Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I only would consider the Northeast a "wasteland" for football. With the low number of D-1 football schools, along with the low talent level winds up with several top recruits heading to places like ND, Michigan, Ohio St. or in the SEC puts the schools there at a big disadvantage when it comes to recruiting, Rutgers is the only school that does relatively decent in recruiting. While Syracuse, BC, and UConn are left to rot in the rust.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I only would consider the Northeast a "wasteland" for football. With the low number of D-1 football schools, along with the low talent level winds up with several top recruits heading to places like ND, Michigan, Ohio St. or in the SEC puts the schools there at a big disadvantage when it comes to recruiting, Rutgers is the only school that does relatively decent in recruiting. While Syracuse, BC, and UConn are left to rot in the rust.

When you say "talent level", I'm assuming you mean the college players, not the HS crop of recruits.

Several top recruits go to Penn State or Pitt, but I would not consider either of those "northeast" schools. And neither of them seems to be getting the same level of player they once did. There's certainly no problem with the quantity or talent level of HS players available.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Are Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas-Arlington going to stay football free in the Sun Belt?

Yes. Arkansas-Fayetteville isn't going to create another rival for the affections of Arkansans except maybe as a way to escape War Memorial Stadium for good (AKA the "UAB" strategy.) Arlington doesn't want to expend the resources to add football either.

The UTA football feasibility study is now over 9 years old and was only looking at fielding a team at the FCS level. They received student approval to raise fees for football and women's tennis, but even then they knew there was an immediate revenue problem.

Plus since 2010, UTA has borrowed/spent $160M on the College Park District Project in the new arena, on-campus housing and mixed-used commercial area.

Depends on your definition of "wasteland". For bigtime college football, yeah - the northeast is a pro region. A lot of that IMO has to do with the sheer number of ivy league and other top tier insitutions that don't play or or aren't D1, plus that there are so many transplants in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC, etc. due to the economic conditions in those areas and the amount of jobs / good schools. It's just not as partisan as certain parts of the south, where everyone in a 100 mile radius of a SEC school is born there, grows up there, attends said school (or not even), and lives there as an adult. Obviously that's a dangerous generalization, but I'm exaggerating a little bit to make my point. It's different - not better or worse, just different.

Pro fandom is more regional and less partisan than college, since out of say 6M people in the Phila metro area, they may have gone to 000s of different colleges which dilutes the fan base of any of them, yet most of the non-transplants will follow the local pro team.

It could be argued that the same factors that make the northeast such a "wasteland" for big time college sports are the same factors that make it the best region for pro sports.

For the most part, I think this is pretty spot-on. In fact, I think it's entirely accurate to say the northeast outgrew its need for college athletics quite some time ago... at least when it comes to the more "mainstream" sports like football and basketball. What interest there is in college athletics out there seems limited to sports like hockey and lacrosse, that never truly caught on in the rest of the country.

Depends on your definition of "wasteland". For bigtime college football, yeah - the northeast is a pro region. A lot of that IMO has to do with the sheer number of ivy league and other top tier insitutions that don't play or or aren't D1, plus that there are so many transplants in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC, etc. due to the economic conditions in those areas and the amount of jobs / good schools. It's just not as partisan as certain parts of the south, where everyone in a 100 mile radius of a SEC school is born there, grows up there, attends said school (or not even), and lives there as an adult. Obviously that's a dangerous generalization, but I'm exaggerating a little bit to make my point. It's different - not better or worse, just different.

Pro fandom is more regional and less partisan than college, since out of say 6M people in the Phila metro area, they may have gone to 000s of different colleges which dilutes the fan base of any of them, yet most of the non-transplants will follow the local pro team.

It could be argued that the same factors that make the northeast such a "wasteland" for big time college sports are the same factors that make it the best region for pro sports.

For the most part, I think this is pretty spot-on. In fact, I think it's entirely accurate to say the northeast outgrew its need for college athletics quite some time ago... at least when it comes to the more "mainstream" sports like football and basketball. What interest there is in college athletics out there seems limited to sports like hockey and lacrosse, that never truly caught on in the rest of the country.

Well, sorta. Basketball's still pretty big at a lot of schools (and I'm not just saying the Syracuses, UConns, Villanovas, and Pitts of the Northeast, but quite a few of the mid-majors too, especially with the Big East/Catholic 7 schools and the NYC/Philly schools). Football? Yeah, besides Penn State, which is more of a midwestern school anyway, it's by the wayside. At the FCS level, most of the schools that are dropping their teams are coming from the northeast, and really outside the Ivies and the Patriots there's only the CAA playing it. And then at the FBS level there's BC, Pitt, Rutgers, and Syracuse who are in the semi-relevant tier, followed by Temple, UConn, and UMass where it's always teetering on a debate whether or not they should field teams and focus elsewhere.

tl/dr version: It applies for football, but college basketball's nowhere near dead in the Northeast.

