Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I'm honestly surprised they invited Creighton already... I figured they'd wait at least a year. Now half the Horizon League is jockeying for position to replace them in the Missouri Valley. I'd say the most likely candidates are UIC, Wright State and Milwaukee, in that order. My guess is all but the four Illinois teams would love to have UIC, but I'm not sure how that effects their chances of joining one way or the other. Wright State has an on-campus arena and plays baseball, but if Milwaukee might leap-frog their way to the top of the MVC want list if they take ownership of the old MECCA building.

It's 3 Illinois schools ;) But UIC doesn't typically provide an RPI boost for anyone, which is going to make it a hard sell.

Apparently, the MVC is in no rush to replace Creighton, or so they say, but major market schools such as Denver, Milwaukee and Belmont (Nashville) are on their list.

http://www.foxnews.c...place-big-east/

Um wow, Fox News does sports. What's next? Mother Jones covering SEC spring football?

MSNBC does news so I guess anything's possible.

• Like 1

It's amazing to think about how far Butler has come in the past five years. If this was all taking place before their Final Four runs, they may not have been on the Big East/Catholic 7's radar screen at all.

A few years ago, they were stuck(?) in the Horizon League. Now they're joining forces with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and some other historic programs.

It's really not all that surprising when you consider Marquette, Notre Dame, Xavier, Dayton and Saint Louis have all been Horizon League members at one point or another.

Not two years before joining the Big East/Catholic 7 (at least that I can recall . . . but then I don't remember Notre Dame being in the MCC/Horizon League). It's not so much the path that is surprising as it is the speed with which they made the journey.

Notre Dame did actually jump straight to the Big East from the MCC. You probably don't remember because I certainly don't remember anyone caring about Notre Dame basketball until they made the jump.

That's not to take anything away from Butler's success, of course... they deserve every bit of the rewards they're reaping.

It's 3 Illinois schools ;) But UIC doesn't typically provide an RPI boost for anyone, which is going to make it a hard sell.

D'oh! Once again I've mashed up the MVC membership with the MVFC membership in my head.

Apparently, the MVC is in no rush to replace Creighton, or so they say, but major market schools such as Denver, Milwaukee and Belmont (Nashville) are on their list.

Encouraging news for Milwaukee if true, but I'm not sure how seriously I can take that report since it says they're looking at "schools in or near major markets in the geographic footprint of the Valley and with strong basketball tradition." Basketball is more/less an afterthought at Denver... their flagship sport is hockey. I don't know much about Belmont, but after some quick research, the only knock on them I can see is that their arena is small (5,085 capacity) by MVC standards. That, or the MVC must really not be impressed with the competition they've faced in the OVC (especially if they want our dysfunctional arses).

The Ohio Valley Conference is historically a peg below the Horizon. Although I suspect as far as basketball goes both are better than the Summit League.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Considering 7/9ths of the Horizon League jumped to there from the Summit/Mid-Con, I'd say that's a fair statement. Although before the mass exodus of Mid-Con teams to the MCC (Horizon), it was actually considered a step up from the OVC. Youngstown State left the OVC for the Mid-Con in the late 80s.

You know who I'm proposing the MVC adds? Northern Illinois. They certainly fit in the market and could be a gateway for other potential additions (Milwaukee, UIC...Green Bay maybe?). Have them join the Conference Formerly Known as the Big East for football only, and the Missouri Valley for all other sports...

bYhYmxh.png

You know who I'm proposing the MVC adds? Northern Illinois. They certainly fit in the market and could be a gateway for other potential additions (Milwaukee, UIC...Green Bay maybe?). Have them join the Conference Formerly Known as the Big East for football only, and the Missouri Valley for all other sports...

You mean the Northern Illinois basketball team that has won 10 games in the last two years and infamously got held to 4 points in one half this season? You'd be laughed out of the frickin' room.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's right...but then again, NIU will certainly be on some bigger FBS conference's radar now, so that was to provide a different home for the b-ball conference.

Moving on now...should they win today (or even with a close loss), I bet FGCU will be on the Sun Belt's radar. I'd think they want to regain the Florida presence they're losing now that FIU and FAU are going to C-USA. The only thing I could see getting in the way is the fact that the Eagles are still only "considering considering" adding football, a decision being "5-10 years away". Still, if UALR and UTA will be non-football members, there's no reason FGCU can't be too.

bYhYmxh.png

That's right...but then again, NIU will certainly be on some bigger FBS conference's radar now, so that was to provide a different home for the b-ball conference.

