Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Wichita State has been looking at the Mountain West for awhile (certainly since Creighton joined the Big East), it just hadn't gotten any mainstream media play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yahoo! has been reporting that the Big XII is close to expanding.  Seems like they are waiting on 1 more school to approve.  The issue being that Big XII laws require a super majority (75%) of school to approve expansion, however, they only have 7 of 10 schools.  Yahoo! is saying that Texas is the school preventing the expansion.  Texas Tech has voted against expansion, as it has a long time relationship with Texas, as Texas leaded and Texas Tech follows.  The third school is TCU.  TCU is reportedly NOT voting for expansion, because Texas isn't.  Why you ask?  Because Texas was the driving force behind getting TCU added to the Big XII.  Memphis appears to be clawing to get into the Big XII.

Sauce: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-12-ponders-expansion-american-guard-losses-225038355--ncaaf.html

Part of me believes Texas could survive as an Independent program. Seems like they have a long history of not getting along with their conference mates.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

22 minutes ago, lilben777 said:

Any chance Wichita state goes to the big 12?

For who and for what?

They weren't asked to provide information and the Navigate Research group didn't include them.

MBB doesn't bring in ratings and they don't offer enough sports.

11 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Yahoo! has been reporting that the Big XII is close to expanding.  Seems like they are waiting on 1 more school to approve.  The issue being that Big XII laws require a super majority (75%) of school to approve expansion, however, they only have 7 of 10 schools.  Yahoo! is saying that Texas is the school preventing the expansion.  Texas Tech has voted against expansion, as it has a long time relationship with Texas, as Texas leaded and Texas Tech follows.  The third school is TCU.  TCU is reportedly NOT voting for expansion, because Texas isn't.  Why you ask?  Because Texas was the driving force behind getting TCU added to the Big XII.  Memphis appears to be clawing to get into the Big XII.

Sauce: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-12-ponders-expansion-american-guard-losses-225038355--ncaaf.html

Big XII will still have a revenue problem.

If they go to 12, revert to the 8-game conference schedule, they essentially break even.

They'll only add three regular season games plus the conference title game. That's $2.5M/school at best, but they will have to pay a Group of 5 team for another home game and that's a 3rd tier game for TV.

4 hours ago, lilben777 said:

Any chance Wichita state goes to the big 12?

For :censored: s sake, they already have one Kansas school that is horrible at football and good at basketball, why the :censored: should they add another?

• Like 1
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

14 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Part of me believes Texas could survive as an Independent program. Seems like they have a long history of not getting along with their conference mates.

This is exactly it.  And I'm sure I'll get targeted (good football verb, there) as being biased against Texas, but the reality is that UT wants to eat their cake and have it too.  College football is the biggest money maker by far and the core of the Big XII really hangs on the Texas-Oklahoma rivalry.  If Oklahoma ever wises up and leaves, I think the conference either falls apart or moves out of the Power 5.  Sure, Baylor and TCU have been relevant for a minute, but the same was true of West Virginia and Oklahoma State a few seasons ago.  

Look, there are exactly 64 teams in the Power 5.  Should a breakaway from the NCAA ever happen and/or a playoff expansion, it seems pretty damn logical that there would be 4 conferences of 16 teams each, instead of this weird imbalance of 12-10-14-14-14 that the Power 5 currently have.  The Pac-12 is largely protected just because of geography and both the B1G and SEC have way too much money and influence.  That leaves the Big XII and ACC as the most vulnerable conferences and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them fold.  Given Texas' wishy-washy stance on conference unity, my money's on the Big XII.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm personally pulling for UCF. I was accepted to attend there and I have rooted for them ever since. I know they were terrible last year but I feel like it's a good (not geographic) fit. I don't really care who else would be added. 

2 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Or is it 4 teams actually lobbying for 4 spots in the Big XII once Oklahoma and Texas join the B1G?  *dun dun dun*

LOL NO

• Like 3
Today, we are all otaku.

38 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Time to rev up the carousel folks... Why?

Because there are 4 teams lobbying for two spots in the Big 12.

It is still at least five since Cincinnati and David Boren have been talking since November 2014 and used Pacey Econimics (the firm owned by the wife of former Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas) to create their materials. 

And then there is BYU, who really doesn't think they need to lobby since their 70K seat stadium does the talking.

Or you have ideas like in this article being thrown around...

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/05/10/national-reaction-big-12-expansion-texas-hold-whole-thing-many-teams-add

"He also pitched another unique idea for the Big 12 once it expanded to 24 teams (an admittedly unlikely scenario): The Big 12 should create the first two-tiered power conference. I love the idea of college football promotion and relegation, and it could be applied to one conference. Let's illustrate how it would work. Houston and Navy earn initial promotion into the Big 12's 12-team top tier, based on their 2015 seasons. The other 12 go to the Little 12 (we could call it Big 12 Tier II or whatever sounds better than "Little 12," of course). This immediately adds two Sagarin top-40 teams to the conference lineup."