XII in they were not sharing revenue equally among teams.

I stated this earlier in the thread, but I think Maryland would accept that invitation. I hear alot of fans complain about the "Carolina bias" in offciating. This may be the school's chance to move out of the shadows of the Carolina teams.

That's what I hated about the 2004 ACC expansion. It didn't really make football any better, the championship game was always boring. Then basketball was completely ruined. I use to be a huge college basketball (ACC specifically), but the expansion made me slowly lose interest. This year I only watched a couple tournament games. I can see these potential Super Conferences doing the same for other college basketball fans.

I haven't been keeping up with this over the past few weeks and to go back now and read this topic it's pretty surreal. There could be some huge changes next year. As a fan of an up and coming program it's definitely interesting to see how this all plays out and if there's potential for even more upward mobility.

I stated this earlier in the thread, but I think Maryland would accept that invitation. I hear alot of fans complain about the "Carolina bias" in offciating. This may be the school's chance to move out of the shadows of the Carolina teams.

That's what I hated about the 2004 ACC expansion. It didn't really make football any better, the championship game was always boring. Then basketball was completely ruined. I use to be a huge college basketball (ACC specifically), but the expansion made me slowly lose interest. This year I only watched a couple tournament games. I can see these potential Super Conferences doing the same for other college basketball fans.

Miami & FSU Football has been watered down for the most part since Miami came. Especially Miami, never won an ACC Title.

Does anyone else feel like this is like a war? 3 dominant "empires" trying to capture other countries and leaving the survivors to fight for their own. Haha this just feels like WWIII for College sports. Sort of Depressing actually

This is a giant game of risk.