Moving on now...should they win today (or even with a close loss), I bet FGCU will be on the Sun Belt's radar. I'd think they want to regain the Florida presence they're losing now that FIU and FAU are going to C-USA. The only thing I could see getting in the way is the fact that the Eagles are still only "considering considering" adding football, a decision being "5-10 years away". Still, if UALR and UTA will be non-football members, there's no reason FGCU can't be too.

The shattered wreckage formerly known as the Big East likely has enough institutional memory of the DePaul fiasco to realize that Northern Illinois will not deliver Chicago either and that means the Huskies are stuck in the MAC. Likewise Conference USA would only represent a lateral move for them, and the ACC and Big Ten have no reason to add them.

/This also ignores that Illinois state schools at the moment are likely a bad bargain and certain to be financial weak sisters, what with the state missing deferring payments and everything.

The Sun Belt wants football schools. That is where the existential threat to the Conference would come from.

Today, we are all otaku.

Green Bay's athletic budget is way too small for the MVC's liking, and if the 3 Illinois schools won't let UIC in despite being a major market team with an on-campus arena and a shiny new baseball field, they're definitely not going to change their mind for NIU. As much as I want Milwaukee to join, even I have to admit UIC would probably be the best possible addition for the MVC if not for the politics surrounding both parties.

I don't know much about Belmont, but after some quick research, the only knock on them I can see is that their arena is small (5,085 capacity) by MVC standards. That, or the MVC must really not be impressed with the competition they've faced in the OVC (especially if they want our dysfunctional arses).

This was Belmon't first year in the OVC. They paid over $200K to leave the Atlantic Sun a year early. They decided to move to the OVC because they would have reduced reduced costs and missed classes. They claim to have already had saved the exit fee in travel expenses already.

More importantly, they moves to have greater attendance for basketball. Belmont admits they were not drawing well with the Atlantic Sun opponents who game to town. However since the OVC is headquartered in Nashville, and a third of the league is a two hour drive away and it encourages both the alumni base/fan interest of the member schools to buy tickets.

Appalachian State & Georgia Southern to move up to the FBS and be admitted to the Sun Belt Conference.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_753216e0-956f-11e2-b44c-001a4bcf6878.html

It's been great to be a big fish in a small pond, but the pond known as FCS is drying up and this could be the beginning of another mass exodus

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Appalachian State & Georgia Southern to move up to the FBS and be admitted to the Sun Belt Conference.

http://www.journalno...1a4bcf6878.html

It's been great to be a big fish in a small pond, but the pond known as FCS is drying up and this could be the beginning of another mass exodus

Really, all that's happening is that the BCS is becoming the new FBS, and the mid-major FBS conferences are becoming the new FCS.

Should the CAA just merge with the SoCon and get it over with?

I must say the concept of a bunch of New England schools playing football under the "Southern Conference" banner would be dadaism of the highest order.

Of course, so would Northeastern, Drexel, and Hofstra in all sports.

Today, we are all otaku.

I must say the concept of a bunch of New England schools playing football under the "Southern Conference" banner would be dadaism of the highest order.

Well they might go back to America east or Patriot league or heck maybe the MAAC, lets be honest I think we are gonna lose a conference or just have a BUNCH of Div II schools move up.

Auctally I was thinking in all sports but football.

That would be 18 teams. That would be a touch unwieldy.

Well they might go back to America east or Patriot league or heck maybe the MAAC, lets be honest I think we are gonna lose a conference or just have a BUNCH of Div II schools move up.

I don't think a Conference is going to die yet (outside of the Great West anyway). The Patriot League model is a non-starter for the CAA survivors, so is likely the now all-public America East.

I don't think either league is facing armageddon quite yet; especially as 9 teams are plenty to field a conference.

Today, we are all otaku.

But the end game is at 16? Or more?So if most conferences get there and poach others the div II influx will happen right? You can't stand pat right? unless your the Ivy League.

Very few leagues want to go to 16. History has shown that 16 is pretty unwieldy too and that 16 team Conferences don't have a good track record of sticking together. So, no, I would not say that most leagues need to experience massive expansion.

Today, we are all otaku.