Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Said it before, but the (football) Big East should just be called the "Conference of Misfit Toys."

all_misfit_toys_welcome_here-1.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So James Madison, who spent five of the last seven years in federal court to justify cutting $550K/year by dropping ten varsity sports (seven men's; three women's), now wants to add 23 more men's scholarships, additional coaching costs and move up to FBS only to lost more money or to have the student's subsidize even more. Eighty-three (83) of JMU's total attletic revenue comes from student fees. Hell, their student body is already 61% female.

But their enrollment is only 4% Black. Oh, I see why they may want those additional scholarships.

It is better than bringing back the Metro. Reviving a dead league name is problematic, plus it'd be the same problem if they go out of region again (ECU isn't metro) or whatever. This name gives them the flexibility to do whatever they want and it's a nice trick to force people to start calling them the AAC and to get them confused.

I like it.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Old Big East now...

The American Athletic Conference

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=9130997

So now we have the ACC and the AAC.

Ack.

It is better than bringing back the Metro. Reviving a dead league name is problematic, plus it'd be the same problem if they go out of region again (ECU isn't metro) or whatever. This name gives them the flexibility to do whatever they want and it's a nice trick to force people to start calling them the AAC and to get them confused.

I like it.

"One's a real conference, the other sounds like something Bill the Cat would say."

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

People are just going to start calling them the American Conference. AAC is already too close to ACC.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

People are just going to start calling them the American Conference. AAC is already too close to ACC.

Maybe they should have considered calling it the American Athletic League (AAL).

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I like it.

"Metro" doesn't refer to a region, which makes it perfect for this league. Greenville, NC may not be a bustling metropolis, but neither were Blacksburg, VA or Hattiesburg, MS.

The AAC... it doesn't roll off the tongue like the ACC does. I can't believe they would go with an accronym that is so close to another conference's. I guess it could just reinforce that they are going to try and push farther west and pick up more little brother schools in major markets across the country.

The AAC is nothing but a renamed Mid Major.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Most/all of the Missouri Valley beat writers and some officials are saying no decision has been made yet.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The AAC... it doesn't roll off the tongue like the ACC does. I can't believe they would go with an accronym that is so close to another conference's. I guess it could just reinforce that they are going to try and push farther west and pick up more little brother schools in major markets across the country.

The AAC is nothing but a renamed Mid Major.

I see what you did, there. ;)

UyDgMWP.jpg

Most/all of the Missouri Valley beat writers and some officials are saying no decision has been made yet.

I say it's still gonna happen and they're just trying to hush up that speculation until after the tourney's over (one of their teams is in the Final Four, and that's where they want all of the attention focused)

bYhYmxh.png

Maybe they should have considered calling it the American Athletic League (AAL).

They should call it the AA, because by the time the dust settles in conference realignment, it will be equivalent to Double A Baseball.