EDIT:

also

Rutgers is the only school that does relatively decent in recruiting.

ppppppffffffffttttttttttttttttttttt (nobody besides PSU does anything in recruiting)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I wouldn't consider the Northeast "horrible" when it comes to basketball, UConn and Cuse are stout programs, at least not as bad as football. The NE's primetime football days were when Walter Camp was coaching and Harvard and Yale were practically :censored:ting national championships.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Oh it's not horrible at all at basketball. Besides the schools you mentioned, the Big 5 \ City 6 is a big deal locally as well. It's just that "amateur" basketball works well with modest fan bases that only have to fill field houses and the occasional game in a pro arena.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...

Any of you board members a fan of NCAA D-I FBS college football? Just wanna say the following:

Prior to 1991, ALL FBS (Div. I-A) conferences had a maximum number of upto at least 9-10 schools, plus tens of Indy schools along the way, and NEITHER didn't have a conference championship game (or in short, CCG).

In the 1991-92 season, the SEC became the first conference to establish one with the additions of Arkansas (former SWC full member) and South Carolina (former Metro non-football full member with Indy football).

In the 1996-97 season, the Big 12 (then the Big 8) started to have their CCG with the merged additions of the "top leftovers" of the defunct SWC (making references to the 4 Texas schools); while the "mid-major leftovers" (Rice, SMU and TCU) joined the WAC, who also made their own CCG (which it was short-lived because most of the longtime WAC schools parted ways to create their own conference); and leaving Houston to join C-USA.

In the 1997-98 season, the MAC also started a CCG after re-adding Northern Illinois and Marshall.

Almost a decade had passed, and due to conference realignment changes on the 2005-06 season, the ACC and C-USA also sponsored their first CCG's respectively.

Recently on this decade, specifically in 2011, the Big 12 CCG came to an end when Nebraska joined the Big TEN and Colorado (along with Utah from the MW) joined the Pac-10 (now as the Pac-12), leading both of these conferences to respectively have their own CCG's.

But presently, other conferences have started to plan their own CCG's in the future as long as they get the requirement when it comes to expansion, which the key number is 12. For instance, the MW recently started their own CCG (with fb-affiliate Hawaii, after the additions of San Jose State and Utah State). However, the conference in question for a CCG at this moment are the Sun Belt and The American (or AAC).

But all aside, my point is that the "Power 5" conferences are getting more power-hungry when it comes to have like over 14 members. The key question is: "When those conferences reach over 14 to 16 to 18 members, will there be possible splits to bring small conferences; just like what happened to the WAC after the 1998-99 season, resulting the creation of the MW?" You be the judge!

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hmmm...Well, I guess the theory should be that after 2015 (when the deal ends for UMass and the MAC), UMass would fall back down to the FCS level. There would be enough members in the A-10 itself for the conference to have football (UMass, Rhode Island, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham and soon-to-be member Davidson).

My only issue with this theory is this: Would Dayton and Davidson be willing to give up it's non-scholly football in the Pioneer League for the chance to be in the A-10?

Hmmm...Well, I guess the theory should be that after 2015 (when the deal ends for UMass and the MAC), UMass would fall back down to the FCS level. There would be enough members in the A-10 itself for the conference to have football (UMass, Rhode Island, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham and soon-to-be member Davidson).

My only issue with this theory is this: Would Dayton and Davidson be willing to give up it's non-scholly football in the Pioneer League for the chance to be in the A-10?

I can't speak for Dayton, but I don't see Davidson moving up to scholarship football at all.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Republican state senators in Illinois currently hold a super-minority. They are bored.

How bored?

Bored enough to commission a study about whether or not another Illinois state school should join the Big Ten.

Napoleon Harris (who in the interests of full disclosure, is a Democrat) apparently thinks Chicago State, which has no football team and an accreditation status of "dubious," would be a fine candidate.

Crazyspin.gif

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Republican state senators in Illinois currently hold a super-minority. They are bored.

How bored?

Bored enough to commission a study about whether or not another Illinois state school should join the Big Ten.

Napoleon Harris (who in the interests of full disclosure, is a Democrat) apparently thinks Chicago State, which has no football team and an accreditation status of "dubious," would be a fine candidate.

Crazyspin.gif

Some politicians just have too much time on their hands. Good Lord!

Massachusetts is definitely going to the AAC. Gives a replacement for Louisville and a travel partner for Connecticut.

Provided Connecticut is still in the American by then. Given the recent basketball successes, it's not necessarily a given.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Massachusetts is definitely going to the AAC. Gives a replacement for Louisville and a travel partner for Connecticut.

Provided Connecticut is still in the American by then. Given the recent basketball successes, it's not necessarily a given.

Still holding on to that slim prayer of the B1G and ACC I take it.

Today, we are all otaku.

Still holding on to that slim prayer of the B1G and ACC I take it.

UConn alumnus, Class of '98. I'm entitled. :)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.